Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 210

Author Topic: Fallout: Equestria (v0.30c) Pinkie Pie is Watching  (Read 481400 times)

Roan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout: Equestria (v0.30c) Pinkie Pie is Watching
« Reply #2505 on: May 02, 2013, 10:59:53 pm »

>Roan

That technically isn't a bug. The game checks age only periodically, its not unusual for opponents to drop dead in the middle of combat.
Periodically...
Are those sorts of checks made all at the same time, or is there sort of a... cascade?
I checked out a backup and noticed that I always had lag at that point in time, regardless of location.

Wilde Card

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2506 on: May 03, 2013, 02:47:17 am »

I've hit a bug, I'm not sure what triggered it or how to remedy it, but my mechanic went to upgrade a security turret into a minigun turret, but cancelled it because apparently we don't have a medium calibre ammo box, but the weird bit is, is that a few seconds later a turret upgrades anyway without any resources being used up.
Has this happened before? Just thought I'd bring it up

Oh yeah, and the reaction for inflating balloons doesn't have the 'L' from 'inflate'
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 02:56:33 am by Wilde Card »

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2507 on: May 03, 2013, 07:33:41 am »

> > Concrete
> I'd considered 1.5 out per boulder instead of 1.25, but part of my rebelled against breaking away from the nice multiples of 5.
My proposal was 30 concrete per 4 rock and 1 flux, but it would mean 7.5 furniture per reaction. In any case, even the four blocks per rock that we have now isn't bad, considering it is a batch job, but the concrete output should be bumped. If for no other reason than to compensate that we are using Flux for it.

> > > Expedition output based on skill level
> > You'd need a custom script
> Mind pointing me to any documentation there is?
I don't really know of any. Ask Putman.
If itemsyndrome is possible, this script would be too. What you'd have to do is periodically check the skill levels of all ponies / dwarves and give them syndromes based on those levels. For simplicity it's best to use only the best syndrome, combine skills (one syndrome progression for all weapon skills) and stick to four levels: none (no syndrome), Proficient, Accomplished, Legendary.
Once those syndromes are present on ponies / dwarves, expedition (and other) interactions can check for them, but that's more work on Lycaenon's part. Considering how big the expedition files are already, I'm not surprised by his lack of enthusiasm. As for surviving ponies, his current todo list has checking for power armour, battle saddle or maybe just SHEILD_ADEPT / SHIELD_APPRENTICE and decreasing lethality for them.
If you manage to complete this script, it and it's variants will be useful for other things, for example Meph would probably be happy to make his guilds only accept dwarves of certain skill level.

> Expedition map reuse rate.
Too low in my opinion, but it is an uninformed opinion of someone who never got the resources to get the interrogations and expeditions to work.

> > Clear Diamond hologems
> Ministry of Awesome high energy workbench with a reaction [...] to make a synthetic diamond? Already done IRL using methane gas as a carbon feedstock and microwave emitters to turn the feedstock into carbon plasma.
IRL only a thin layer of diamond can be made and diamond gems are not on the table. Like Lycaeon said, I don't think the ponies would be this good at making artificial gems.
> Seeded rock farming? Seed gem + boulders = 1  seed gem + possible more of the same type.
Now you might be onto something. Although the rock grinding kinda simulates rock farming already, a separate chain of labour-intensive reactions (like the MLP mod research) to get diamonds would be preferable to just finding them in random rocks.
> We're already putting noted on data hologems, why not just take the 4 design note hologems, add one more blank one and some wiring, and call it good?
Not really. Let's just say that to hold a pattern for making magical microprocessors, you need a really good quality gem. T4 gems are pretty much the only thing that will do in-fluff.

> flux carnisters
I'm pretty sure you can make flux blocks and use them in reactions. Introducing flux carnisters would introduce the same problems as plywood did. Maybe we should just use wooden blocks instead of plywood too.

> If yes, what's the ETA on the next edition? If not, what would you like your gravestone to say?
Lol, now that's kind of a mean thing to say, don't you think? I actually prefer bigger releases, more spaced apart and with a few minor bug fix releases in-between. This gives us the time to run forts and report bugs. Just look at the game itself: whenever it comes out, people abandon their old forts and jump at the new version. Then there are some bug-fixing releases, tools have to update and dust has to settle. After that there are community games and tool updates for months. It actually works out that major releases of DF are no more often than once a year and Toady keeps us hyped by his blog in the meantime.

