Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 334

Author Topic: MOOK: Such sights to see  (Read 453842 times)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: MOOK: All I want for Christmas...
« Reply #75 on: January 25, 2019, 05:18:08 pm »

-snip-

((You clearly did not read my action.))
((You sure about that?
"Once the tube is open, contain the sample "
They're opening the tube NOW, THEN we're scanning it. The NPCs aren't waiting for our [in-universe, anyway] paranoid selves to make ourselves happy with safety and whatnot. Your action, as written, at least as I interpret it, suggests that you're not waiting, since you didn't SAY you're waiting. Though maybe it's all academic anyway, and the rodent is going to spontaneously combust as soon as it's exposed to the outside air, who knows?))
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
Re: MOOK
« Reply #76 on: January 25, 2019, 05:20:51 pm »

Murine teleportation, Qualt states.

Keep my distance. Let the security teams do their jobs. Analyze the rest of this laboratory space.

Spoiler: Qualt (click to show/hide)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • meat that thinks
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 25, 2019, 05:30:22 pm »

-snip-

((You clearly did not read my action.))
((You sure about that?
"Once the tube is open, contain the sample "
They're opening the tube NOW, THEN we're scanning it. The NPCs aren't waiting for our [in-universe, anyway] paranoid selves to make ourselves happy with safety and whatnot. Your action, as written, at least as I interpret it, suggests that you're not waiting, since you didn't SAY you're waiting. Though maybe it's all academic anyway, and the rodent is going to spontaneously combust as soon as it's exposed to the outside air, who knows?))

((If we're not getting a chance to scan it, then we need to not scan it and contain it. I'd rather immediately tube it and scan after than wait around for it to be scanned while exposed to open air. Also, PW is lazy and doesn't roll initiative or even read every action before writing up the first one, so whoever posted first, goes first. This means that the medic is going to inevitably grab it with its bare damn hands before I'm able to actually do anything, because I was too distracted to reply immediately to this update. By the time that my action resolves, the tube is already open and someone is already doing something suicidal. So the best I can do is contain the damage.
Well, I could yell at the person in question not to touch it in IC, if I weren't playing as a mute character. I won't try to convince other people to change what they're doing OOC because it's a bloody RP game and we're supposed to play our characters. Likewise, I won't radically change my action over things people say to me OOC, because it's my character doing the action and people talking in OOC are not communicating to my character.))

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 25, 2019, 05:38:17 pm »

((So the presumption here is that after being scanned the rodent will somehow still be hiding dangers in such a way that we can't detect? Fair enough, but presumably the first creature is harmless and the second one is death incarnate, that's usually how a story like this works, is it not? Anyway, we're just supposed to hand it to the scientist, in-character your cultist has no reason to beat up his fellows or...shove one of their hands in a cylinder and be unable to close the other end or whatever. It'd be a better idea to trust the scientists somewhat and just let the guy hand them the darned rodent, then be ready for trouble when they send a deadly-poisonous arachnid or whatever through the teleporter.))
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 25, 2019, 05:38:56 pm »

((IC someone already busted open someone's face))

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 25, 2019, 05:41:56 pm »

((IC someone already busted open someone's face))
((That one WAS an accident, from the look of things.))

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 25, 2019, 06:36:44 pm »

”All this fuss over one little mouse? You eggheads really are a jumpy bunch, aren’t you? Will you be calling us in to squash spiders and chase moths out of your rooms?”
Take note of everyone’s positions around the room. Is anyone standing in anyone else’s crossfire? If so, try to arrange everyone so that they’re not in danger of shooting each other.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I only ate a few vampire hearts. Like, three tops. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Go check out Shadow of the Void!

The_Two_Eternities

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 25, 2019, 07:04:21 pm »

Inspect the readouts to see if anything's happening/get a baseline for future trials.

Wait I didn't read everything.
Okay there.

Spoiler: Patrick Edmundson (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 07:06:35 pm by The_Two_Eternities »
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=177472.0
Roll to Multitask, seeking new players.
Yeah sorry, someone blew up a street in my state and took the internet down for multiple days with it.
This really happened. 2020 was wild.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 25, 2019, 07:20:44 pm »

Sulk in a corner, giving the occasional theatrical groan of pain as I probe at the cotton stuffed in my mouth with my tongue.

Should probably get my sidearm out too, I guess, and put it somewhere handy.

((Why so much OOC? Good grief.))
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #84 on: January 25, 2019, 10:00:17 pm »

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 26, 2019, 12:17:33 am »

Edge around the room while facing the teleporter and keeping the rifle ready.  If the mouse detonates into demons, or demons otherwise appear, shoot the demons.  If the mouse doesn't become something exceptionally harmful, continue around to the crate Spuds is behind, and take cover with him.  Watch behind him, just in case a demon teleports into a flanking position.

