Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sites - different kinds  (Read 1573 times)

Ekaton

• Bay Watcher
  • Love the Bomb
    • View Profile
Sites - different kinds
« on: June 21, 2016, 11:26:55 am »

Anticipating the introduction of different sites and embark scenarios I would like to present my ideas for some of them.

Dwarves

Special features:
- Dwarven sites always produce alcohol.

Huge Fortress

First site of the dwarven civ should always be a HF
Ruled by the monarch or a duke
The largest fortresses built by the dwarves.
Has a library, multiple temples, multiple taverns, deep mines
Has many large houses of the rich merchants and nobility, close to where the monarch or duke lives
Has a large courthouse with multiple judges
Has a treasury - large storage of coins and precious bars with guards 24/7 and traps
Has a professional military force and large militia
Houses the main guilds
It is hard to become a citizen there as it is already quite crowded and the locals don't need more citizens, unless there was a disaster or a war which would lower the population
Contain a large dungeon

Large Fortress

Smaller in size than Huge Fortress
Ruled by a count or the monarch if it is the largest fortress owned by the civ
Has a library, one or two temples, one or two taverns, deep mines
Has a smaller treasury or a normal one if capital
Has a smaller military but large militia
Has a courthouse with the number of judges depending on the population
Contain a small dungeon

Fortress

Ruled by a baron
Has a library, a temple and a tavern
Has a small treasury
Has a small military and militia
If large enough could have a courthouse with a single judge, otherwise the baron is the judge
Contain a small dungeon

Penal colony

A prison where imprisoned creatures are forced to mine and smelt ore
Controlled by a warden, appointed by the king or his secretaries
The number of guards depends on the number of imprisoned creatures
The player can either become imprisoned here, build the colony in the fortress mode or become a guard in the adv mode.
The prisoners will try to escape, riot if left unchecked or there are not enough guards, bandit groups might try to take them over and over enlist their inhabitants.
Colonies are not allowed to trade and have to deliver a fixed amount of bars every three months. The nearest fortress might however supply the colony with food and necessary equipment.

Mine

Much smaller than a fortress
Privately owned
Its economy is based on mining and smelting ore, they rarely produce anything other than bars
Ruled by a manager
Has no military but some militia. Mines which are close to the borders might have a small garrison.
In fort mode player can build a mine as a property of an existing mining company or a rich individual. He has to supply it/him with certain number of bars every fixed period of time.

Fort

Forts are essentially small castles.
Those are not carved in the mountain but built above ground.
Ruled by a Captain.
Host a number of soldiers depending on the threat - forts on the border with the enemy will contain a larger garrison than forts that are policing the roads.
Contain a small dungeon.

Guard post

Small towers with little military presence,
Ruled by a sergeant.
They are usually placed near the roads to protect the trade.
Contain a small dungeon.

Toll post

Ruled by a clerk
They exist near the roads on the borders, near bridges and on the roads, depending on the laws of a civ.
Contain a small military presence and a small dungeon for those who wanted to evade taxation or were wanted for crimes.

Tavern

Owned by tavern owners
Essentially a small tavern by the road, with some fields, livestock, and booze-making facility

Village

Ruled by a village elder.
Contains of at least a dozen farms, each owned by a family and inherited by the oldest child. Farms are made of a family house, a barn, a granary, fields and livestock.
Depending on its wealth it could have a small shrine, a tavern, a small temple, and/or a small market.
Villages customarily send a tribute of food to their liege - baron, count, duke or king.

Town

Ruled by a mayor
Larger than villages, contain some houses in the centre, a tavern, a temple, a granary, and occasionally a courthouse for the town and nearby villages.
Has a sheriff who patrols the closest villages.
Has some militia forces
Can be surrounded by a palisade or a wall.

Academy

Exists in a fortress.
Contains different faculties of different schools/sciences.
Can teach engineers, doctors, lawyers, mathematicians, logicians, astronomers, philosophy, optics, and other tech.
Its size and influence depends on how much a civ values knowledge.
Might teach wizardry if magic is enabled.

Manor

A rich manor with several sub-types depending on its size.
Basically a large home occupied by the owner and his family, and also containing housing for servants/slaves/indentured servants (depending on civ's political system and values).
Surrounded by owner's fields cultivated by the peasants/slaves/servants living in the manor's housing for them.
Can be surrounded by villages that belong to its owner (if a civ is feudal), if not, fields belonging to the manor could be quite large.
Dwarves should be able to have them, but these should be more common in human civs.
Depending on owner's values could have variety of rooms - library, shrine, ball rooms, armories etc.
Can contain workshops where servants/slaves can produce goods for both manor's needs and to be sold if civ values commerce.

Humans

Special features:
The humans have cities and castles as their largest holdings. Cities are either Royal Cities - ruled by the monarch or a duke or Free Cities ruled by mayors and city councils.
Most humans live in villages that belong to the nobles.