> Nice work on the shotguns; they'll work well as light battle saddle armament. The only question is their source; the wastelanders can sell them, but should Stables have them from the outset?
Actually this gives us more than just shotguns. We can have dual miniguns: fire two or more bullets at once.
We can also have burst weapons. Put a syndrome on the assault rifle (all kinds) with itemsyndrome. Then have a reaction that consumes a stack of medium ammo and gives the pony 5 "burst 5" interactions that expire in 10(0?) years, have wait period of 10(0?) years (or maybe there is a better way to do one-shot interactions), need the syndrome from the assault rifle to work, use a cooldown syndrome, like the time spells and spray the enemy with 5 medium calibre bullets. Hail of metal! Great for defence if this would trigger only on short distance, like 3-6 tiles.
As for shotguns themselves, I have many more questions than that.
1) How many pellets should there be? Wikipedia says "The most commonly produced buckshot shell is a 12 gauge, 00 buck shell that holds 9 pellets." and "For instances, loads of 12 gauge, 00 buck are commonly available in 8 to 18 pellets", so I guess 8, 9 or 10 pellets work.
2) How do we get rid of all those pellets on the map? With shotguns the problem is multiplied over just robots and turrets.
3) How lethal should the pellets be? I think they should at least have a chance of piercing the skin, but that would make small calibre ammo less attractive.
4) How to obtain them and whether we need schematics for production. Well, some crates should have them of course and we could buy them, but if we need schematics for rifles and can't even make hunting rifles, then it depends on what kind of shotguns we want to have: If double-barrel, then no schematics should be required, as we can already make pistols. If the ones with 5 or so shells in a magazine, then a schematics should be needed. In any case, they shouldn't be available at embark.
5) How much resources per battle saddle? Minigun uses 3 steel for the minigun itself and 14 steel, gunpowder and brass for the bullets (that's assuming the ranged squads won't claim them first, but the work-around is to only assign them bronze and iron bullets). In my opinion a shotgun battle saddle (or turret) should use about 1/3 to 1/2 of that to make, otherwise shotguns won't be an attractive option. Furthermore replace steel with bronze and possibly brass with plastics for ammo.
This brings us to 4 steel for shotguns (let's say the saddle uses two shotguns and not 4), 5-10 bronze, 4-8 gunpowder and 4-8 plastics for ammo. This (especially bronze instead of steel) makes it an attractive option for mass production, but the gunpowder requirements are still there to not make it overshadow pistols and rifles.
I want to be able to afford 10-20 shotgun saddles for my entire military, but the lower damage and range on pellets will still keep me using rifles and AMRs.
6) Should there be "shotgun shell crates"? Probably.
7) How many shotguns per battle saddle, how much shots before reload and how long the reload? I copied much of this stuff from other battle saddles, but it probably needs more thought. 4 5-shooters for 20 shoots in rapid succession every 600 TUs would still make sense in-fluff, but otherwise be a total overkill. I'm not so sure if spacing the bursts every 200 TUs was such a good idea either. Shotguns should probably be about firing all at once, then going melee to finish off the enemy. Or maybe I'm wrong.

> > Well, an alternative would be to target all friendlies with healing spells that boost their recuperation, doing this often, indiscriminately and without any ill effects, like in Regen mod.
> That sounds a bit too powerful for my tastes.
Which is why I'm not strongly objected to the current system, even though I grumble at the inconvenience.

> > Ministry crates (plus ironshod/clad, robronco, and stable-tec) should have a chance of dropping notes that can be combined into a ministry specific expedition map.
> I was thinking memory orbs more, though notes can work.
Both can work.

> > ShowUnitSyndromes.rb now works for me.
> Interesting, though I'll have to weigh the advantages of knowing which spells your unicorns know against the clutter of various other interactions.
Hm, I should test it for Callgrow and see for myself. What is prints now is pretty cluttered, especially the repeating interactions from autosyndrome: http://pastebin.com/Bi4ZwA77 However, once he got the basic functionality, it is not so difficult to filter the output to just what we want or eliminate the repetitions by default and keep an option to print everything for debugging interactions. I do not volunteer, because I never programmed in Ruby and the script doesn't even fully work for me.

