Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12

Author Topic: Arcane Exile [Early Spring, Week 2: Burst]  (Read 21148 times)

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arcane Exile [Recruiting!]
« Reply #60 on: June 07, 2016, 02:39:17 pm »

I decided I really don't much want to play a cultist of wireheading mindrape. I'll replace that submission with an army-killer spec. (Editing it into my submission post.)

A bit late for this now ... I think it's cool that we can start with a high level magic skill, but it's sad to only have three useful skill slots with such a synergy-based magic system. It would be nice to have a second template choice next time you have this much obvious synergy, more of a jack-of-all-trades deal.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 08, 2016, 12:09:04 am »

"Don't worry, I'll improve you in your sleep so you don't feel any pain!"

It'll be fine...

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 08, 2016, 01:07:31 pm »

IN!

Reading the OP and making character sheet...
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 08, 2016, 01:12:13 pm »

Spoiler: character (click to show/hide)

Sorry if that's a lot to read, I like making really detailed characters :P
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 08, 2016, 01:56:13 pm »

Name: Preferably the name of the Omnibold that I submitted last time (this is meant to be sort of a reimagining of him), but if you can't find it, I'll go with Lorkotol.
Primary Skill: Blue Magic (the utilization and manipulation of magic from outside sources; stuff like altering spells while they're being cast, absorbing the magic of an ongoing magical effect, performing priestly magic (to a much lesser degree than an actual priest, of course), etc.)
Secondary Skills: Runecrafting, Gating
Tertiary Skills: Communion, Protection, Diplomacy
Physical Description: A blue, middle-aged Kobold. Wears a witch hat.
Mental Description: Lorkotol is very curious, even for a Kobold, and loves to try new things. Although he doesn't disapprove of most of the darker uses of magic, he vehemently opposes doing things "for the evulz" and/or "for the chaosez".
Bio: Kicked out for use of "witchcraft" after church inquisitors broke into his house and broke the circles that contained some of the demons in his basement. The demons promptly killed the inquisitors, broke the circles of all of the other evil and/or chaotic creatures in Lorkotol's house, grabbed every offensive weapon that was stored there, and slaughtered half of the town. The other half was devastated by the angels that Lorkotol gated in in an attempt to fight the demons (the town was corrupted and needed to be cleansed of all life, according to them).
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 12:37:04 pm by ATHATH »
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 08, 2016, 02:03:35 pm »

Where is the line drawn between infusion, enchantment, and runecrafting magic?

For instance, let's say that I use my blue magic to siphon some destruction magic from a demon and put it in a stick. Which of the above magic types would let me create a wand of magic missile? What about a rod that boosts destruction magic? A laser pistol?

Also, does gating magic let you create wards that keep what you gate in from killing you (Magic Circle Against Evil and the like), or do you have to use protection magic for that?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 02:29:26 pm by ATHATH »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 08, 2016, 03:07:35 pm »

Also, does gating magic let you create wards that keep what you gate in from killing you (Magic Circle Against Evil and the like), or do you have to use protection magic for that?
IronyOwl game, plus a magic system that emphasizes synergy effects. I do not expect Gating to include more than rudimentary safety features.

Personally, I think mind control magic would be the most fun for keeping gated entities from killing you, although cowards might prefer a runecarving + destruction kill-switch.

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 08, 2016, 03:16:31 pm »

If I'm picked I could always just sort of encase you in stone or something. Elemental Mage, woo!

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 08, 2016, 07:24:28 pm »

Where is the line drawn between infusion, enchantment, and runecrafting magic?
Short version: Infusion stores raw power as a raw material. Enchanting stores simply arranged power as a static object. Runecrafting stores complicated power as a simple device.

Somewhat more involved: Infusion requires a more compatible base item, something that has some mystical potential for the final product. Enchanting or Runecrafting both benefit from suitable materials, but you can technically try to enchant a river-worn rock with fire; Infusion has nothing to work with there. Infusion's end result is generally a magical receptacle used to power other things rather than a finished product in its own right.

Enchanting shrouds a thing in simple persistent magical energy. It's typically fairly homogeneous, but can have specific effects and tends to make for poor power storage. This makes it good for enchanting rocks to be on fire, but doesn't usually provide enough raw power to effectively fuel other things, and can't do complex effects, like a rock that only lights on fire when you tell it to.

