Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Living like humans...  (Read 416 times)

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
Living like humans...
« on: June 05, 2010, 07:42:44 pm »

I've been trying to build surface settlements for dwarves, and I was wondering if anybody had any tips.

I've manage to build a couple partially successful ones (but I still got bored and abandoned), and I usually just resort to making one really tall, fairly small tower out of wood (clearcutting does wonders! Not only Does it kill trees, it also kills all other forms of plant life! [sarcasm]), but I don't usually end up doing much else.

Advice?

clc02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Living like humans...
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 07:46:57 pm »

Try finding some sand and magma, also make sure you have dfhack handy, blood spreads EVERYWHERE on above ground forts, dfhack has a tool to clean up all the blood so you dwarves don't have to spam clean self.

Also might just be me, but I like to plug up murky pools so they don't get in the way.
Only in dwarven culture is alcohol poisoning a death worthed investigating, while being impaled through several toes, a eye, and a thumb from a spiraling water[3] is not.  Because everyone knows, the only way a dwarf could get alcohol poisoning is if someone put poison into the alcohol.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
Re: Living like humans...
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 07:52:17 pm »

I can't use dfhack right now... I'm using 0.31.04 (Haven't had time to get 0.31.05 yet...), and I almost always embark on an area with sand (unless I want dirt roads.)