> The interrogation reaction won't work if you bring a still-caged prisoner within a tile of the Pinkamena. The Pinkamena will interrogate him inside the cage, but that freezes the process and prevents the creation of a memory orb (You'll need to kill the interrogated creature yourself).
Easy enough: keep pinkamenas in the stockpile for prisoners, dump their weapons using dfhack, then pit them in a room adjacent to chickens against ponies with full armour, but training weapons. Best of all worlds.

> Are those sorts of checks made all at the same time, or is there sort of a... cascade?
Probably it waits out a number of frames, then checks all the creatures.

> I've hit a bug, I'm not sure what triggered it or how to remedy it, but my mechanic went to upgrade a security turret into a minigun turret, but cancelled it because apparently we don't have a medium calibre ammo box, but the weird bit is, is that a few seconds later a turret upgrades anyway without any resources being used up.
Are you certain, the resources weren't consumed? Do you know how to uhm... replicate this bug for my turrets?
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2508 on: May 03, 2013, 09:29:31 am »

> flux carnisters
I'm pretty sure you can make flux blocks and use them in reactions. Introducing flux carnisters would introduce the same problems as plywood did. Maybe we should just use wooden blocks instead of plywood too.

I think that Flux Canisters would help people who embark somewhere without flux, while getting some other thing, like magma right off the bat, so it may be a good idea to include a poll for it... ya know, just in case.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 10:44:05 pm by Iceblaster »

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2509 on: May 03, 2013, 09:41:06 am »

> I think that Flux Canisters would help people who embark somewhere without flux, while getting some other thing, like magma right off the bat, so it may be a good idea to include a poll for it... ya know, just in case.

How would that help anyway? You can already embark with flux boulders or blocks and order those things from caravans. Plus we have easy access to bonemeal.

EDIT: It is not wrong to brainstorm ideas, just accept that some of those ideas will inevitably end up either bad, redundant or not feasible.

BTW, when it comes to plywood, how would you see the removal of plywood, with the plywood workshop using wooden blocks instead of plywood and breaking the furniture into wooden blocks too? We already have a reaction to make 4 wooden blocks per log, so we have easier building of wooden structures. The plywood workshop could accept wooden blocks instead of plywood. For rounding errors, just have a chance to make a wooden block. For example if something can be made out of 2 plywood now and disassembled into one, have the "make" reaction drop a wooden block 0.2 of the time and the reaction to break it down produce a wooden block 0.8 of the time. The upside is that we can already make a stockpile for wooden blocks, without going into stone->plywood and avoid problems with price, quality, inflated fort value, too many boards eating up FPS and so on. "Make" reactions should take material from the wood and make items indistinguishable from the carpenter's workshop. "Brake" reactions take material from the furniture. This eliminate the need for plywood material entirely, which might be bad if you want all furniture to be the same colour. If so, just have a reaction to make plywood blocks instead of wooden ones and use those for all the reactions.
What are your thoughts on this? Should we also be able to break up the furniture from carpenter's workshop (and recycle low quality beds, for example)? Is there something wrong with this idea that I'm missing?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 10:47:50 am by Maklak »
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Dropbox referral

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2510 on: May 03, 2013, 09:48:26 am »

> I think that Flux Canisters would help people who embark somewhere without flux, while getting some other thing, like magma right off the bat, so it may be a good idea to include a poll for it... ya know, just in case.

How would that help anyway? You can already embark with flux boulders or blocks and order those things from caravans. Plus we have easy access to bonemeal.

Oh right... I got nothing, forget my previous statement.

Roan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2511 on: May 03, 2013, 05:15:44 pm »

I got another bug, but I lost the save (I crashed the game because I didn't have time to save and awful things had transpired that weren't very !!fun!!). This is probably a DF thing, not specific to this particular mod. My expedition leader had the mining and farming labors on, but she literally wouldn't do anything. She'd sit in the de-facto meeting area by the wagon, whether there was work to be done with her applied labors or not. She would occasionally start 'cleaning'... by going to the bottom or top of the map and standing still for a moment before going back to the wagon with 'no job'. The fishing labor would make her 'fish' in the same way she would 'clean'. However, she wouldn't stop fishing, regardless of whether she caught anything. Stuck on the reaction, I think.
With the fishing labor off, she would fulfill consoling reactions. I only know this because a cave-in took the horn off my other miner while killing his buddy, and instead of having a tantrum spiral (he was at 0 for a bit...) he became ecstatic after crying on her shoulder and... becoming romantically engaged... ???

