Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3083 3084 [3085] 3086 3087 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3526708 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Someone Save mastahcheese Edition
« Reply #46260 on: November 13, 2014, 03:12:26 pm »

Have a big project all set to go starting Monday. Have been planning this for months. The network at the site is being set up by a large IT company known by its letter acronym (which is *not* HP. I to the Bizzle to the M, y'all.)

Every week, we've had a meeting where I've asked "are we still good to go on the network being up and running on such-and-such date?"
"Oh yeah, good to go."

Just had what should have been our last meeting, and their rep goes "Yeah, we should have the switches in there sometime next week, so we'll be good to go by December 8."

"......you said the network was good to go for next week."
"No, the circuit will be in place. We don't even have the facility wired yet, and the access points aren't even on site."

Cue me making arglbarglraeg sounds. I've been busting my ass to get a tech ready to fly out there, get a server rushed through the process, get ALL MY SHIT in one sack, then find out that the other vendor (our competitor, who took the network portion of this account away from us because they were cheaper) dropped the fucking ball and has been hiding it (or oblivious to what we were asking) this whole time.

Good part is that my arglbargls were drowned out by the arglbargls of the account project manager.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Someone Save mastahcheese Edi
« Reply #46261 on: November 13, 2014, 04:47:21 pm »

Ok.

So not really a "rage", but it's a mix of feelings that I don't know where to put it, and this thread has the most context, so I'm putting it here.

But to make it actually fit in the rage thread, I'll go ahead with what happened before that, too.

So, I was at the library earlier, and left to go home, so I could make something for my wife for lunch.
So I get home.
"We need to take my dad somewhere."
I don't even know where, but I don't really care, so I ask "what about lunch?"
She says we'll get something to eat somewhere else. We really need to save money but I don't feel like arguing, so I say fine.
We try to find the wallet, and we can't.
"Oh, it must still be in my mom's purse!"
So that's another place we need to stop by.
So as we're driving to her mom's/grandpa's place, she calls them to let them know to get the wallet out so we can just walk in, grab it, and get out.
But she says "[Cheese] will come in and get it"
So I say "You just said I'd do it, and you didn't even ask me if I would."
"It's just the wallet."
"I don't care about the wallet, it's about you saying I'll do something without even asking first."
"Fine, I'll get it then."
"You already told your mom I'd do it, if you do it, she'll start saying how horrible I am like last time."
So she went on saying that not everyone is against me and I need to stop acting like it (when I said it's not everyone, just her family)
Then we get there, and we both get unbuckled to go get it, and she says that there's no point in me doing it unless it's just to punish her, despite me already stating that it wasn't the case, because it was how her mom would treat it.
I go in and get the wallet, it takes about 5 seconds and nothing happens.
I get back to the car, and she goes on about "at least you got what you wanted", and saying "no wonder we're in therapy".
I point out that one of the reasons we're in therapy is exactly for crap like this, where it's just assumed that I'll mindlessly do everything for everyone.
She said "It's just the wallet."
So I said I already pointed out it wasn't about the stupid wallet, it was about her saying I'll do something without even caring to ask. And how it started out like this before, and then escalated to where I'd have to drop everything I wanted to do because she'd make promises to everyone else, at my expense.
This went on for a while, with "it's just a wallet" being brought up 3 more times.
Then we get to her dad's place.
He needs to go to the medicine shop, and the pawn shop.
He needs to pawn off his DVD player for money for cigarettes because he already wasted the money he got from his disability check on booze and drugs, because he's an idiot.
So we take him to the medicine shop. He doesn't even get what he needs, and is told that they will deliver it when it's actually ready.
So he gets back to the car.
Me: "Where to now?"
Wife: "The pawn shop."
Father in law: "No, I don't have my DVD player with me."
So we ask him why he doesn't have it, if he needed to pawn it.
Father in law: "You didn't tell me to bring it!"
So he's literally trying to blame us for him not bringing his own DVD player, and he goes on like this for a while as I'm taking him back home.
We drop him off, and by this point, we're both too pissed at her dad to resume the earlier argument, so things actually get a bit better.
Because we're both hungry by this time, we head to Speedway because their food is cheap as shit, and we want hot cocoa because it's freezing.
(I added creamer to mine to try it, and licked the creamer cup afterwards. Creamer by itself is fucking amazing. Don't look at me like that.)
So then she says that she doesn't have anything to do because she watched all her movies.
I could have brought up how there's still the TV, the DSi, her multiple unfinished book series, etc., but I didn't want to start that argument again.
So we get the rented DVDs from home and head to video palace.