Royal City

Serves the same purpose as the Huge Fortress but is built above ground.
Nearby villages belong to the owner of the castle - either as his property or as his fief with a knight being its owner.
Ruled by the monarch or a duke.
Has a keep or a palace in the centre, and different districts around it - the richest and most powerful live close to the keep/palace, along with guildhouses, greatest temples, courthouse, the n lives the middle-class and on the outskirts are the lower-class districts, manufacturing-district etc.
Has a large market, library, temples, taverns, multiple shops and a luxurious hotel in the middle of the city where the rich can stay and eat.
Has large baths for the rich.
They are usually placed near the rivers or by the sea.
They are surrounded by large, stone walls.
Rich homes are made of stone, while most are made of wood.

Free City

Essentially very similar to Royal Cities but ruled by a mayor elected by the town council consisting of the richest and most powerful citizens. To become a councilman, a person has to either inherit the post or be accepted by the council.
They enjoy a high degree of autonomy, and the rich merchants like to settle here while the nobles prefer the Royal Cities.
Always has a large courthouse and a dungeon. The Free Cities never send their prisoners to penal colonies.
They have larger thieves' guilds than usual being richer than other sites.
They contain banks, trading companies, huge markets and harbours, and are generally the largest centres of trade in the world.
They are usually placed near the sea or the rivers, close to the trade routes.

Large castle

A large, stone keep, with a small town surrounding it, protected by a stone wall.
It is ruled by a duke.
The nearby villages belong to its owner.
The closest counties are the fiefs of the local duke.
Contain a strong military force under the duke's command.
Contain a large temple and usually a library.
Contain large stables.

Medium castle

Smaller than Large Castle, ruled by a count. Otherwise the same but smaller.
Contains a library if its owner values knowledge.

Small castle

Smaller than Medium Castle, rules by a baron. Otherwise the same but smaller.
Contains a library if its owner values knowledge.
Contains a temple if its owner values religion, otherwise a shrine.
It is surrounded by a village. Only the keep is made of stone, wall that surrounds the village is made of wood.

Large village

Owned by a noble, who lives in a small keep made of wood or stone depending on his wealth.
The noble has to send an annual tribute of food to his liege.
The peasants can either be free or be serfs, depending on the civ. If they are free, then they have to give their noble an annual tribute. If they are serfs, they give everything they produce to their noble, who leaves them what they need to survive.
Might contain a tavern if by a road.
Contains a shrine.
Depending on its location and wealth might contain bee hives, produce wood, fish, alcohol, and some small goods - can have a single blacksmith, bowyer, clothier, carpenter and/or hunters.

Village

Owned by a noble who does not live in the village.
The peasants can either be free or be serfs, depending on the civ. If they are free, then they have to give their noble an annual tribute. If they are serfs, they give everything they produce to their noble, who leaves them what they need to survive.
Might contain a tavern if by a road.
Contains a shrine.
Depending on its location and wealth might contain bee hives, produce wood, fish, alcohol, and some small goods - can have a single blacksmith, bowyer, clothier, carpenter and/or hunters.

Monastery

Can exist when the civ's religion has them.
Ruled by a prior.
Houses a dozen or more monks.
Can contain a religious library if religion values knowledge.
Contains a temple.
Contains fields and livestock.
If civ values knowledge, it can also serve to preserve knowledge by acquiring and copying books, writing chronicles, and preserving old books.

University

Can exist in a town as a district or as an independent site.
Depending on the fantasy setting it can teach wizardry or common knowledge.
Contains different faculties of different schools/sciences.
Can teach engineers, doctors, lawyers, mathematicians, logicians, astronomers, philosophy, optics, and other tech.
Its size and influence depends on how much a civ values knowledge.

Training grounds

Though not necessarily exclusive for humans (dwarves should train inside their fortresses I think), I imagine these built mainly by those civs which have larger, standing armies.
It is not permanently settled, but rather an assigned spot near castles where soldiers periodically train. It could have contain some ditches built by the soldiers. Should also be heavy littered.
Player could perhaps occasionally find a piece of armour or a weapon left behind.

Humans can also build Mines, Taverns, Guard posts, Manors and Toll posts .

Elves

Forest Palace

Elven king's luxurious palace.
It has strong military presence of the Royal Guard.
Has the shrine of nature.
Has a library.

Forest retreat

A village with an orchard.
Nothing interesting really, just a bunch of tree-huggers providing food for their civ.

Goblins and Kobolds

I don't think they need anything else, unless their civ would understand concept of more sophisticated organization. For now, at least for me, they are tribals really, with no advanced thought, which would make them want to protect trade routes or establish universities to preserve knowledge.

Every goblin site should have slaves though, as their economy supposedly relies on them entirely. Basically, goblins should be lazy and want to exploit others for their benefits, while they can fight, steal, pillage and murder.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 06:02:09 pm by Ekaton »

Wedolko

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Military Tactician
    • View Profile
Re: Sites - different kinds
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 03:57:52 pm »

Goblins should have some kind of slaver outpost or forced labor camp.
-In a time before time DF spammed me with 50 pages of useless text

Ekaton

• Bay Watcher
  • Love the Bomb
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016, 05:09:20 pm »

I think that being a slaver nation they should have slaves in each of their sites.

