Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hammerer: Maximum of 2-3 strikes  (Read 819 times)

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
Hammerer: Maximum of 2-3 strikes
« on: June 30, 2008, 08:34:57 am »

My experience with the hammering branch of the dwarven justice system has been thus.

1 Hammerstroke: This dwarf will be wounded but it's nothing they can't recover from in a couple of seasons. They've likely seen the error of their ways and next time they'll make those -tin underpants- as soon as they get some tin and learn metalworking.

2 Hammerstrokes: A dwarf who gets the hammer twice is going to be seriously hurt. They'll likely be bedridden for a long time. Some may not recover.

3+ Hammerstrokes: This is a death sentence, period. I've never seen a dwarf survive three hammerstrokes. I can only assume that this means a sentence of 4 is the same. They're not going to survive 5, or 6 or 7 and so on.
The planter with a 10 hammerstroke sentence is as good as dead as soon as the fort gets a new hammerer (Last one had an unfortunate accident).

So what I propose is this: A maximum of 2 hammerstrokes for most crimes. Dwarves can survive these to learn their lesson*. Anything above two may as well be called a "death sentence" and is carried out by the hammerer for crimes such as murder.

One last note, I'm not complaining about the severity of dwarven justice, just the sentencing. A hammering is basically either one of two sentences; a beating or death.
--There: Indicates location or state of being.
"The ale barrel is over there. There is a dwarf in it."
--Their: Indicates possession.
"Their beer has a dwarf in it. It must taste terrible.
--They're: A contraction of the words "they are".
"They're going to pull the dwarf out of the barrel."

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hammerer: Maximum of 2-3 strikes
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 10:47:56 am »

I once had a dwarf rack up 52 hammerstrikes, and about a year in prison. She went mad before she got released though, so I didn't get to see it carried out. I'd like to think that the hammerer would just continue until he'd delivered the full 52.
"Urist McTantrummer cancels drink: ground into a fine paste"

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 11:00:37 am »

I wonder, would the hammerer continue beating the dead corpse if he hadn't finished?

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 11:50:27 am »

As I understand it, the hammerer basically just makes a set number of melee attacks on the dwarf. Once the dwarf dies, it's no longer eligible to be attacked (about all you can do is pick it up and throw it at things, and I don't think that damages it), so presumably dead dwarves don't get beaten.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 04:59:17 pm »

Just look at the hammerer's inventory and mark his warhammer for dumping or make it forbidden. He'll instantly drop it. I'm not sure if he'll continue to dole out sentences by smashing with his shield or punching, though.
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 05:10:29 pm »

Incidentally, I did that with my hammerer and it seemed to reduce the intensity of his attacks...but then I found my Captain of the Guard, armed with an axe, was also delivering punishments and hacking random dwarves to pieces over mandates. Is the Captain supposed to do that?
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus