Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Multiple Food/Drink Stockpiles  (Read 1327 times)

wooks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Multiple Food/Drink Stockpiles
« on: January 30, 2014, 08:55:12 pm »

Hmm, I'm having trouble setting up a medical experience facility (hehehehe), and I don't want my 'patients' to have much contact with the rest of the fort, but when I try to set up a food stockpile for them the rest of the fort keeps eating/drinking from it. Any suggestions? I'm kind of leaning away from burrowing the entirety of my fortress.
In a game like Dwarf Fortress, going to the wiki being cheating is like saying bringing a parachute is cheating for skydiving.
"Has it been 4 days? Better check if my penis is still there again."

sirdave79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Multiple Food/Drink Stockpiles
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 09:02:50 pm »

In some of my experiements recently ive noticed that when I add small piles of food/drink to "experimental areas" they are often consumed by unwanted customers.

My current best guess if that the shortest distance to food and drink wins.

Perhaps in your case your bedrooms (where my dwarves hang out) or your main meeting area (dining hall ?) might be closer to your newly designated food piles than the ones you want them to take from.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 09:07:51 pm »

Burrowing the whole fort really isn't that hard. I do it in nearly every fort sooner or later, to have reasonable control over areas and jobs that my dwarves should and should not do.

I find that the best setup is to have one global burrow to which you add every dwarf by default. Then, if a specific situation arises, you remove them from that burrow and add them to a new one with specific, narrow restrictions. You also might need to remove certain portions of the global burrow if you don't want the general populace to use a particular stockpile. The minecart stop QSP can help you to keep a section stocked even if it's off-limits to most of the population. Ask me for details if you can't figure out a setup.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

wooks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 09:27:01 pm »

Unfortunately the minecart QSP is really shitty for food b/c you can't effectively use barrels/jugs/etc. I suppose I could have my 'patients' gather and store the food, but I don't know how I would go about drink.

Also, It's definitely not closer to the rest of the dwarves, I have a kitchen/food production area setup right next to my bedchambers with the 'medical school' on the opposite side of it.

As I recall you can create stockpiles on bridges, maybe I can simply drop the stockpile...
In a game like Dwarf Fortress, going to the wiki being cheating is like saying bringing a parachute is cheating for skydiving.

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 12:27:37 am »

You could QSP in brewable plants along with the food and have a dwarf on the inside handle brewing of drinks for the patients.  Alternitively if you go burrows what you could do is have them overlap a bit.  The fortress delivers to a stockpile on the edge of their burrow and the patients take it from that stockpile and move it to one that is only in their burrow.

Necrisha

• Bay Watcher
  • 0.0 0.o o.0 o.o -.- zzzZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 12:38:54 am »

you can always take advantage of dump behaviour in front of pits. As long as you have the initial drop zone sealed off while food, drink and clothing are dropped you can completely seal off the experimental area. Or would that be too tricky to accomplish?
EDIT: Keas restricted to tropical forests where they belong.  Those evil, EVIL, foul little things.

Edit: The baby murderer became a friend of the fortress, which started a loyalty cascade, and now most of the squad is dead.

wooks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 01:58:55 am »

Hmm, maybe you can't put stockpiles on bridges...

Can anyone think of any other way I can cover a bridge in food/drink w/o doing something super tedious like manual job cancellation?

I'm not super sure what you mean by the "dump behavior in front of pits", if you could explain a bit maybe that would help me.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 02:04:57 am »

Hmm, maybe you can't put stockpiles on bridges...

Can anyone think of any other way I can cover a bridge in food/drink w/o doing something super tedious like manual job cancellation?

I'm not super sure what you mean by the "dump behavior in front of pits", if you could explain a bit maybe that would help me.

Code: [Select]
=........
=........
=........
If the =s are a zone set to be a garbage dump, and the .s are open space, then anything set to be dumped will be thrown into the open space.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

wooks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 02:12:46 am »

Ohhh, okay. Yeah, that will work perfectly! Thank everyone!