Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 245 246 [247] 248 249 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 418248 times)

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: COVID-19: Ride the Wave, Dude! Edition
« Reply #3690 on: July 19, 2020, 04:53:52 pm »

An inactivated vaccine will not cause the disease it is meant to ward off.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3691 on: July 19, 2020, 04:57:52 pm »

I know that.  But people can still feel sick for a while from vaccinations if only because of the immune system response.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3692 on: July 19, 2020, 05:25:11 pm »

So Heliconian. But is it Bone Fever or Fat Death?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3693 on: July 19, 2020, 06:16:51 pm »

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH-
The doctor “tested positive again because she has remnants of her first virus still floating around in her body,” a hospital spokesperson told The Jerusalem Post on Sunday.
 The doctor suffered from fever, cough and muscle pain when she tested positive for the virus in April, but she recovered and tested negative in May and June.
Starting to look like this virus shares traits with HIV, in that it can hide itself from the immune system (and tests) in the body.  As in, once you got it, you're a carrier for life.

No. If that's  really why this guy has tested positive it's dna remnant shedding from infected tissues as they regenerare. Nothing to do with HIV or viral persistence. This was actually described weeks//months ago, I think I could dig out the links to the papers from my twitter account....

If it's a reinfection its a whole different animal but if reinfection is possible and it's frequent we ought to see a lot of it in the next few weeks as wave #2 hits. So time will tell
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 06:28:42 pm by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3694 on: July 19, 2020, 06:29:53 pm »

So Heliconian. But is it Bone Fever or Fat Death?

Nice.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3695 on: July 20, 2020, 10:08:28 am »

My town just reinstituted a public mask policy. If you're in a business you're supposed to wear a mask, unless you're dining in at a restaurant or bar, in which case Covid doesn't exist and you're free to not wear a mask. *thinking*

Meanwhile our Republican governor is trying to find legal precedent that our mayor can't do this, because Pete Ricketts is a fucking moron.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3696 on: July 20, 2020, 10:19:52 am »

Gotta confess to being genuinely confused why they're deciding to start banning local authorities with stricter ru li es now. Wasn't part of the conservative case for opening up that they were too broad and didn't need to be applied to every location, only hotspots? Plus, Arizona was the first to do that and they already backed off, not sure why you'd see their retreat and think "Oh shit my time to shine. "
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3697 on: July 20, 2020, 10:23:14 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 10:08:05 am by dragdeler »
let

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3698 on: July 20, 2020, 12:04:28 pm »

If the mask is white, covers the whole head and is pointy at the top, it isn't a problem!

Seriously: things I'm seeing, aside from the stupid "breathing your own oxygen is dangerous"[1] is "I don't want to be compelled". I think it was Cowboys For Trump who said that they're happy if businesses could individually choose whether or not to require masks for patrons... and then CFT would choose to not use those businesses that do. Didn't seem funny enough to be a parody, so I'm putting it down just to confirmed stupidity/Trumpite-contrarianism.

Now, I've got some sympathy for "not wanting to be compelled". There are things (safety-related, but not in a Covid-sense[2]) that I'm not too keen on being compelling. I can see the similarities, and how someone might think my reticence in this other matter is as foolhardy (including my reasoning of "but by dealing with that big but rare risk, you introduce a slighter but more constant danger" bit).

But I can't help feeling that if there was an EO by Trump to wear a mask (red, MAGA masks; made in China; all profits, after over-generous government subsidies are applied, piped straight into the Campaign to Unelect Non-Trumpists fund) they'd only have problems with those who question its rather dubious legality/application. That is the obvious problem, and not alleged over-reach.

[1] Pretty much as it was said. Apparently it's dangerous to breath oxygen you have just breathed out (sic, sic, and sic again!),  but obviously people with the virus should wear masks (in token nod to reality, before you wonder if it's dangerous to breath in your own viral cloud again). A very special opinion, that one.

[2] Maybe some things I've already said about masks look like I'm in that camp too (without checking, I know what my attitude has been and it all depends on how I voiced it in words how I might look) but I've never been a "I know my real rights, no so-called 'law' is going to make me wear a mask" person, where it conflicts with my self-assessed risk-matrix.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3699 on: July 20, 2020, 12:12:46 pm »

Some people act like wearing a mask is some sort of complete overreach by the government, when it's literally the least intrusive thing you can do to help keep society safe. If someone has a problem with wearing a mask just to be in stores, they deserve a tattoo on their forehead that just says "Jackass." And also maybe Covid.

I'd love to see the timeline where Trump signs an EO to wear masks though. That would be fascinating.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3700 on: July 20, 2020, 12:22:46 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 10:07:57 am by dragdeler »
let

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3701 on: July 20, 2020, 12:29:48 pm »

The whole CO2 buildup thing was clearly bullshit made on the spot to counter the obviousness of O2 levels not going down with a mask.

Since in order to test for CO2 you have to do invasive procedures, it is far less likely that someone will do a video rebuttal.

Btw: the respiratory system is far better at shedding CO2 than intaking oxygen. If your oxygen levels are OK chances are your CO2 levels will be, too
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #3702 on: July 20, 2020, 12:48:24 pm »

You'd notice quickly too, you wouldn't unknowingly asphyxiate: the brain doesn't start the "oh no you need to breathe" feeling from lack of oxygen, it starts from too much CO2. If masks did that it'd be obvious.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3703 on: July 20, 2020, 12:53:17 pm »

I think there's sort of a mass hysteria feedback loop here. Wearing even a cloth mask can be a little claustrophobic if you aren't used to it, and the people making these complaints tend to be hyped up on anti-mask stuff before they ever put one on, so they just confirmation bias themselves into freaking out and then go on to tell others that those damn Obama masks tried to crawl down their throat and strangle them!

That's the process conservatives have in place of the scientific method, shouting out statements and getting "yeah!" shouted back across the dinner table. The libs just sulk silently when you do that and as such must be enemies of the state.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3704 on: July 20, 2020, 12:55:54 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 10:08:01 am by dragdeler »
let
Pages: 1 ... 245 246 [247] 248 249 ... 459