Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 343 344 [345] 346 347 348

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 500002 times)

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #5160 on: December 12, 2023, 04:59:41 pm »

Why would you need a 4080 to play DF?
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5161 on: December 13, 2023, 02:46:32 am »

Why do you need 5G connectivity or a server, Dwarf Fortress doesn't take up that much space.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5162 on: December 13, 2023, 06:35:21 am »

Obviously for cloud saves, bro. I'm gonna upload my fort every month so that I can go back and replay my favorite parts.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5163 on: December 13, 2023, 03:11:18 pm »

Clouds? Bah. That's Kea territory, can't leave anything there and expect to find it. The caverns though. that's where every dwarf worth their beard, saves their stuff.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5164 on: December 14, 2023, 02:43:28 am »

I wouldn't trust anything on a cloud server, I mean what if you can't access the internet, it's down, or your power goes out?

That's why I have stuff like that backed up on flash drives and SD cards, because those are still available when there's no power and internet.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5165 on: December 14, 2023, 09:26:33 am »

I've lost a lot of personal data that has been an only copy on USB[1], also other external HDD, CDR(W), floppy discs (5¼ as well as 3½), internal HDDs[2], DAT cassette or even C90. You name it..., hardcopy printouts even. Some 'important', a further amount not nice to have lost[3] and much more that probably isn't worth a hill of beans but leaves regret for not knowing.

That time when the spinning disc no longer spins (or audibly spins but appears to think it doesn't) or the thumbdrive suddenly goes "device not recognised"... Or clearly fell out of my pocket/got left behind somewhere. Occasionally moved data wrongly or failed in some way whilst shuffling. Or the paper got too wet to read[4]... This is the situation the Cloud is meant to help with. A regime of industrial-strength backups (backup of data, backup of hardware, backup of backup-site, ...backup of access method?) to mitigate all kinds of failure-modes.

At least, of course, until something unforseeably unforseen happens ("I'm sorry, customer, everything you uploaded between March and August seems to have been... misplaced?") or equally forseeable but still your responsibility (your main synched device fails out of the blue, you can no longer remember your saved cloud-login details to and you forgot to update your backup email address when you changed ISPs two years ago). The removal of so many other single points of failure is still subject to failures, and it of course won't take the complete failure of civilisation to highly inconvenience many people who take the Cloud as a guaranteed element of data security[5] merely through faith.

Not that I actually practice what I preach, sufficiently. But duplicate your backups ("Grandfather-Father-Son") and distribute across different 'locations' (physical or online), which of course you must attend to updating regularly (or, preferably, frequently). Pre-encrypt that data yourself, whatever apparent protection[6] is already inhetent; choose your own chosen level of precaution, in this regard, even if it means keeping a PGP t-shirt somewhere and learning how to follow the algorithm through with pencil and paper. And, finally, accept that things get lost/stolen anyway. GoogleDrive, 23AndMe, etc...

Oh yes, I've lost much data. With valuable lessons learnt, or unwisely ignored. (Professionally, too, but those are stories for another day/elsewhere. And thankfully that quantity is dwarfed by the amount I've been actually involved in keeping safe.) I wouldn't consider the Cloud as a panacea. Though perhaps it can be wisely made use of, as it happens to nebulously (NPI!) exist as an option.

((But wasn't the original reference to the Cloud more to do with Cloud Computing? That's a significantly different animal, with further arguments for and against.))

[1] Not yet SD, as I haven t really used distinct SD storage.

[2] Or equivalents, which may indeed be functionally similar to SDs.

[3] e.g. painstakingly recorded/saved information that means little except for the gathering, which cannot be repeated, merely resumed with a gap.

[4] The one fate I can't currently recall ever finally killing electronic data, though of course it is a viable one, as would be loss in housefire and other 'physical' disaster.

[5] Which, as I tend to say more often than I think is decent, is two-part: a) Not to lose access to your data, b) Not to lose control of your data. Whether the entirety of your 'private' records end up in the hands of criminals(/rogue AI) is something now far beyond your control, compared to making your own individual arrangements with your own rather limited risks.

