Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1901 1902 [1903] 1904 1905 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5882175 times)

Dunkelzahn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #28530 on: March 31, 2013, 09:07:07 pm »

there are now currently 47 children, thanks to all of them i now have a mayor, i hope they grow into something USEFUL or else i will be testing bridge catapults with them

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28531 on: March 31, 2013, 09:10:21 pm »

haulers, after 12 years of parasitically leeching off your food supplies, as well as being undetonated tantrum bombs. And did i mention children tend to make friends? im serious they're worse than cats

Dunkelzahn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28532 on: March 31, 2013, 09:22:26 pm »

oh and i had to oust my expedition leader because the mayor randomly appeared, she did so good and now shes stuck in the dorms with the rest of the rabble

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #28533 on: March 31, 2013, 09:25:36 pm »

This is what you do: Set up multiple farming pods. Make it so a minecart system is the only way in, or out of each pod. In each pod, put one adult farmer and 2-3 kids. Have them use minecarts to ship out most of the food they make and the kids when they grow up, and use minecarts to ship in booze/new labor. 20 farming pods should be sufficient for now, but make sure there's room to expand and add more.  :P
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28534 on: March 31, 2013, 09:40:06 pm »

that wouldnt be a very efficient way to farm, since dedicated farmers produce larger stacks that would make other jobs using plants more efficient. Also, depending on how many adults in total he has, 1 adult for every 2-3 children puts a damper on the number of adults available to do other jobs.

Dunkelzahn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28535 on: March 31, 2013, 09:49:02 pm »

dammit i cant find my miners or metal smiths, i tried to make more picks but its taking forever becuse i had to resort to haveing one of the farmers do it

oh and most of the children are related as cousins

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28536 on: March 31, 2013, 09:52:38 pm »

yea...thats not very good, if their already related then theres already potential for massive tantrums if one of them dies. And this problem doesnt go away even if they grow up.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #28537 on: March 31, 2013, 10:16:39 pm »

*cough*atom smasher*cough*
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

mobucks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28538 on: March 31, 2013, 10:22:09 pm »

So I had ~26,000 bone bolts in my fort, all in a quantum stockpile, unbinned. I decided to move them to trade depot to get rid of all the excess. Right after the autosave, I get massive spam of Urist DuBoltMover cancels drink, in jail. Every single dwarf that wasnt military or child had at least 300 days of jail time, the highest I cared to look at was 623 days. All this after finally channelling away half a volcano down to the level of my brook/fort entrance, which took a LONG time and resulted in at least 10 miner deaths. I love this game.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #28539 on: March 31, 2013, 10:58:48 pm »

Wut.
Every dwarf got jail time? Why's that? Export of bolts banned? Bone products?  :o
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28540 on: March 31, 2013, 11:14:31 pm »

oh wow, i'd immediately fire my captain of the guard and have my military watch my mayor really closely. Hopefully he berserks so a new mayor is hired. Also consider dismantling all jails and finding a "unquestionable weak" or weaker dwarf to be your captain of the guard so everyone can get a beating.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28541 on: March 31, 2013, 11:37:06 pm »

Having fun with goblin sieges at Lashedbridge.

An autumn attack was mainly goblin cavalry (archers) getting chopped up in an outer area by traps and a nicely placed archery bunker made out of glass blocks.  One of the reserve marksdwarf units got a lot of experience and was promoted to full time militia.  The highlight of this attack however was a goblin cavalry squad attempting to cross the fortress' namesake iron bridge of the river.  Their charge turned into a fall as a lever was pulled and the goblin squad leader and half a dozen followers (and their mounts) took a bath in the river.  A *MAGMA* bath in the river that is -- since the fortress engineers built a magma pit in mid-stream under the span.   :D

A winter attack by five squads of goblin melee cavalry was met in kind by the fortress melee squads.  Once trapped in the Outer Bailey their suffering from traps and marksdwarf fire was relieved by the arrival of thirty trained and armored melee dwarves led by the fortress champion swordmaster.  She single-handedly dispatched two goblin squad leaders while racking up six more kills.  A few melee squads also sortied over the bridge to crush a goblin squadron loitering on the far side of the river.  It ran before taking excessive casualties.

Militia squad commanders are being rewarded with cloaks.  These can't be made locally, so they are traded for from the elves, cleaned of elven taint, properly decorated and then given out to commanders once they achieve their fifth kill.

There is also an on-going war with the humans.  Something about one of their diplomats being disrespected.  Their initial attack was disrespected by a storm of crossbow bolts forcing them to decamp and leave the area.  Presumably their next appearance will be in larger numbers.   
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

wanzerm23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • 6 plus - I play too many video games
« Reply #28542 on: April 01, 2013, 12:19:15 am »

Just had a migrant show up with 370 goblin kills.  She is a weaver.  Yeah, I totally believe that.

Edit:  Also, I guess there is some kind of Vile Creature that already lives here.  She just slaughtered a wave of sixteen immigrants. 
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 02:16:47 am by wanzerm23 »

Jenniretta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28543 on: April 01, 2013, 02:26:50 am »

So, the necromancer ambush left jsut in time for the Dwarven caravan to come in, however before they finished unloading their goods, the necro returned with two more necromancers (apparently there are three of them, not two, one must have slept through the last siege) and about 80 of their loyal abominations. The siege hasn't let up, I did manage to capture a fair number of the zombies (about 15) and one of the necromancers, so if they ever go home (it's been about a season so far) I'll have one less to worry about next time at least.
Unfortunately, this is the 3rd caravan that's been slaughtered in my depot - one of each friendly race! the first time the elves came by, a goblin ambush killed them all, and I shruged and took their stuff. then the humans stopepd in, and the necro ambush finished them off, then the dwarves come in and we get a siege! at this rate I'll be fighting elf and human sieges on top of my undead problem and the usual goblin visits. At least the dwarves won't siege, but they'll probably stop sending the caravan all together if they keep getting killed by zombies and skeleton bits. I don't mind the elves going to war with us, never liked them anyway (although I did TRY to be civil, not my fault they tripped over the goblins on their way in, and never made it out).

Something really annoying about hte undead, though, is that by waiting them out, their numbers swell! when they showed up I counted 80 undead of elf, human, goblin, and dwarf varieties. Now, they have added 10 Ravens, 6 foxes, and a pair of water buffalo to their ranks! combined with a few lost limbs in the fighting while they "recruited" these new minions, they have reached 100 strong in the season they've been clawing at my doors!

Oh well.. if I ever get a break, I have two full caravans worth of goods that the owners will not be reclaiming in the trade depot... I jsut don't know if I'll ever have enough free time to move it all inside.

Edit: Ha! The zombies are still here, and now the goblins decided to invade. Most of them will prob. end up under the necro's command, but if I'm lucky they'll manage to kill my remaining necromancers for me, and I'll jsut have to clean up the mess.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 02:52:30 am by Jenniretta »

squirmy152

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28544 on: April 01, 2013, 02:45:10 am »

Poetjudged just fought off a sizeable siege. I closed the bridges, sounded the alarm, and sent the marksdwarves to the roof. They killed a good 12 goblins between the 8 of them. The goblins that made it past them found themselves facing 2 speardwarves and 2 axedwarves who fought like true Tolkien dwarves. My militia commander had already earned herself a title, but the contributions of the other three have earned them each a title. Huzzah! Poetjudged lives on. And is now a barony!
Pages: 1 ... 1901 1902 [1903] 1904 1905 ... 3836