Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How should Mego do his updates?

Text and images. Old school is better.
- 23 (82.1%)
Live stream and video. Newfangled technology must be applied to everything!
- 5 (17.9%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Voting closed: January 19, 2012, 06:50:05 pm

Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 208

Author Topic: Hellcannon (Succession: Battlefailed 3) (0.31.25) (DEAD)  (Read 802811 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Hellcannon (Succession: Battlefailed 3) (0.31.25)
« Reply #2355 on: May 07, 2012, 08:59:39 pm »

Because then we'd need to rewind time again, thus destroying wathever obscenity of engineering Catalyst is making, which could then be used down the line to make something much, much worse dorfier.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

CatalystParadox

• Bay Watcher
  • hi ho, hi ho...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2356 on: May 07, 2012, 09:59:51 pm »

(The following was found scrawled in scraps and fragments in various hands, all deposited in a particular corner of the fortress, for reasons unknown.

I should never have joined the crew to construct the topside of the project.  I have been underground too long, and the sun-sickness kept me from evading the rampaging skelk that came for us.  While the others made it safely inside, I weaved, disoriented and blinded, and wandered into the hills - soon surrounded.

Though managing to escape the first encounter with no serious injuries, I stumbled off in the wrong direction yet again, seeing the fort in the distance too late - only when the four beasts stood between it and me. 

Spoiler: One took my arm. (click to show/hide)

The brutalization of my tender mortal flesh was far from over - and after I had finally writhed free of their clutches and staggered around them toward the entrance, they managed to close to me once, twice more to kick my ribs and bowl me over.  Wheezing blood in the snow and crawling, I thought I was finished--

(...but the notes are still being written :))

Update:

The damn skelk followed me down, and I was too weak to get away.  But I had one trick left up my sleeve, one plan, one masterstroke...

Go down fighting like a dwarf.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My remaining arms may have been a useless limp thing on my torso, but I swung it anyway, and by Armok I connected.  I fought that damn skelk as it made its way down the corridor, battering and goring me, even as it bit me in the eyelid and shook me by it... And I led the damn beast right into the traps.

I had but a moment to gasp for my breath - it wasn't coming easily, gurgle might be a better verb - when two more clattered down the ramp.  I turned and staggered away from them, trying to escape - they were finished by the traps as well... but my vision faded, and went black.

Something of a setback.

------

So, I think now might be the most appropriate time for me to bow out (semi)gracefully, and donate the remaining half of my turn to someone else.  This has been rather obviously not the best time for me to have a turn (for a large variety of reasons) leading to my poor follow through on updates.  This would, sadly, mean leaving my half-finished monstrosity of an engineering project for someone else to figure out or not, but in a way isn't that how all such projects should be?

I'd be happy to go on (its certainly not that I don't WANT my turn) if it be the will of the Fortress, but I can't really promise much of an improvement in my pace.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 10:31:25 pm by CatalystParadox »
My proud turn in Failcannon | Uzolnom - "Oiledgod"

Quote from: Mego
I opened up the Unread Replies page and saw that you were the last poster. I got scared. Something about you posting scares me, ever since Failcannon.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2357 on: May 07, 2012, 10:19:26 pm »

That poor bastard doesn't stand a chance...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #2358 on: May 07, 2012, 10:24:51 pm »

That poor bastard doesn't stand a chance...

He meddled with one of my engineering creations and paid the price.  All as I planned...

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2359 on: May 07, 2012, 10:28:49 pm »

Is my Dwarf still alive?

CatalystParadox

• Bay Watcher
  • hi ho, hi ho...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2360 on: May 07, 2012, 10:32:50 pm »

Is my Dwarf still alive?

What's your dwarf's name?

He meddled with one of my engineering creations and paid the price.  All as I planned...

I did?  I mean, I probably did.  Indirectly.  Actually it was all new construction, so its more like I stole all your designs.

I opened up the Unread Replies page and saw that you were the last poster. I got scared. Something about you posting scares me, ever since Failcannon.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2361 on: May 07, 2012, 11:21:26 pm »

I, for one, would like to see Catalyst finish his turn.

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2362 on: May 08, 2012, 11:15:03 am »

Is my Dwarf still alive?

What's your dwarf's name?

Either Tasrak, or failing that, my username. And if it is my username rename him.

CatalystParadox

• Bay Watcher
  • hi ho, hi ho...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2363 on: May 08, 2012, 11:07:51 pm »

Either Tasrak, or failing that, my username. And if it is my username rename him.

Ah yes, I see him.  Tasrak II, Priest of Armok - he's alive and well, and appears to be currently helping with the aquifer breach that is FINALLY proceeding. 

Me, I'm hoping to hear at least a couple more opinions before I decide whether to post the save or kick myself in the ass and get on with writing.  Meanwhile I'll try to squeeze in some time at least laying down as much of the parts of Project IfYouHaventFiguredItOutByNow... that absolutely need to be designed before I pass it on to avoid confusion/disaster as I can.

So yeah, if you're frustrated with my slow ass pace, speak now.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2364 on: May 08, 2012, 11:38:14 pm »

Well you might as well share the project with us now.  We know you're digging down through an aquifer, but I have no idea what else you intend.

CatalystParadox

• Bay Watcher
  • hi ho, hi ho...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2365 on: May 08, 2012, 11:40:40 pm »

Why Aussie, dear Aussie.

The aquifer's just in the way, it has no bearing on the real project.

I'm building the Hellcannon, of course.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2366 on: May 09, 2012, 12:00:09 am »

Why Aussie, dear Aussie.

The aquifer's just in the way, it has no bearing on the real project.

I'm building the Hellcannon, of course.

Oh, of course.  But do you know how to rig it so you can safely weaponize the Clown Car into a one-time surface-clearing wave of death?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2367 on: May 09, 2012, 06:41:39 am »

Why do you even have to another aquifer bypass? There are plenty around, and a few dry spots as well.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #2368 on: May 09, 2012, 06:42:46 am »

Every player needs to take every possible step to kill every single one of our dorfs.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2369 on: May 09, 2012, 03:31:13 pm »

What the hell else is there to do in the frozen tundra? :P
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 208