Wedolko

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Military Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 01:39:20 pm »

I think that being a slaver nation they should have slaves in each of their sites.

I dunno, I think a site ran by a goblin warden, similar to the prison site you mentioned for the dwarves would be cool. Exept instead of prisoners, you have slaves slaving all day to smelt metal and forge the gabbos crappy weapons.
-In a time before time DF spammed me with 50 pages of useless text

Ekaton

• Bay Watcher
  • Love the Bomb
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 08:58:47 pm »

I dunno, I think a site ran by a goblin warden, similar to the prison site you mentioned for the dwarves would be cool. Exept instead of prisoners, you have slaves slaving all day to smelt metal and forge the gabbos crappy weapons.

That might be just the way I see them, but I have always imagined goblins as nearly entirely dependant on their slaves - that said, they can't really produce much without them. Every goblin site needs some sort of labour - either smelting, or crafting, or farming - they always need something, and should be rather unwilling to do it themselves, and that's why I think that every goblin site needs slaves. Some might have more than slaves than others, to the point when it looks just like you described - a lot of slaves but few goblins, like a prison or a forced labour camp. In fact, perhaps most of the sites should have more slaves than goblins.

Myth

• Bay Watcher
  • And ne forhtedon na
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 11:24:05 am »

A epic suggestion.

I think the goblins should have outpost near its borders , with militias inside . They would basically patrols.

Ekaton

• Bay Watcher
  • Love the Bomb
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2016, 01:41:27 am »

A epic suggestion.

I think the goblins should have outpost near its borders , with militias inside . They would basically patrols.

Outposts imply a more sophisticated military system, but perhaps it could do if their civ could learn some more advanced concepts - I really hope that with the new knowledge system we'll get concepts one day - such as the concept of defending borders or patrolling roads as a civ. Humans and dwarves could get it riht away, while other civs would have to learn them.

WakeMeUp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2016, 06:47:40 am »

What about a parliament? I would love to see dwarfs or humans have their own parliaments where you can roleplay a politician.

Ekaton

• Bay Watcher
  • Love the Bomb
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2016, 06:50:51 am »

What about a parliament? I would love to see dwarfs or humans have their own parliaments where you can roleplay a politician.

That's not really a site, it's a building.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2016, 07:48:24 am »

That's not really a site, it's a building.
Until, possibly, the implementation of gunpowder...

WakeMeUp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2016, 01:01:48 pm »

We need new sites a lot. Everything looks the same now.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2016, 02:00:45 pm »

I'd like to see site generation be more flexible, particularly with humans and dwarves.

Instead of having specific site 'types', every site should have a number of properties based on its size, population, and the specific values of the civ and/or site ruler.  This would also allow sites to grow organically after world generation.  Any site could add things like temples, libraries, taverns, castles, tombs, courthouses, prisons, farms, gardens, mines, sewers, tunnels, etc., which would be tacked on to the site as it expanded from its original point of origin.

Humans would prefer to build above ground and dwarves would prefer to dig out areas below ground, but in certain circumstances (aquifers, humans and dwarves living together) you might end up with different structures.

It would also be interesting, as world generation becomes more complex and civs are given the ability to learn from each other, if elves and goblins got in on it as well.  You could have a small village filled with goblins spring up around a demon-ruled spire, or giant trees growing in a human orchard.  The nature of a site would reflect the qualities of the races who live there.

Ekaton

• Bay Watcher
  • Love the Bomb
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2016, 02:29:34 pm »

I'd like to see site generation be more flexible, particularly with humans and dwarves.

Instead of having specific site 'types', every site should have a number of properties based on its size, population, and the specific values of the civ and/or site ruler.  This would also allow sites to grow organically after world generation.  Any site could add things like temples, libraries, taverns, castles, tombs, courthouses, prisons, farms, gardens, mines, sewers, tunnels, etc., which would be tacked on to the site as it expanded from its original point of origin.

Humans would prefer to build above ground and dwarves would prefer to dig out areas below ground, but in certain circumstances (aquifers, humans and dwarves living together) you might end up with different structures.

It would also be interesting, as world generation becomes more complex and civs are given the ability to learn from each other, if elves and goblins got in on it as well.  You could have a small village filled with goblins spring up around a demon-ruled spire, or giant trees growing in a human orchard.  The nature of a site would reflect the qualities of the races who live there.

Sites need to have certain types to add variation - what you describe, a generic site, is pretty much what I had in mind when proposing a fortress for dwarves - it does serve as a generic site, with some elements that should be there because of its purpose, but with all other elements depending on civ's values and political system. Republican civ could have a parliament, theocratic one a Grand Temple, civ that values knowledgs could have library etc. Other sites are more specific - you can't really add gardens or temples to a simple tower or a toll post, but those should be in the game too, to provide more variety and to secure the trade routes, if civ wishes to do it.

Also, it is sort of a given that sites should reflect civ's qualities, lifestyles, tastes and needs, the point is for sites to have immersive variety, so that they can serve different purposes, as they are established for different reasons.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 01:35:59 am by Ekaton »