Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18

Author Topic: STEAM: Simple Questions Thread  (Read 29298 times)

feorh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: STEAM: Simple Questions Thread
« Reply #60 on: January 20, 2023, 03:30:55 am »

Silver crossbows...
I'm pretty sure I should be able to make them, but my metalforge does not have this option.
What might be wrong?

el Indio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 20, 2023, 09:58:03 am »

Silver crossbows...
I'm pretty sure I should be able to make them, but my metalforge does not have this option.
What might be wrong?
If the option isn't showing up in the workshop menu you could try using the manager to get the job done.

I couldn't select instrument strings through the workshop, but the manager got them made immediately.  There seems to be a few bugs with the workshops (and the manager as well).

feorh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 20, 2023, 11:09:28 am »

I tried both - neither had it.
I'm also unable to craft high boots.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 20, 2023, 11:47:17 am »

Being unable to craft high boots happens sometimes, and has been a thing since at least .31.25.  It's not a bug, or wasn't then, and was a result of some clothing being random between civilizations.  Most dwarf civilizations can make high boots, but there's a small random chance they can't.

I don't think there's anything like that for crossbows, so that's a bit more puzzling.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 20, 2023, 11:54:15 am »

Wiki shows silver crossbows weren't a thing ever, but maybe some mods have included them.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 20, 2023, 11:58:51 am »

Silver doesn't have [ITEMS_WEAPON_RANGED] so, no ranged weapons can't be made from it.

feorh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 21, 2023, 06:25:43 am »

I'm struggling with minecarts.
I'm trying to transport magma. I got minecarts filled with magma, they are in a cart stockpile.
I have a track with a stop pointing north to dump magma in a pit.
Yet I get "minecart inaccessible" errors.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 21, 2023, 12:57:11 pm »

Is it the "Place Vehicle on Track" job that is generating the "minecart inaccessible" error?
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Dreen

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 23, 2023, 07:09:47 am »

Do pets in pens give thoughts?

I don't seem to see pet thoughts on pet owners, but all pets are in pens. So, does that completely remove the mood benefit or do owners visit their pets to interact with them?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2023, 02:08:26 pm by Dreen »

rhavviepoodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2023, 12:25:48 pm »

So on my first real 50.05 fort, I dug out a magma reservoir above the magma sea, as well as a smaller, attached reservoir for mass pitting enemies I want to get rid of. The problem is that some visitors come with items that you want or that won't melt in magma (world-gren artifacts). So I figure this particular reservoir should be built with the ability to be drained. To that end, I know that the magma sea will refill if you pump magma out of it, but will it absorb magma forever, as well? Other options for draining would be building the reservoir above one of the caverns and using that as a drain (bonus points because subterranean animal people are jerks and I dislike them) and simply digging out/building fortifications leading to the edge of the map. Y'all got a hot take on this? Thanks for your time, I appreciate it.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 24, 2023, 11:33:04 am »

but will it absorb magma forever, as well?

I don't know if it will accept magma pumped in at or below magma sea level, but if you pump it in from above, the magma sea will begin overflowing to that level if it can, regardless of magma sea touching the map edge. (Found this out the hard way when magma forced its way up my intake, forcing me to wait for it to evaporate before the intake pump can be used.)
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

feorh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 24, 2023, 11:41:55 am »

Is it the "Place Vehicle on Track" job that is generating the "minecart inaccessible" error?
It seems that it simply took a long time for a dwarf to relocate a minecart from my magma chamber to the shopfloor.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 24, 2023, 07:43:01 pm »

but will it absorb magma forever, as well?

I usually just atom smash my excess magma under several of the largest bridges I can make.  You could also divert it to an obsidian farm and sell obsidian crafts to the traders, or make 1000s of blocks for large sculptures.

rhavviepoodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 25, 2023, 09:48:20 am »

Those are both really good ideas, huh. The thing is no matter how sophisticated your fort is, there's always more to think ahead. Guess I'll read up on obsidian and its relevant mechanics. Thanks for the suggestions.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 25, 2023, 07:37:03 pm »

Guess I'll read up on obsidian and its relevant mechanics.

All it takes is 2/7 water and 2/7 magma to make it.  You can use 7/7 if you want.  Many ways to combine them.  Just cordon off a good sized section of the embark a few Z layers thick and experiment. 
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18