Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 540 541 [542] 543 544 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 840531 times)

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: The Barren Snowflake Wastes
« Reply #8115 on: June 11, 2020, 07:50:42 am »

I've been playing a game set in Waterdeep, though I believe we've harshly gone off the path of the original Dragon Heist plot. It's been great- I've been playing in it since September with some of my best friends online as a fallen aasimar fiend-warlock, and having a blast. Party comp is me, Masli of Neverwinter, the disaster bastard woman with genuinely fucking insanely good stats (she is only held back by her immensely poor life choices), Chasity Sweetkiss or 'Chase' the ex-pirate Tiefling sea-sorc, Imlas the drow fighter (he has a devil-infused sword that ate a deck of many things,) Pyrion of Salt and Snow (an eladrin who cannot convince his party that eladrin exist,)(and no, I CANNOT remember what class Pyrion is) Thurirl the lizardwoman druid who has literally no response beyond fight or flight, and Lythis Estelmurr the adopted Yuan-ti nobleman Paladin of the Crown.

I'm fiendlock, as mentioned, with Glasya as my patron. Been a real nice time, playing Waterdeep- it's kept me sane and is something to look forward to every saturday.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #8116 on: June 11, 2020, 08:02:27 am »

I think going completely off the rails is pretty much inevitable on Dragon Heist unless you've got an inside man who's read the adventure or the DM is very good at emergency improv, there's some seriously rickety structure in there.  You're having fun and that's all that matters, but I really hate that adventure.

Gonna set my next D&D game on a Niven-style ringworld, but not tell the players that.  So all the mythology and cosmology is based around explaining features of ringworlds for someone who doesn't know he's on one.  The world is a giant cradle, a flat disk with an arch overtop, and the sun hangs from the tip of the arch.  Thinking a Ra/Apep kind of dynamic, the sun is the chief god and his adversary is the night blocks, anthropomorphized as a serpent god that wants to eat him, with the priests doing banishment rituals to disempower it each night.  Other gods are vague ancestral memories of the creators of the ringworld.  Magic is just magic, sci-fi can have little a magic, as a treat.

Having demons be a motley pirate faction of aliens that have taken residence might be too silly, but I'm considering that too.
Shoes...

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #8117 on: June 11, 2020, 08:16:05 am »

Very cool. Love the night block bit especially

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8118 on: June 11, 2020, 08:16:14 am »

Interplanar travel is just traveling to another ring rotating around the sun

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #8119 on: June 11, 2020, 08:21:16 am »

Interplanar travel is just traveling to another ring rotating around the sun

There's just one ring, but being a proper 1 AU radius ring it's so big that even going 10% of its distance in one direction may as well be traveling to another planet, so there's probably things to do there.
Shoes...

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8120 on: June 11, 2020, 08:49:56 am »

Magic is just magic, sci-fi can have little a magic, as a treat.

Magic is the only way to build a ring world regardless ;)

But yes I like it too. There should be frost demons living on the outside of the ring where everything is always cold and dark
Love, scriver~

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8121 on: June 13, 2020, 12:41:09 pm »

I've been changing the flavour of an orc horde to fit my town of civilised orc banter. I would like to use them as a fun boss where the stakes are high, the challenge is high, but I don't have to worry about a TPK nor victory/defeat being without satisfying consequence.

Code: [Select]
Cultured horde of Orcs - the Shaking Spears Theatre Company

Armour Class - 12 (grandiose costumes, medium armour), Damage Reduction -1

STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
 22  12  16   7  11  10
 +6  +1  +3  -2  +0  +0

Skills:
Performance +6
Intimidation +6
Athletics +6
Proficient in the use of military drums, horns, pipes, strings, makeup and costuming (+2 to disguise checks made with costumes or disguise kit)
Condition Immunities: charmed, frightened, grappled, paralyzed, petrified, prone, restrained, stunned
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 10
Languages Common Draconic, Orcish dialect
Challenge 7 (2900 XP)

Horde. The horde can occupy another creature's space and vice versa, and the horde can move through any opening large enough for a Medium orc. Additionally, the horde is immune to any spell or effect that would alter its form.

Enthusiastic solicitation. As a bonus action, the horde can move up to its speed toward a potential audience member that it can see.

Audience interaction. The horde can take one reaction on every turn in combat a show.

Take centre stage. When the horde moves through the space of a Large or smaller creature, the horde can force the creature to make a DC 17 Strength saving throw. On a failed save, the creature is knocked prone.

Don't be shy. The cultured horde of orcs may grapple up to 6 medium sized creatures at full health, and up to 3 medium sized creatures at half health.

Actions Multiattack: The horde makes four attacks, or two attacks if the horde has half its hit points or fewer. The horde may use any selection of these attacks, but no more than one kind of attack per round:

Spoiler: attacks (click to show/hide)
A night to remember. If the horde has grappled someone and manages to escape a chase with them, roll on the carousing table to find out how their partying went.

A night you can't remember. If anyone is reduced to 5 (or 6) exhaustion or 0 HP or lower by the Orc horde, and they are unable to be recovered by their compatriots, they are not killed. Instead, set their HP to 1 / exhaustion to 5 and roll a 1d100 on the carousing table to find out what happened after the battle.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm all out of other carousing ideas / others to steal, but I'm happy with the 50 I've got.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • meat that thinks
    • View Profile
« Reply #8122 on: June 13, 2020, 01:51:25 pm »

LW, you're a genius.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8123 on: June 13, 2020, 03:41:37 pm »

LW, you're a genius.
Perhaps not, I completely forgot to add their HP

HP 189 (14d20)+42
Around about every 15 HP is 1 orc, so this horde is 12 orcs

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8124 on: June 13, 2020, 11:47:07 pm »

sounds hot
Black lives matter.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8125 on: June 14, 2020, 03:59:43 am »

If you didn't already have so many (excellent) Shakespear puns I would insist on making the Quivering Spear the deity of theatre/poetry/banter

Although 12 orcs sin't much of a horde

More of a mob

or a poetry slam
Love, scriver~

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #8126 on: June 14, 2020, 05:09:13 am »

I think there's room to replace some attacks with play puns -

The Tempest (area of effect swirling attack)
The Restraining of the Shrew
Midsummer Fight's Dream
Measure for Measure (reaction damage return)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8127 on: June 14, 2020, 05:19:17 am »

DO NOT MENTION THE PLAY - Unless the audience member succeeds on a DC 12 wisdom saving throw they blurt out "Do you mean Macbeth?" and are cursed with disadvantage on all attack rolls for 1d4 turns.
Love, scriver~

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8128 on: June 14, 2020, 05:37:56 am »

44 = "Hey you, you're finally awake. You were trying to cross the border, right?" a man asks you, as you are sitting in a cart riding to a destination unknown.
Damn it, now I got the urge to go Skyrim.

Absolutely amazing list. Beyond quality. Full marks to you for such a creative set of drunken hijinks outcomes.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #8129 on: June 14, 2020, 07:58:04 am »

44 = "Hey you, you're finally awake. You were trying to cross the border, right?" a man asks you, as you are sitting in a cart riding to a destination unknown.
Damn it, now I got the urge to go Skyrim.
"Wake up, we're here. Why are you shaking? Are you ok? Wake up. Stand up... there you go. You were dreaming. What's your name?"
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.
Pages: 1 ... 540 541 [542] 543 544 ... 623