Spoiler: Sheet (click to show/hide)

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: MOOK
« Reply #86 on: January 26, 2019, 11:31:08 am »

Great, looks like we've been called out for nothing. Slouch against a handy console and just observe the overly dramatic attempts of my teammates to move a mouse from point A to point B.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 26, 2019, 11:49:16 am »

Sip some coffee and observe what the team does to this mouse.

Spoiler: Character Sheet (click to show/hide)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 26, 2019, 01:09:57 pm »

Get some coffee while everyone else keeps messing around with the mouse.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #89 on: January 26, 2019, 02:51:06 pm »

Spoiler: HAZMAT Harry, HMRC (click to show/hide)

Run the scanner again, check that mouse for hazards, then tell people whether it's safe or not. If it is, remove it if it's safe let someone else remove it.

Then ask what the next creature they're bringing through is.

Harry walks over to the tube but shrinks back a bit as the tube lifts, retracting into the ceiling enough to allow him to get at the mouse. He sticks the scanner towards the critter and checks it. Ozone, mild temperature elevation, some quickly diminishing radiation and heavy hydrogen. Trace amounts of burnt organic matter, probably hair. Seems safe enough.

"A variety. I believe a dog is up next. Then an ape, then a man. Then two men." Stiles replies to Harry's question of whats up next.

Spoiler: medic (click to show/hide)

If HAZMAT guy and occult guy says it's safe go to pick the mouse to check for physical irregularities.
Harry gives Dave a thumbs up, so Dave walks over and picks the mouse up by the tail. He inspects it for a good hard moment before placing it in the palm of his hand. He's not a vet or anything but the creature looks pretty much fine; bit of burnt hair and the exposed skin looks like it might have been sunburnt a bit but otherwise its fine. No extra heads or leaking fluids but without an autopsy or at least some imaging he can't be totally sure.

Stiles gestures and Dave comes over to him. Stiles produces a Standard containment pod and opens the top, holding it so Dave can deposit the mouse inside. The mouse safely stored, he places the pod down by the base of the panel and starts poking at the controls.

Sit on the metal crate and wait for the next teleportation.
Spoiler: Heather Reid (click to show/hide)
Heather gets out of the Coward Conga Line and sits on the crate, feeling slightly let down by the lack of terror.

Stand off to the side of Dave, keeping the 'foam gun' at the ready (try not to stand in anyone's line of fire, and if possible keep my back towards the room's exit). If the mouse attacks him or otherwise poses a threat, immediately try to stick it to the floor (preferably without hitting Dave or any other teammate/ally!)

If possible, ask the good doctor a list of the creatures they are planning to send through, as well as if they know about any variance in the position of teleported subjects in addition to the time variance we just witnessed. Also ask them to delay the sending of the next sample until this one is well and fully processed. 

"Ok then Harry, if you grab it, I'll keep the foam ready in case it gets any funny ideas.

Oh, and by the way fellas, apparently that fancy timer they have is more a suggestion than an actual countdown, so be ready for possible unexpected teleportation events."

Spoiler: Jion Maupin (click to show/hide)
Foam seems unnecessary at the moment so Jion listens in about the list of critters coming through.  When Stiles finishes, Jion asks about the timer.

"The timer is an approximation." Stiles says, "Due to the natural time delay between transmissions and responses, we're running things off a standard time table in which we have just enough time to send in a response to let them know we're ready before they automatically send the next specimen.  We're running off the time table but there's a chance that we get slightly out of alignment.

No, I'm afraid we can't stop now."

Just has he says this, the Clock begins displaying numbers again.

Use my OMNITECH Contract Notebook's Omnilawayer Suite to make up the papers for the inevitable `Excessive Use of Force on Potential Future Samples of Omnitech`. Lawsuit.
Also a waiver for disassociating Omnitech and it's PR employees from any backlash caused by `Un-associated Companies' Products & Promised Samples.`

((Character sheet please))
This guy, whoever they are, shows excellent imitative and starts preemptively printing out legal paperwork.

"Guess we'll alternate.  I'll pull the next one."

Remain ready.  Keep looking at the teleporter while the mates pick up the mouse.. there might be more on the way already.

Spuds stays behind the crate. Cowardly or not, he has faith the crate will protect him.  He says a little prayer to the crate.

Clem shrugs and pushes past anyone trying to contain the specimen using improper procedure such as "bare hands".

What risk factors are associated with data loss in transferral of living organisms?

