Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 879

Author Topic: Things that made you laugh today: some people notice when 1 change the title  (Read 1560890 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you laugh today: Capitalism and murder
« Reply #2280 on: May 06, 2015, 12:20:56 pm »

Dark Souls cafe. Probably stands a reasonable chance of stopping people from having sex.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2281 on: May 06, 2015, 07:21:00 pm »

So by chance today I ended up looking at the Mac app store reviews for Microsoft Office 2011 (which I've been using for years). Apparently it has hundreds of horrible reviews, the main reason for which seems to be... that it was different from the previous versions of MS Office but people have had to upgrade to read .docx files. I even found at least one review of somebody complaining that it wasn't nearly as good as MS Office 1997! The contrast between all of them and the occasional review saying "Guys, it's Microsoft office. It works fine and it reads .docx, I'm not seeing what the problem is here" is hilarious. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

bahihs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2282 on: May 06, 2015, 08:51:59 pm »

So by chance today I ended up looking at the Mac app store reviews for Microsoft Office 2011 (which I've been using for years). Apparently it has hundreds of horrible reviews, the main reason for which seems to be... that it was different from the previous versions of MS Office but people have had to upgrade to read .docx files. I even found at least one review of somebody complaining that it wasn't nearly as good as MS Office 1997! The contrast between all of them and the occasional review saying "Guys, it's Microsoft office. It works fine and it reads .docx, I'm not seeing what the problem is here" is hilarious. :P

Theres not much you can do to improve a word processor really. Text editors on the other hand...(Vim anyone?)

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2283 on: May 06, 2015, 09:57:54 pm »

THERE'S EVIL AFOOT
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 10:02:32 pm by IronTomato »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2284 on: May 06, 2015, 10:55:33 pm »

Ahahohohohoahahahaahahahahaahaahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I just got back a final exam grade from a low-level course I had to go back and take. The professor had spent all semester hammering a niche issue with personal appeal in a general overview course, and after we had already done evaluations dropped a final exam essay with a "choice" between writing something with no coherent theme and an argument as to why their pet favorite author's novel wasn't that good, or writing about the ideas that they were pushing.

I spent a page of prose detailing exactly the points that they were less than subtly pushing for, then wrote a two-page letter discussing how, while it was hardly unusual for professors to turn gen ed courses into courses on their pet topics, it was insulting and academically dishonest to pull that sort of shit on the final exam after evaluations were done, and that it was borderline abusive to do it to students new to the university and/or the department (just about everyone else in that unfortunate class was a freshman, a sophomore, or an exchange student).

How much was the essay worth? Almost exactly equal to the number of points I had taken off of the grade on the exam. LOLOLOLOLOLOL it's been four years and I finally had the time, opportunity, willingness, and lack of remaining shits to completely call a professor out on their bullshit. I can barely breath right now, ehehehehehehehehehe. This is even better than the other one I handed in today, where due to a combination of circumstances I turned in the completed exam about two minutes after the professor finished handing them out.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2285 on: May 07, 2015, 12:04:38 am »

due to a combination of circumstances I turned in the completed exam about two minutes after the professor finished handing them out
storytime plox

* Orange Wizard pulls up a chair.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2286 on: May 07, 2015, 11:37:58 am »

This is especially funny to me, because this is me at work every day.  My co-workers get pissed off at how I make them look stupid by just walking up and observing, and stuff magically works.  Some people also call on me just to sit nearby when they're having trouble thinking through a problem.  I'll hardly have to say anything, and something will click just because I'm there.  It's turning into a running joke that everyone just needs a little Chuck clone perched on their shoulder all the time, and everything would be perfect.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2287 on: May 07, 2015, 12:30:09 pm »

due to a combination of circumstances I turned in the completed exam about two minutes after the professor finished handing them out
storytime plox

* Orange Wizard pulls up a chair.

Okay, so it was the other gen-ed I had to go back and take when I moved up to the new course bulletin for unrelated reasons. It was a music class, which meant a listening portion. The prof was also lazy and recycled an old exam, but because we had about two weeks of cancelled classes due to ice, we missed an entire unit, and he decided to just give us the answers to the questions with material we hadn't covered. There were only 50 questions to begin with, that cut it down to ~35.

Also, because it was a gen-ed pizzashit, the test was literally scantron-sheet multiple choice, and I've got that format down to an art, ~2-3 seconds per question. I had the first half done between the time I got mine and he finished passing out the listening portion answer sheet, got 1-2 in between questions on that, then finished the final dozenish questions as soon as the listening portion was done.

That's why multiple-guess is so retarded when it comes to looking for a good testing standard. The pattern used to write the questions means that you can automatically eliminate 50% of the answers in ~1 second, or all non-correct answers if it's a false None of the Above. The habits of question writers fall into the same patterns, too; leaving aside the one-right one-almost-right two-wrong norm the most common other pattern is one obviously false and three in the right area, each with at least one element in common with at least one other answer, which is slightly harder to guess but still doable.

You can literally ace tests in that format without knowing anything at all about the material, using nothing but your analysis of the way the questions are structured and the fact that four-option multiple-guess questions designed to take ~30 seconds for the lowest common denominator types are... less than complex. You can either arrive at the right answer in <10s by logical deduction or cut it down to a coinflip guess in ~1-2s and go with your gut. The only point where it can break down is identifying things like names with no other context who aren't well-known in general knowledge.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2288 on: May 07, 2015, 12:42:59 pm »

got a package in the mail
these are the instructions to open it
https://www.dropbox.com/s/phzu9kxcsqo4e26/2015-05-06%2014.06.54.jpg?dl=0

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2289 on: May 07, 2015, 12:47:17 pm »

I'm going to paraphrase from Bill Engvall now;

"You know why those are on there? Because there's been people who've done it!"

Also.... is that a FLAIL  on the last one?
Quote from: /k/
Multiple babies means that the force is distributed per baby, so less force total per baby.
burning dwarves is a sign of productivity

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2290 on: May 07, 2015, 02:38:38 pm »

who the fuck burns a goddamn box to open it
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2291 on: May 07, 2015, 02:39:23 pm »

Seems to be.
I'm more confused by the wall painting thingie, though :P

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2292 on: May 07, 2015, 03:07:52 pm »

Don't be silly, a flail would be way impractical.

It's a depth charge hooked on a fishing rod.
Alternatively: it's a Do Not Whip Viruses sign.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #2293 on: May 07, 2015, 03:53:44 pm »

Apparently, you are not allowed to open the box with a paint roller.
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2294 on: May 07, 2015, 03:56:20 pm »

It's a depth charge hooked on a fishing rod.
That sounds incredibly badass.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.
Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 879