Thirtyeight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2512 on: May 03, 2013, 09:09:15 pm »

Are pulse mines set off by organic targets? If so, whats a good way to ensure they aren't wasted?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2513 on: May 03, 2013, 10:14:20 pm »

Yes, because they're creatures who can't discriminate with attacks.

No, for the same reason.

Wilde Card

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2514 on: May 03, 2013, 10:34:45 pm »

> I've hit a bug, I'm not sure what triggered it or how to remedy it, but my mechanic went to upgrade a security turret into a minigun turret, but cancelled it because apparently we don't have a medium calibre ammo box, but the weird bit is, is that a few seconds later a turret upgrades anyway without any resources being used up.
Are you certain, the resources weren't consumed? Do you know how to uhm... replicate this bug for my turrets?

Haha, as I said, I have no idea what's triggering it, but all of the resources that my mechanic gathers before job cancellation remain in the Maintenance workshop. :P I have been making use of it though, and have a small collection of minigun turrets pastured just inside my main gate ;D

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2515 on: May 04, 2013, 04:17:14 am »

> Are pulse mines set off by organic targets?

[IT_AFFECTED_CLASS:ENEMY]
[IT_REQUIRES:NOBREATHE]
This is rather clever. I think if Lycaeon added something like [IT_AFFECTED_CLASS:ROBOT] it would target enemies or robots (including our own), not enemy robots, but enemies with nobreathe exclude most organic targets. Steel Rangers and robots have it, though.

> If so, what's a good way to ensure they aren't wasted?
A separate entrance-airlock for the Steel Rangers and wild robots that's normally closed. Probably build a ceiling over it and have a pasture over a lever-operated hatch or bridge to drop more mines if needed and fill that thing with cage traps. I'm working on one in Callgrow.

In other news I'm working on a script, but let's just say that perl writing is a perishable skills and the language itself is a byatch who likes bananas.
EDIT: I got the basic functionality working and got rid of (most?) bugs. Results should come tomorrow and make Meph happy.

EDIT2: I wonder if this stuff has anything to do with the grass catching fire and if editing it would stop the wildfires and give us more incentive to use flame-throwers. [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:STRUCTURAL:STRUCTURAL_PLANT_FIRE_TEMPLATE] Nah, doesn't seem like it. Grass fires are probably hardcoded.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 06:49:55 pm by Maklak »
On mining Organics
Dropbox referral

Thirtyeight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2516 on: May 04, 2013, 06:49:46 pm »

I've been pondering, what about robotic pet Sweetie-Bots? Not sure what strategic value they'd have outside of giving positive thoughts. Perhaps they could use instruments and sing?

Does the Carve Hologem reaction require cut clear glass or rough?

I don't know if this is a bug or not, but ponies that put on battle saddles immediately drop their weapons. Rangers that attack my fort leave their weapons at the edge of the map while my soldiers leave their named weapons on the ground and never reclaim them.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 09:07:33 pm by Thirtyeight »

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #2517 on: May 04, 2013, 07:55:47 pm »

So I was looking through my old music library, and I came across a bunch of unlabeled songs. I had myself a listen.
It was my sister's MLP Gen. 3 Christmas Special soundtrack. Please direct me to the nearest Stable-Tec Mem-Away Brain Bleach™ dispenser.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2518 on: May 04, 2013, 08:34:42 pm »

So I was looking through my old music library, and I came across a bunch of unlabeled songs. I had myself a listen.
It was my sister's MLP Gen. 3 Christmas Special soundtrack. Please direct me to the nearest Stable-Tec Mem-Away Brain Bleach™ dispenser.

Ehhh, you proably would want a Ministry Of Morale Pinkamena to handle that instead

Mura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2519 on: May 04, 2013, 10:57:42 pm »

I've been pondering, what about robotic pet Sweetie-Bots? Not sure what strategic value they'd have outside of giving positive thoughts. Perhaps they could use instruments and sing?

I thought about doing that. It wouldn't be too hard- just make a robot with natural proficiencies in social/musical skills and [CAN_SPEAK]. Your citizens will interact with the robot as if it's a normal pony, making them happy and gaining social skills of their own. Additionally, robo-friends are an improvement over fleshly buddies in that they are less likely to break and cause a tantrum.
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 210