Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 108

Author Topic: [DISCUSSION] Mafia Gametypes: Hash 'em out here!  (Read 134402 times)

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
Re: [DISCUSSION] Mafia Gametypes: Hash 'em out here!
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2009, 11:42:56 pm »

Anybody got thoughts on my one-lynch game? Also, can someone look at my setup to see how ridiculously inbalanced it is and suggestions to fix?

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2009, 07:37:48 am »

Your game is really just a normal setup with the added touch that NLing will be much much more common.  There's nothing unbroken about it: it's just very PR heavy.

That'll mean the day game should be much quicker (but not empty).

People say that the jester would break the game.  I can't see it.  The town is already too panicked to lynch and would lose automatically if ANYONE but the SK is killed.  If anything, it'll be hard to win AS the jester since you'd have to live to lylo while looking scummy but not THAT scummy and not getting NKed by the vig or SK.

Roles to be careful of are the cop and vig.  Vig can wipe the town out in Very Fun fashion, but one lucky shot wipes out the SK.  The cop is worse, since they don't harm the town but, again, one lucky target on the SK and it's game over.

What to do about it: Vig is ok to add, just know that anything may happen.  Besides, unlike KWN, this isn't a Bastard Mod so there's no problems with just running the game again. 

Cop is messier.  I'd recommend if a Cop is around to put in a SK miller or survivor: something else neutral to provide for fake claims.  You could also give a chance that the Cop is stoned (always sees neutral).  Id put in a Nexused Jester but I'm the host of KWN:DE so you DON'T want to listen to me. ;D

Overall, it's a cute, fun, fast-possibly VERY FAST game.  Know that Vig = Chaos and try to put a check on the Cop's power and you'll be fine.

Note: you couldn't fill up the slots because of the masses of games going on.  After you're done this, if you run it again when we've regulated the games properly you'll see a better turnout.
Quote from: Dakarian
What was I doing with Mr.Person through most of Day 3, lovemaking!?
I KNEW IT!

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2009, 01:16:44 pm »

An idea that sprung in my own head.

Redirection Mafia:

Aspects:
1. Everyone will have a role that targets, such as a Doctor, RoleBlocker, VoteBlocker, ext..  This includes the mafia any any possible SKs, even a jester if one exists (Vig Jester FTW!, Doctor SK wtf?!). The roles will be balanced for a normal game.  Only roles that work at night and use one name will occur (so no Redirecters..*sob* I love Redirecters). 

2. Basic functions of the game work the same, Town needs to kill scum, day will have its lynch, so on so on.

3. The trick: Each night, instead of using your power, you will use someone ELSE'S power.  Each night you choose who you want to control and where they will target. 

- If no one chooses to control your action then you will do nothing.  If multiple people choose to control you, who succeeds will be picked at random.  The controllers will be told if they succeed or fail. 

- The Controller is not told the role or the results of the action.  The Role holder is told what they were forced to do.

i.e.

Litia is a Roleblocker.   I am..well.. me.  RedWarrior0 is scum.

I Control Litia to target RedWarrior0. 

I am told that I was successful and that Litia will target RedWarrior0

Litia is told that she blocked RedWarrior0 .

Balances:
1. the scum-styled kills (the Mafia night kill and the SK night kill) are NOT affected by the control: the mafia doing the nightkill gets to control it as they see fit.  If they perform their nightkill, they CANNOT control anyone, but their secondary role can still be used by others.

2. Cop will be replaced by an Investigator, who can tell what person the player Controlled.  This is due to the fact that they will read a person doing a Scumkill as having 'controlled no one'. 

Questions and comments?  Note, this game won't be placed into play until after KWN:DE and the following BYOR game I'll run next is over, so it won't be for a WHILE.
I KNEW IT!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2009, 01:24:56 pm »

I quite like it as an idea, but the "Randomly chosen who succeeds" could make it a bit swingy...

Perhaps each player has a "speed order" or something like that?

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2009, 02:01:06 pm »

Well, a simple solution is just to make it time based: whoever sends in the action first gets priority. 

So if I send an action at you at 5 pm and Litia sends hers at 5:10 then I succeed and she fails.

however, that'll punish those with a RL. 

The other easy solution is to just let ALL choices go through.  So if two people tell the Doc to protect someone the Doc protects both.

Would bring some fun chaos. :D

(I thought it would be subject to the "all players go on the same person and hope they are the Investigator/Doc" but that breaks apart since the scum can just wipe out the center person.  Having a hidden Doc on standby isn't enough since you not only need a Doc but someone to Control the doc who knows the doc with 'doc' not being a lying scum and the Controller not being scum)

Aka, it's not that easy to break I think..and everyone mass hitting the Vig for multiple kills will be EPIC :D.

I KNEW IT!

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2009, 02:14:42 pm »

Can you make a player target themself?
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2009, 02:31:35 pm »

You can, though Doctors can't protect themselves (it'll fail) and the Scumkills can't be Controlled.

So redirecting onto the same person would just kill Vigs.

Mafia COULD do it but wouldn't that cause an Investigator to spot you easily?
I KNEW IT!

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2009, 02:36:45 pm »

Any more comments on my mafias?
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2009, 04:30:01 pm »

Your game is really just a normal setup with the added touch that NLing will be much much more common.  There's nothing unbroken about it: it's just very PR heavy.

That'll mean the day game should be much quicker (but not empty).

People say that the jester would break the game.  I can't see it.  The town is already too panicked to lynch and would lose automatically if ANYONE but the SK is killed.  If anything, it'll be hard to win AS the jester since you'd have to live to lylo while looking scummy but not THAT scummy and not getting NKed by the vig or SK.

Roles to be careful of are the cop and vig.  Vig can wipe the town out in Very Fun fashion, but one lucky shot wipes out the SK.  The cop is worse, since they don't harm the town but, again, one lucky target on the SK and it's game over.

What to do about it: Vig is ok to add, just know that anything may happen.  Besides, unlike KWN, this isn't a Bastard Mod so there's no problems with just running the game again. 

Cop is messier.  I'd recommend if a Cop is around to put in a SK miller or survivor: something else neutral to provide for fake claims.  You could also give a chance that the Cop is stoned (always sees neutral).  Id put in a Nexused Jester but I'm the host of KWN:DE so you DON'T want to listen to me. ;D

Overall, it's a cute, fun, fast-possibly VERY FAST game.  Know that Vig = Chaos and try to put a check on the Cop's power and you'll be fine.

Note: you couldn't fill up the slots because of the masses of games going on.  After you're done this, if you run it again when we've regulated the games properly you'll see a better turnout.
Believe me, if I show you the 9-player plan, it might be a little different than what you expected.

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2009, 04:48:12 pm »

So evil.. :D
I KNEW IT!

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2009, 05:05:37 pm »

Wanna see it?

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2009, 05:24:06 pm »

of course :D
I KNEW IT!

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2009, 03:02:34 am »

Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2009, 03:10:43 am »

Any more comments on my mafias?

Erm... so, since it looks like you're seeking commentary, I'll just say that neither genre would be one that I'd probably play in.  This isn't because you're the mod or something, by the way.  It's because I am extremely happy to be out of high school (and as such don't really want to revisit it on the fora), and I can't say I'm too interested in stereotypes.  Wow I somehow manage to sound incredibly insensitive right there but unfortunately it's true.

I'm sure that wasn't the commentary you were looking for, but at least it's something...
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2009, 12:10:19 pm »

Eh, that's OK. At least you supplied a decent reason.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 108