Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Upgraded nobles that actually do some work (long)  (Read 882 times)

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
Upgraded nobles that actually do some work (long)
« on: May 26, 2007, 05:48:00 pm »

i had fun writing this  :)
Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
Re: Upgraded nobles that actually do some work (long)
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2007, 08:19:00 pm »

Just for some clarification, the names "House Ber" and "House Fer" are taken straight from the dwarven language in the game's raws, so any other guild names you make up should be made out of the same dwarven language parts and not taken from scratch.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007, 08:23:00 pm »

I did think of that. But i thought it would be nicer to give each of them an actual name instead of "House Beast" or "House Earth" as Fer and Ber translate into.

Besides, how could you not like the name "House Kaboom"    :D

[ May 26, 2007: Message edited by: Tamren ]

Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

slMagnvox

• Bay Watcher
  • Attend Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2007, 09:23:00 pm »

Along the lines of this suggestion, the Order of the <weapon> Nobles could require a barracks instead of an office.  Soldiers set to wield a Spear will from then on train at the High Spear's gym.

And if we get more customizable barracks (min/max skill levels, allow/disallow squads), this would tie into gameplay quite nicely.

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2007, 12:23:00 am »

Aye, we also need to figure out WHY the Orders Militant are so interested in training dwarves, you have not hired them or anything although they would recieve a salary just like all the other nobles.

I guess a good explanation would be that each weapon order considers perfection in skill with a weapon or other combat discipline to be the ultimate accomplishment. They would hold to that with almost religious fervor.

So its not really about being a drill sargeant. More like passing on the knowledge and combat skills of previous generations onto the new generation of fighters and making sure that such knowledge is never forgotten.

Yeah that sounds about right.

Angela Christine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2007, 12:29:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Tamren:
<STRONG>Aye, we also need to figure out WHY the Orders Militant are so interested in training dwarves, you have not hired them or anything although they would recieve a salary just like all the other nobles.

I guess a good explanation would be that each weapon order considers perfection in skill with a weapon or other combat discipline to be the ultimate accomplishment. They would hold to that with almost religious fervor.

So its not really about being a drill sargeant. More like passing on the knowledge and combat skills of previous generations onto the new generation of fighters and making sure that such knowledge is never forgotten.

Yeah that sounds about right.</STRONG>

Or, they might just want the status and prestige that comes with the job.  Getting the job as a representative of the Order is a cushy post.  After years of serving in the Fortress Guard of some older settlement your chances for local advancement are limited.  There are a dozen other legendary Speardwarfs that you've been working with for years, if you stay in that mine you won't get to be "top speardwarf" until you are old and grey.  But if you go out to one of the fairly new colonies, you have enough experience that you can be the master speardwarf right now, today.  That sounds a lot better than another day of patrolling the riverbank, looking for frogmen and cave crocodiles.

slMagnvox

• Bay Watcher
  • Attend Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2007, 01:23:00 am »

Promote incompetence?  Isn't that always the way ... ?

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2007, 03:19:00 pm »

The problem is being a representative of a militant order is not a desk job. You will be expected to fight just as well as your comrades or better.

After a certain point you are not going to get any better period. To go beyond that you need to start teaching other people. This will give you a type of experience you would never have access to on your own.

If you were teaching something to a student, that student might find a way to do it better. You would never have considered on your own because you *already* knew how to do it and gave it no further thought.