Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 51

Author Topic: Hearts of Iron IV  (Read 99940 times)

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: Hearts of Iron IV
« Reply #600 on: June 24, 2017, 11:12:19 am »

The game's completely playable without the two DLCs. Their are a few mechanics that are DLC content that improve the game, but the main thing the DLC adds is new focus trees for Commonwealth countries and Eastern Europe. If you play as the majors or other countries, you'll be fine.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: June 24, 2017, 12:28:31 pm »

Actually TfV's new vassal management makes GB and Japan unplayable if you don't buy in.
Not sure if the air changes are free either.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: June 24, 2017, 01:53:48 pm »

Despite the Steam sale, there are better deals on Green Man Gaming example. But only marginally (about 20 GBP).

Bundling general game mechanics with nation specific mechanic cosmetics (which people may not play anyway) at such prices is a dirty move. Yes, I'm interested in licensing (if I want to play minor powers), and yes I would like to request lend lease, to be able to play the game fully. Sure, I like the unit graphics, but I don't need nation specific trees or actions, which I may not play in years.

General game mechanics should never be subject to DLCs, they should be offered as general patches. But they want to make money. 25 GBP is a full game price for two essential mechanics features, which likely isn't more than a few hundred lines of code (if that).

Paradox is out on the EA highway. But I'm sure short term share holders are content.
They're trying to recapture that CK2 magic.

CK2 DLC worked because they would lock the characters and startdates to AI but leave the gameplay changes free for everyone.  Where they lost their way was in Legacy of Rome where they locked a key gameplay improvement to AI but left the affected character playable.  But they got away with it because they had so much goodwill from the other expansions and because Legacy of Rome was well received.  Now they've gotten more mixed responses from Conclave and Monks + Mystics, but I don't think they really understand the problem.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: June 24, 2017, 02:57:04 pm »

The air system is free. I haven't played GB or Japan yet, so I'll take your word for it.

At any rate I'm not happy with the DLC policy for this game, so I have no plans to buy them any time soon.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: July 19, 2017, 03:17:12 pm »

Pisskop is mad at this game

I figured out that england will guarantee a country after the world hits 20% tension.  But if you begin to justify a war on a country before 20% they wont after.

I then figured out they wont necessarily do it if they anticipate a war with another faction, at higher tensions against more odds.  i.e. if I was italy and didnt reich up, the reich settles in for antagonizing france, they wouldnt guarantee greece.

Then I figured out that the timing for the game is set up so that I cannot nom on the swiss' factories and eat yugoslavia.  I want slavia.  I demand that my italian empire look complete and whole and nice, and I cant do that if I dont nom down on the slavs.

But I cannt figure out how to get at the checks when the dow me for dowing yugo.  I can eventually get romania (or more ideally hungary) on my side, but thats at 40% tension, and britain will ally with the checks at 50%, which is a japanese war away from 40.

Those japs either puppet china for a whooping 20% tension or dow half of asia (and win) at once.

how do nom the swiss and yugos?  (and greece after)  without the check problem?  Ive stumbled into it before, once, and then went after the allies+french, but...

In short, Im still new to the game, I see some potential in being other nations, such as romania or hungary or russia or japs, and Ive mostly stuck to the minor fascists or italy.

The games ai is .... kind of predictable.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: July 22, 2017, 04:04:11 am »

so yea.  the secret to getting around england is patience.  who knew?

hitlers a one man show.  and im pretty sure he came back from the dead; after being assassinated Himmler stepped up but then when the soviets broke the nonaggression pact he was there in the avatar.

one thing i hate is how country occupation handling is midwar.  ugg.

one thing i love is how after the new rome empire and Reich fascified Europe the various free faction members began to aimlessly turn on each other.  they are after all power mongers with a large and very expensive army in the field

in the year 1940, i see blibification coming.  id hlbe doing hitler a favor id i backstabbed him, right?  keeping his empire strong and in the hands of the strong?
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: July 24, 2017, 12:11:55 pm »

New game, took france without hitlers help this time, as he was busy dowing everything and getting eaten by russia.

did much better on the army.  Better homeland defense, learned about resistance and how to garrison, and how to naval invade.  Lost 250k putting down albania, greece, and france though, which I think I have better learned to avoid.  Since the ai likes to plan and play cautiously I use integrated tanks and heavily artilierized calvary.

Horsies are surprisingly useful.

So, more tanks, less mountain attacks.  Highly fortified mountaineers.  And better plane support.

But the issue that remains is navy.  I get my shit roflstomped by a dozen destroyers and some airplanes.  100 ships lost to 200 plans and a handful of baby boats.  fuckin dingys.  This time Ive used more naval bombers and coastal fighters.  Going well, since I only fight out of the Mediterranean.

Going better, not best yet.  Focused my research into industrializing and on artillery and footmen over putputs or vroomvrooms.  The results is that Im much better defensively and can support my attacks with heavier mountaineers and faster armors.

This time im also investing more into forts for key garrisons to avoid the brittish 30 division sicilian invasion.
And more radar and aa platforms.  going well too.

Last game they invaded sicily and southern italy all the way up to rome before my tanks stalemated them.  real pains to dig out too.  but I presume they lost 30 divisions worth of men?  And I lost the capitulation of france to hitler.  I presume I will eventually have to kill them.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 12:20:13 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: July 24, 2017, 04:53:55 pm »

Did Spain go fascist? If Spain goes Fascist, simply take over the straight of Gibraltar and the Suez canal and you'll have locked down the Mediterranean as Italy. Britain can't get any more of its navy in there and you just have to destroy the french navy and what Britain has around.
Sigtext

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: September 30, 2017, 10:03:57 pm »

Setting up a hotjoinable game of this with the Road to 56 mod.

Server Name: SomeJackassesMessingAbout
Password: SJMA
Server ID: 90111311047343106

Also got a discord set up for voice chat here: https://discord.gg/5fjtGx5
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: October 28, 2017, 06:42:17 am »

So I decided to take another go at this game, bought the latest DLC and am now reinstalling the game.
Perhaps my brain will be more prepared for the game now. I don't think it was the last time I tried the game.

edit:
Errr.. I keep getting.. intimidated.. by all the buttons whenever I go into a new menu.
Perhaps I am not as ready as I thought I was.. ._.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 08:14:07 am by Ultimuh »

Mookzen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: October 28, 2017, 10:11:43 am »

Game is too binary, improvements need to me made.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #611 on: October 28, 2017, 10:16:03 am »

I suggest getting Black Ice mod.
Also, maybe you should try HoI III with Black Ice or something. Much simplier.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: October 28, 2017, 10:29:02 am »

I remember it taking a learning curve.
But I also remember it then eating multiple days of my life. Great stuff.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: October 29, 2017, 12:01:34 pm »

Oh masters of Grant Strategy gaming, what country should I be playing as?
I'm not sure what nation would be best suited for someone kind of new as me.
Although I would prefer a minor nation, and relatively easy to defend without too much effort, I still want to be capable of invading some of its nearest neighbours.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: October 29, 2017, 12:04:42 pm »

Italy or France, I'd say.  You're capable of slugging it out with the big boys eventually, but there's a lot less micromanagement and your starting positions are well defended.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 51