Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 148

Author Topic: Trivial findings  (Read 446603 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Trivial findings
« Reply #1710 on: November 25, 2019, 08:27:41 pm »

Getting sent on an exploration or raiding mission counts as community service in the dwarven justice system. At the same moment when the criminal dwarf exits the map, their sentence turns into "No Sentence Pending." This status will remain after the dwarf comes back from the mission.
That should proooobably be reported as a bug. Maybe. ;)

Honestly given the high chance of death, getting lost, or being captured by enemy forces, it sounds more like an actual valid "punishment" of sorts.

EDIT: So apparently material emission attacks can be fired through vertical bars. I learned something new today.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: November 26, 2019, 06:16:15 pm »

Honestly given the high chance of death, getting lost, or being captured by enemy forces, it sounds more like an actual valid "punishment" of sorts.
I'm just exploiting the hell out of it by sending all production order violators on exploration missions to a completely harmless cave nearby. Take that, queen Onol "I like amulets, flasks and low boots" Strokemined!
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: November 26, 2019, 07:35:10 pm »

Apparently, if you have sand in your biome, you can create sand areas on any floor tile underground by dropping water on a floor tile so it gets mud, building a farm plot, then deconstructing the farm plot. Will probably work with clay as well.

Very useful when you're setting up magma glass smelters or magma kilns down by the magma sea. Just have sand or clay collected on site.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: November 27, 2019, 03:36:32 pm »

The soil generated depends on bottommost soil in the given biome, so it's somewhat situational.

Edit: Seems mud man mud isn't entirely useless after all:

||
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 04:20:33 pm by Fleeting Frames »

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #1714 on: December 19, 2019, 11:13:13 am »

It's a bit of a pity that unretiring is so buggy, because there's a bunch of cool things that can be done through hybrid play. I've for example noticed that when I got an assignment from the sheriff as member of the fortress guard, and then later unretired the fort, the mission she assigned in adv-mode was in the mission screen...
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: December 19, 2019, 12:41:25 pm »

It's a bit of a pity that unretiring is so buggy, because there's a bunch of cool things that can be done through hybrid play. I've for example noticed that when I got an assignment from the sheriff as member of the fortress guard, and then later unretired the fort, the mission she assigned in adv-mode was in the mission screen...

That's amazing, screenies?

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #1716 on: December 19, 2019, 12:51:55 pm »

Nope, sorry, didn't think of it at the time. (I was too busy with rep-research)

But the steps to get it are...

• make fort, be sure to set a sheriff(might require a fortress guard, not sure) with a little sheriff's office(other wise it'll be a pain to find them back)
  • make hearthsperson at fort.
  • talk to sheriff and ask assignment.
  • retire adventurer in fort(or elsewhere, mine just died on the assignment)
  • unretire fort, look at mission screen. (In my case, the fortress guard squad was set to kill the spouse of the nighthorror, Ast, who was the cousin of my sheriff, hence I got the assignment in advmode)

I am somewhat curious as well whether creating an mission but not sending out a squad will make it possible for adventurers to receive that mission, but I am already spread a little thin with reputation and the remainder of the books science.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: December 22, 2019, 01:26:40 pm »

Looking around with 'k' I see "Fire" but no smoke or anything.  It turns out "Fire" is a peregrine falcon man parchment scroll.  A manual concerning the classification of combustible materials. 

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: December 24, 2019, 08:48:48 am »

This is probably something I should have learned years ago, but constructing down stairs on a natural floor allows things to pass downward...but deconstructing them doesn't leave a hole. The floor remains intact. 

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: January 03, 2020, 06:31:43 am »

Windmills have implied floor on center tile:

||

The goblin hammerman corpse left foot is stuck on top of it and won't fall down.

Means they're impassable to non-building destroyers, now, when combined with 44.05 downward stairway change.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: January 06, 2020, 11:01:33 pm »

Kids may store their toys.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?
     and
If you're going to kill me, I'm allowed to scream.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: January 07, 2020, 02:11:58 am »

If only kids did that in real LIFE...

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: January 08, 2020, 07:45:54 am »

Those are some expensive toys
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Urist McUristUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: January 08, 2020, 06:23:33 pm »

This is probably something I should have learned years ago, but constructing down stairs on a natural floor allows things to pass downward...but deconstructing them doesn't leave a hole. The floor remains intact.
If you somehow manage to get a carved stair tile designated for smoothing (the only way to do that that I know of is designating smoothing before designating stair carving and managing to create a situations that causes the stairs to be finished before the floor is smoothed), pretty much the same thing happens.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: January 08, 2020, 09:08:56 pm »

If you somehow manage to get a carved stair tile designated for smoothing (the only way to do that that I know of is designating smoothing before designating stair carving and managing to create a situations that causes the stairs to be finished before the floor is smoothed), pretty much the same thing happens.
currently on 44.09, it doesnt work anymore, but on 44.06 or something, i accidently removed already carved stairs by smoothing the area.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 148