[6] Active encryption (encapsulated) or obscurity (hidden behind a keycode). Painstakingly carved into a remote antarctic cave wall using meaningful glyphs of your own design or pervading all the world's major pop-songs  as a subcarrier-wave only comprehensible by one who understands the steganographic method sneaked into every major recording studio. Above all, don't just do what everyone defaults to (or only that). Use your own wits, insofar as you have confidence in them, to make yourself at least slightly higher than all the other low-hanging fruit that may at some point become ripe to be feasted upon.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5166 on: December 16, 2023, 01:10:45 am »

This is precisely the reason for home NAS boxes, IMO.

Specifically, the multidrive ones, --AND CONFIGURED CORRECTLY.  Not as one giant store, but as transparent mirror copies, or better yet-- as striped RAID.

One of the drives in the unit fails? Fine-- replace it with an identical or larger sized one. Easy Peasy. Device rebuilds, and your data is still safe.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5167 on: December 16, 2023, 02:43:52 am »

What's a NAS box?

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5168 on: December 16, 2023, 03:40:15 am »

It's like a miniserver that is only dedicated to hosting files to yourself.

Pff I might have some issues... I realized I got like a very janky backup chain, and I never lost files except for the time someone stole my laptop. But I have issues justifying keeping one computer on, and if it's not on 24/7 it's hardly more practical than an external hdd. I just can't without feeling bad about it.
let

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5169 on: December 16, 2023, 03:41:50 am »

Network Attached Storage. It's an always-on computer connected to your home network (wifi or wired) for easy access storage. We have about 3 active computers in the house, so I set one up last year, but I'm the only one who uses it. Hard to say it was worth it, but also didn't cost much, and has low operational cost (raspberry pi's can be turned into one too, with very low power needs)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5170 on: December 16, 2023, 07:16:54 am »

If you can (without overly stretching your data capabilities) arrange for NAS systems in two different locations (opposite ends of the house or at different addresses) to synch up/mirror, then that's a further point-of-failure tied up (obviously straight mirroring requires double the provided space, or half the available storage[1]). Should there be a little bit of a fire/flood/meteorite-strike upon one of the locations. Or it gets nicked by an 'unauthorised visitor' (at which point, you also want encapsulating in-encryption with in-memory key holding so that it's effectively bricked if it goes wandering away).

...but this all is according to how paranoid you are about various threats to your data, and what you find worthwhile to mitigate against and what you perhaps do not think it worth the trouble for. In the opposite direction you could just stick with your original singular USB-portable-drive plugged into <whatever machine> and either manually copy over or automatically update it across the local network. At least until it is no longer there/usable. Ideally nderstand the limits to your setup, and the capabilities.

[1] "Remote RAID5"-it? Like enforce striped A-Data, B-Data and AxorB-Data distributed between 3(+) sub-NASes, which also ensures that a full third of your data is additionally encrypted? ;) But that only requires 50% extra space (or recuction to 2/3rds the base physical capacity, from the total 'shared minimum' volume of data).

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5171 on: December 16, 2023, 10:22:52 am »

Doing the sync can be done several ways.

file level, and block level.

For file level, the NAS boxes can communicate with each other using rsync in daemon mode

Doing it with block level is more challenging, but doable--  You will need to configure one of them as a slave, that just hosts iSCSI LUN "Targets", and the other as an "iSCSI Initiator" This is more a SAN application however, and not a NAS operation. (NAS devices are file level devices. iSCSI hosts are SAN appliances, and offer raw disk devices over TCP/IP)

Setting up iSCSI is .... A lot... more involved, but will let you create a software RAID configuration on the NAS, that directly connects to, and incorporates the remote drives in the slaved SAN device, as if they were local disks in the array.