Once the tube is open, contain the sample using an OMNITECH® Universal Containment Pod. If an employee manages to rush to the tube before me and grasp the specimen without any protection or containment, clasp the OMNITECH® Universal Containment Pod down on the sample while it remains in the employee's hands, and subsequently strike the employee in the head with my OMNITECH® Null-Rod.

Clem remembers that there are many risk factors for data loss. Solar winds. High energy particles. Imprecisely formed plasma envelope around the matter.  Interception of background radiation that isn't filtered out. Unforeseen quantum decay.  Lots of things really.  As per the results of the loss...oh could be just about anything. Probably a dead test subject is most likely.

The mouse has been contained already so Clem wacks Dave upside the head with its null-rod and proceeds to angrily mime not to pick up things without gloves. Dave seems confused and a bit dazed. Maybe give head trauma AFTER the explanation next time. 

"Ooh, brownies! Gimme one, eh?"

Assist Pathos in brownie consumption. Root through refrigerator for additional snacks. Incinerate anything unappetizing.

Jon takes a brownie and munches on it while continuing to search the fridge. Hmm. There's a lot of stuff in here; sandwiches, pie, cookies, meatloaf, reconstituted nutrient paste, pizza, pasta, etc.  Jon sets the incinerator down and opens the large top hatch. He begins liberally tossing food into the incinerator; anything he doesn't like.  That done, he carries an armful of the remaining goods to the table and sits down, spoiled for choice.

"Hm? Sure, sure."

While absent-mindedly munching on one of the 'free' muffins, try to remotely connect to any recording devices or other sensors in the lab.

Pathos continues to eat his brownie, which he insists on calling a muffin for some reason. With the cube charging, he activates the holo screen and keyboard and tries to connect to the Teleporter lab.
[8]
He manages to get in and connect to the security minicams that are spread throughout the room. He even links them together to form a little 3d hologram model of the room with little people walking around and arguing about mice.

Murine teleportation, Qualt states.

Keep my distance. Let the security teams do their jobs. Analyze the rest of this laboratory space.

Spoiler: Qualt (click to show/hide)
Qualt wanders about, scanning the rest of the room, but there's very little more to see.  He waves in at the scientists behind the security windows but they mostly frown or ignore him. No fun.

”All this fuss over one little mouse? You eggheads really are a jumpy bunch, aren’t you? Will you be calling us in to squash spiders and chase moths out of your rooms?”
Take note of everyone’s positions around the room. Is anyone standing in anyone else’s crossfire? If so, try to arrange everyone so that they’re not in danger of shooting each other.
Lance goes around, checking firing angles, but finds things are pretty much ok.

Inspect the readouts to see if anything's happening/get a baseline for future trials.

Wait I didn't read everything.
Okay there.

Spoiler: Patrick Edmundson (click to show/hide)
Same as everyone else who has done this action.

Sulk in a corner, giving the occasional theatrical groan of pain as I probe at the cotton stuffed in my mouth with my tongue.

Should probably get my sidearm out too, I guess, and put it somewhere handy.

((Why so much OOC? Good grief.))
Mildred sits in the corner, holding her mouth shut and rubbling idly at the blood staining her lips and chin.  She draws her side arm and sets it beside her, but mostly seems focused on her teeth or lack there of.

Edge around the room while facing the teleporter and keeping the rifle ready.  If the mouse detonates into demons, or demons otherwise appear, shoot the demons.  If the mouse doesn't become something exceptionally harmful, continue around to the crate Spuds is behind, and take cover with him.  Watch behind him, just in case a demon teleports into a flanking position.

Spoiler: Sheet (click to show/hide)
Rezel circles the room and then joins the coward conga line. Tactically, of course.

Great, looks like we've been called out for nothing. Slouch against a handy console and just observe the overly dramatic attempts of my teammates to move a mouse from point A to point B.
Roald looks for some exposed buttons and switches to lean against but sadly the only ones around are currently occupied by Stiles. So he instead leans against a wall with his arms folded and laughs quietly to himself.

Sip some coffee and observe what the team does to this mouse.

Ed returns from the break room and idly sips coffee while watching the mouse dance. Which isn't to say the mouse is dancing but the silly actions of his team which could be called a dance of sorts. The mouse dance.

He stops thinking along these lines because it isn't funny.

Get some coffee while everyone else keeps messing around with the mouse.
Benny asks Ed where he got the coffee and follows Ed's directions to the break room, getting some for himself.

The clock displays
2:35:25

And the tube returns to its closed position with a hiss.  As this is happening, Stiles waves his hand at the security team.

"There's a cage out in the hall for this dog. Please go get it."

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 334