Now this is the part I wanted to talk about, and didn't know where to put it.

They offered her a job.
No application, no interview, nothing.
They needed workers, and she was a regular enough customer there that they felt they could trust to hire her.
I know damn well that this is not an oppurtunity that comes every day.
She explains that she has luekemia and can't really work, yadda yadda. Anyway, after explaining the things she's not capable of doing, and the person explains that even those wouldn't really be an issue due to the work in question, my wife says she'll think about it and get back to them.
Now, there's two parts to this.
If she got a job, that would 1) make finances a hell of a lot easier, 2) make it so I'm not the only one being depended on, and subsequently give me some damn time to myself, and 3) possibly get her to understand that work sucks, and stop acting like my job isn't a big deal.
HOWEVER, if she got a job, that would pretty much blow a huge fucking hole into her attempts at getting disability, which would be considerably better in the long run, particularly if I end up leaving, because then I won't have to feel like I'm leaving someone without the means to fend for themselves.
But there's a third part to this, that she brought up as an alternative.
She could suggest to them to hire ME, which would get me out of the hellhole that is working at Hardee's.
However, before considering that, I really don't want to quit my relatively secure job to work somewhere that could fire me quickly if I don't work out. (Even the morons at Hardee's are reluctant to fire one of the few competant workers they have had for over 2 and a half years, and I'm aware of that)

So... Yeah.
Lots of stuff to think about.

Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Someone Save mastahcheese Edi
« Reply #46262 on: November 13, 2014, 05:23:08 pm »

So... Yeah.
Lots of stuff to think about.
That's... complicated issue.

You think thing and don't make any rash decisions, especially if/when presured to do so.
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Someone Save mastahcheese Edition
« Reply #46263 on: November 13, 2014, 05:31:49 pm »

So to date, Civ:BE has a screwed up point system which fucks up AI decisions, screwed up alien threat (which is basically not a threat once you get your tech on), and screwed up game end (just a single picture, no graphs, no anything else).

>:|
Don't forget the fact that Health is bullshit because they didn't include any luxury resources to make it manageable like happiness was in the earlier games.
Also you can totally get graphs, you just have to go to a certain menu option from the main menu to see them. Find the Replays option or something like that.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #46264 on: November 13, 2014, 05:37:29 pm »

Does your wife actually have luekemia mastah? Like, for real, diagnosed luekemia? That puts her mental state in a more understandable perspective....sort of.

But if the reason she doesn't want to work is because she's banking on disability so she doesn't have to work......that sounds pathologically lazy. Unless she really is so disabled that working would be a true burden for her. Which it doesn't sound like.

And seriously, I'm not sure there is a more low-impact job than working at a video store. If she can't manage that, it's doubtful she can manage any job that doesn't involve sitting around and watching TV. Given that it's her life line (to spending your money) to entertaining herself, maybe she figures if she can get you to work there, she'll get cheap rentals. But I'm guessing you shouldn't do it. Because I can't imagine that store will pay a competitive wage, even to Hardees, and job security these days is a primary concern, sometimes even above wages.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46265 on: November 13, 2014, 05:45:33 pm »

Yeah, it's actually diagnosed, she takes chemotherapy pills for it, but it's getting worse, medically.

But yeah, I think she is capable, if she actually tried, but that's just my opinion.
The Derail Thread

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #46266 on: November 13, 2014, 05:48:56 pm »

... yeah, as nen notes, job security is a thing. I'm... not sure there's much work less secure than working at a brick and mortar video store, nowadays. Another household member switching over to supplement general income, sure, but the primary income doing so? Proooobably not the best of ideas.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #46267 on: November 13, 2014, 06:06:31 pm »

... yeah, as nen notes, job security is a thing. I'm... not sure there's much work less secure than working at a brick and mortar video store, nowadays. Another household member switching over to supplement general income, sure, but the primary income doing so? Proooobably not the best of ideas.