Runecrafting imbues complex persistent magical energy into an item. It can't make a rock on fire at all times, but it can make a rock burn when in sunlight; frequently its conditions and the nature or power of its effect are tied together, which gives it some more leeway (and pitfalls) than Enchanting. As with Enchanting, it doesn't really provide the raw power to be used by other forces, and has the added issue of its base enchantment being fairly complex, which further hinders efforts to break it down for a particular type of energy.

For instance, let's say that I use my blue magic to siphon some destruction magic from a demon and put it in a stick. Which of the above magic types would let me create a wand of magic missile? What about a rod that boosts destruction magic? A laser pistol?
In this case, none of the above, because if your Blue Magic can siphon enough power from a demon to enchant an item with it's clearly way too broad and/or efficient to work; if you're grabbing enough destructive energy from a demon's spell to create an item that's suspiciously efficient, and if you're grabbing it straight from the demon that's a stupidly broad reading of "outside magics."

However, if for some reason you got a hold of some destructive energy and wanted to focus it into an item:

-A wand of magic missile would probably require a combination of Infusion to produce a power source, and Runecrafting or Artifice to channel that source into bolts. A simple gate-valve style mechanism to just let the power out might make do with Runecrafting, but you'd probably need skill in Enchanting as well if you wanted it to "process" the energy in any way, including shaping it into proper bolts, since that'd require a more nuanced transfer of energy.
-A rod that boosts Destruction skill or effects would probably be Runecrafting, to get it to activate and enhance or otherwise process the energies when they're detected. For a pure refinement tool you might need Enchanting to know how to make the magic flow properly through the device, and for a brute-force booster addon you'd presumably need Infusion to make it batteries and possibly Enchanting to properly channel both sources of power. Additional skill in other fields might be advisable depending on its exact mechanism.
-A laser pistol as in a fancy gun would probably want Runecrafting to focus energy into bolts and Infusion to produce a power source, though as with the wand you have some leeway in how exactly you want to release the energy. A laser pistol as in a continuous stream of power would most definitely want Runecrafting and Enchanting to properly focus the beam from an Infusion-built battery.

As a note, Infusion isn't strictly necessary for any of this, because there are other ways to produce or acquire power sources. It's usually by far the most convenient, though.

Nirur's got the right of it. Gating handles getting it there and some of its limitations encourage situations where your product won't immediately kill you, but otherwise you're on your own for that part.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 08, 2016, 07:59:13 pm »

Interesting.

Well, the plan for my more recently made character is to use Runecarving+Infusion spellstone consumables to give himself more devastating spells. It's sorta tempting now to drop Air for Enchantment, so he doesn't need to channel them through himself as much, but. Let's face it. That'd be weaker. There is no "safety" to be found in weakening your army-killer spells :v

(You're welcome, guys! I'm sure this is a good idea!)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 09, 2016, 04:11:03 am »

I'll probably start rolling for sheets and getting everything set up within the next 24 hours or so.
I lied.

Still, soon-ish.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 09, 2016, 04:16:51 am »

How could you irony, you betrayed us all! Jokes aside but yeah, hype is a thing.
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 09, 2016, 10:04:21 am »

The suspense intensifies!

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 09, 2016, 01:17:54 pm »

Sheet edited.

How do we use our infused objects? Is there a hidden ritual affinity that you never told us about?

By the way, just to be clear, this is my game plan:
1. Create a warded gating circle.
2. Gate in creature X.
3. Persuade (possibly by doing quests) creature X to help me siphon magic from it so that I can put it into a magical item (from your initial reaction to the magic missile question that I posed earlier, I suspect that I'll need help on the other end if I want to siphon off enough power to create a decent magical item).

Shadestyle

• Bay Watcher
  • Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 09, 2016, 02:48:54 pm »

Name: Nero Deserter
Primary Skill: Hair Elemental School
Secondary Skills: Summoning & Conjuration
Tertiary Skills: Alchemy, Communion, & Ice
Physical Description: A perky young man covered in tattoos and possessing floor length hair in an elaborate braid turning it into an almost turtle shell like shape.  He wears a thick purple trench coat and wields a wicked staff that looks somewhat like a comb, if combs were made from obsidian harpoons.
Mental Description: Mysterious and quirky, Nero has a strong confidence and infectious mood.
Bio: Banished for making pacts with beings who were sealed for a reason, he has been stripped of his former pacts and cast into exile.

Fixed my sheet.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 12:42:24 pm by Shadestyle »
You are now having excessive amounts of fun
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12