EG, your RAID array has drives that are local, and some that are "On the other side of the house".  Suppose you made a RAID1 array, with 2 mirrored RAID4 groups. One RAID4 that is local, and the other RAID4 that is hosted on the iSCSI host, made from its LUN targets.  These are combined into a RAID1 mirror group, so that data written to the local drives, gets mirrored on the remote drives, automatically.

Many consumer NAS boxes support both functions, incidentally-- but not usually with raw block devices.   

Spoiler: Advanced shit (click to show/hide)

See for instance, this QNAP documentation.

RSYNC Daemon setup documentation
iSCSI setup documentation

« Last Edit: December 16, 2023, 10:48:46 am by wierd »

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5172 on: December 18, 2023, 11:40:18 am »

If Linux didn't have such a steep learning curve, I would switch over and never go back to Microsoft OS.  But I can't even figure out which distribution would be good for me, which is likely to have long term support, what the differences are between them, and if the commands are the same or if I'd be starting over with each one.  I know people figure it out, and probably if you can learn to play pre-premium DF, you can learn any software, but I had more time back then than I do now.  And my last attempt got stuck with the internet not working, so I've been disheartened and discouraged about my Linux capabilities, despite all its glorious promises of freedom.  If anyone has any good directions to point me in though, I haven't totally given up on the idea of switching to Linux.  Each new Windows version is a fresh kick in the butt to do so.

I don't have any actual experience on Linux yet but I've been planning on setting a drive and give them a try. From what I've learned/watched so far, my understanding is that I should just pick one of the more noob-friendly distributions and just go from there as the needs arise. Mint is often quoted as a good choice for beginners.

I've found this youtube channel which, while I can't really evaluate the quality of their info/opinions, I like the way the present stuff.

A bit of a follow up on this. I've been messing around with AntiX* linux for a few days now, on an old laptop that I have.

I had a problem** during installation but the installer gave enough info on what to do that it was fixed quite easily. Apart from that, it's been going pretty smooth. Coming from windows everything, out of the box, is familiar enough that for light use (surf the internet, watch a movie, studying etc) I doubt anyone would have any problems adapting to the new environment.

* I don't now enough to compare it to other distros, but it's quite lightweight for an OS (it uses ~200 MB "sitting" at the desktop, for comparison win10 uses ~2 GB), it comes in both 32 and 64 bit versions so it can be compatible with really old computers and it's actively maintained. AntiX devs have a political agenda (antifascist/anticapitalist). They promote it somewhat, but as far as I can tell, it's limited to a few bookmarks and the name given to each release. i doubt it's going to be a dealbreaker.

**It was something about grub bootloader and the EFI / ESP partition that didn't work. I fixed it by installing grub to MBR and then reconfiguring it, using the boot repair tool that was included in the ISO. I noticed later that they do have a different way to fix it, on their site, so I might do a new install at some point.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5173 on: December 19, 2023, 07:49:36 am »

(googles)

It is system-d free (YAY, No hentai init tendrils in EVERYTHING!), and based on Debian-Stable (Somewhat boo-- While very reliable and easy to figure out when something is wrong / get and use packages, since .DEB is well represented in the world these days-- the packages in Debian's repos are... ... ... 'old'...) distro.

It should run basically like xubuntu if you put xfce4 on it, or like lubuntu if you out lxde on it. (Or mint, if you use Cinnamon or Mate) The issue will be that you aren't used ubuntu's repos (which means a lot of stuff wont work out of box, like many network cards or nvidia's graphics driver.)

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5174 on: December 20, 2023, 08:47:46 pm »

When I talk into discord the beginning and end of my voice is ever so slightly chopped off.

My environment has background noise from the computer.

I may have fucked up by uninstalling the driver and messing it up, so I get recurring audio problems.

I'm on windows 11 using discord, and last time I had the problem I was able to fix it.
but i forgot the solution.

Sans ability to fix a driver that was uninstalled (impossible!)
How do I get windows 11 to pick up slightly lower sounds rather than chopping them off?
Pages: 1 ... 343 344 [345] 346 347 348