+1. Yea, it would be a stupid idea. A good idea would be, if your wife can stand upright and interact with people (As I assume the job would mainly be made up of) then she should stop lazing about and contribute to her own keeping. Whilst she may be getting some disability stuff, a job would be the healthy thing to have.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46268 on: November 13, 2014, 06:08:12 pm »

Yeah, I'm not quitting my job anytime soon.
I'll talk to her about it, though.
The Derail Thread

Octobomb

• Bay Watcher
  • I like pens
    • View Profile
« Reply #46269 on: November 13, 2014, 06:14:29 pm »

Yeah, I'm not quitting my job anytime soon.
I'll talk to her about it, though.
It's good to see you not letting yourself get pushed around, too.
I saw 5 people with fedoras in my town yesterday.
They're the special biohazard containment agent, out to deal with m'laria.
Sig
Bay12's resident tea drinkers

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #46270 on: November 13, 2014, 06:36:44 pm »

And seriously...as someone who was long term unemployed, it does fuck with your emotional state. You feel worthless even as you get angry at others who try to talk to you about your unemployment. Assuming there's some human decency still in her, a job might do wonders for her emotionally, and for the state of your relationship. Having responsibilities, people that depend on you and work to feel proud of or at least be engaged in, is a necessity for a balanced life. Living an existence of nothing but hedonism and self-gratification does pretty much turn you into a piece of shit.

I gotta say, knowing her condition now (maybe I missed it in a previous post) I can kind of empathize with her. It still sucks the effect it's having on you, but she's got to be at a real emotional low.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 06:43:56 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46271 on: November 13, 2014, 07:30:02 pm »

Local school decided they need nearly 10million dollars to do such things as: Replace the perfectly fine busloop, fix the two sports fields that dont flood for half the year, replace the AC in some of the few rooms that have it, redo the main entrance (AGAIN. They jsut did that about 4 years ago), add even MORE security cameras, put in building-wide wifi, despite the fact that nothing wireless is used in the school, (In either schools, although one does have laptops used, but they are used in areas with wifi), put AC in one of the schools auditorium, replace some lockers, replace a few seats, ignore the gutted art department again, etc. etc.

Also, fun fact about the school district: They routinely fire teachers or lower their wages (When they dont hire new ones who result in two grades getting fucked over in a subject), have an assistant superintendent, and both the super and the assistant super get pay raises most years.
They also havent gotten new shit for the physics department in about 15 years. No, really. The only new shit in their is shit the state gave them or things they gave the school as a new and arent used by 4/5 of it (SMART boards).
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #46272 on: November 13, 2014, 07:33:28 pm »

And I thought our school's decision to purchase like 56 Kindles for the largest class in the school was a bad idea.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46273 on: November 13, 2014, 07:36:11 pm »

My school is basically like that, but less so. They spend lots of money on SMART boards[Although those are actually USED, so its not as big waste of money] for each classroom and televisions in every hallway[Presumably to broadcast Orwellian-style propaganda once they figure out how to hook them up to anything. For the longest time, the hallways were covered in expensive televisions THAT HAD BLANK SCREENS. At least now{as of a few weeks ago}, they display the weather.] while the school slowly falls apart. One teacher decided that a SMART board wasn't enough and bought another TV for the classroom. And we STILL don't have consistent AC/heating. Which is important in Canadia. And the tablets. Why the fuck do we need to spend money on THOSE? Couldn't we at least buy a portable electronic device with a usable interface? Like a netbook? Or a laptop?
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #46274 on: November 13, 2014, 07:55:52 pm »

So to date, Civ:BE has a screwed up point system which fucks up AI decisions, screwed up alien threat (which is basically not a threat once you get your tech on), and screwed up game end (just a single picture, no graphs, no anything else).

>:|
Don't forget the fact that Health is bullshit because they didn't include any luxury resources to make it manageable like happiness was in the earlier games.
Also you can totally get graphs, you just have to go to a certain menu option from the main menu to see them. Find the Replays option or something like that.

Health is certainly manageable - although I thinks it's mostly incentive to go wide instead of tall. Biowells are your friends.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.
Pages: 1 ... 3083 3084 [3085] 3086 3087 ... 3345