Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: Duolingo  (Read 13973 times)

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
Re: Duolingo
« Reply #105 on: January 26, 2015, 11:50:07 am »

A new week begins, and the weekly high score chart is reset. Who will dominate this time?

Also, my second Swedish friend taught me a tongue twister to impress my handsome Swedish friend. Click this and click the "listen" button to hear it.

This phrase sounds like the word "Dick" in Russian said several times in a row. Sorry, can't help myself, it truly does. Be sure not to use it around Russians.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 11:53:49 am by Comrade P. »
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 26, 2015, 01:04:01 pm »

Hehe, I once knew a Ukrainian girl called Julia - I pronounced her name the Spanish way for fun once. I was swiftly informed that that was rather impolite.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 26, 2015, 01:14:42 pm »

Well. Signed up for this. Seems like a decent way to brush up on my Spanish and German. No idea if I'd trust this on its own. Still, seems pretty decent as a way to get reacquainted with a language at least.

Care to share your username for a bit of friendly competition? : )
Using my google account for that. So it has my full name on it I think. I'd rather not post it to the thread but if you'd like I can send it by PM.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 26, 2015, 01:42:43 pm »

Well. Signed up for this. Seems like a decent way to brush up on my Spanish and German. No idea if I'd trust this on its own. Still, seems pretty decent as a way to get reacquainted with a language at least.

Care to share your username for a bit of friendly competition? : )
Using my google account for that. So it has my full name on it I think. I'd rather not post it to the thread but if you'd like I can send it by PM.

Same here.  I don't know if I understand the social mechanics anyway, but I did quit a few months ago...  Posting here so that my forum-addiction will remind me to do Spanish lessons occasionally.

Oddly I quit at least a month ago, I thought 2-3, but most of the lessons only lost one bar... one lost 2.  They really drop slowly, huh.  Welp, time to see how much I retained...

About as I expected!  Spanish-English is pretty easy, I still can't remember that pajaros = birds (I always use aves), and the game is nice about reminding and reinforcing the vocabulary.  For example, it let me mouse over pajaros to see that it means birds.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 26, 2015, 02:19:47 pm »

Spanish is a bit easier when you also have a background in Arabic. There's quite a bit of shared words there.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #110 on: January 27, 2015, 03:49:06 pm »

What are your favorite sentences so far?

Mine for today is: Katten är i hatten. (The cat is in the hat.)

EDIT: Runner up: Pojken springer från mannen. (The boy is running from the man.)

Swedish is great.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 27, 2015, 04:50:26 pm »

I was amused by J'aime les garcons. Because it's making me say it out loud and sounding like a pedo-lech

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 27, 2015, 09:37:49 pm »

This has none of the languages I'm intersted in right now yet. But just out of curiosity, how useful is it for someone that's only interested in learning languages for reading and marvelling at the social trainwrecks we call grammar?

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #113 on: January 28, 2015, 01:15:45 am »

This has none of the languages I'm intersted in right now yet. But just out of curiosity, how useful is it for someone that's only interested in learning languages for reading and marvelling at the social trainwrecks we call grammar?

Very. It's not great for speaking. All your pronunciation help comes from a robotic voice and some of the languages contain pronunciation errors due to text-to-voice problems. There is some speaking practice in most languages, but you have to rely on the computer to judge your pronunciation. This can be disabled, though, and you can do just reading, writing, and listening. I rely on a Swedish friend of mine to help me with speaking. But it's great for reading and grammar. Each language also has a discussion area in case you have questions.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 28, 2015, 02:55:00 am »

What are your favorite sentences so far?

Mine for today is: Katten är i hatten. (The cat is in the hat.)

EDIT: Runner up: Pojken springer från mannen. (The boy is running from the man.)

Swedish is great.

La araña come pan. (A spider eats bread.)

Spanish is funny.
...I should get back to this. I started my course ~ 2 weeks ago but haven't really touched it after the first one, even though I do have interest in continuing it. Good thing I have a good amount of Spanish-speaking friends, I'd feel so screwed otherwise.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 29, 2015, 10:20:46 am »

A useful spanish phrase:

No, no tengo bebés.

(No I dont have babies.)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #116 on: January 29, 2015, 10:49:02 am »

I love the Swedish team.

"Jag är under dig."

(I am under you.)

That one will come in very handy. Wink wink.

EDIT: And in the very next lesson, "Du vet att jag älskar dig." (You know that I love you.)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 12:56:20 pm by Sappho »

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #117 on: February 01, 2015, 04:29:22 am »

This one cracked me up:

En kock talar svenska.

(A chef speaks Swedish.)

I immediately had to go load up some old videos of the Muppet Show and go all nostalgia-crazy.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 01, 2015, 07:20:11 am »

This one cracked me up:

En kock talar svenska.

(A chef speaks Swedish.)

I immediately had to go load up some old videos of the Muppet Show and go all nostalgia-crazy.
...Thanks for the reminder Sappho. xD
I like how the linguistics somehow sounds authentic...but then the wording gives the clue away. ;P

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 01, 2015, 09:45:10 pm »

Bork bork bork!

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]