Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 99

Author Topic: You are a Monster - Turn 63  (Read 214409 times)

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Monster - Turn 51
« Reply #1335 on: September 17, 2023, 11:01:50 am »

Mist Form, Snowstorm! Try and fling out of here above the trees, riding the wind away.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Monster - Turn 52
« Reply #1336 on: September 17, 2023, 05:50:54 pm »

Update 52:

Caar, the Large Raven  - (Crystalizedmire)
Use my Wolf bird ability to summon a bunch of wolves to distract the hawks at worst and at best kill the hawks.

(I have updated the effects of your traits and skills, you may want to have a look!)

[Wolf Bird (Luck)]: [2]
You let out a magical call, any wolf in your immediate surroundings should be able to hear. None showed up for now. The flock of ravens that was always following you formed a protective cloud around you, hopefully hiding you from the White Hawks.

[White Hawks: Talons]
Spoiler: Detail (click to show/hide)
Hawk#1 Attack Roll: 5=[4]+1
Caar Defence Roll: 10=[8]+2
Hawk#2 Attack Roll: 5=[4]+1
Caar Defence Roll: 6=[4]+2
[Failed Attacks]
[White Hawks open for a Counterattack (+2)]

For now you managed to evade the attacks thanks to the noble sacrifice of the lesser ravens, who were ruthlessly plucked one by one.

Nearby creatures:
- White Hawk Familiar [Hostile]
-> Hawk#1
-> Hawk#2

Spoiler: Caar Status (click to show/hide)

Eximius Res, the Rusty Ring (Hawk132)
"... Not a good time for a surprise like this," the ring remarked with a mental grimace. With depleted mana reserves, a protracted battle is not a very welcoming notion, "Let's follow the tracks and hope we see it before it sees us, catch it off-guard or when it's distracted - it seems to like going after the critters."

Oh boy, not looking forwards to this. Can't really lay a trap since we're behind it and we've no idea what it's capable of aside from likely being quite strong and possibly fast. Best case scenario, as far as I can tell, is hopefully taking it by surprise and getting a sneak attack in.

So for now, a quiet, stealthy approach and trying to look for an opportunity to engage on favorable terms.

[The keywords: 'intelligent undead', 'brutal kills with a blunt object', 'issued you a challenge' - all remind me of Eversor, so honestly, kinda scared over here.]

Sneak:
Bonus: Deadland Survivor (+2)
[Very Hard 16]: [1] -Critical Failure-

With growing unease, you continued following the traces left by the "challenger". As you got closer, the two of you recognized the place where you were led to: a mound of earth not big enough to be called a hill, but high enough to overlook the barren lands around. There was no wind, and the greyed skies seemed brighter than usual. Where even they conspiring against you?

You reached the given place. A figure was standing upright at the top of the mound, waiting. When Prias arrived at the base of the mound, it slowly started advancing you.

Approximatively four heads higher than Prias, it appeared to be a towering armour wielding a colossal mace as tall as itself. The metal had a rotten appearance, as if undeath itself had managed to seep into it, and large sections even had a semi-organic look to them. The eerie face helmet resembled an articulate skeletal face with razor sharp teeth, and one could not miss the vicious purple glint in these empty eyesockets. The entire being exuded of unlife force, taking the shape of a low purple fog that slowly flowed and dissipated down the ground.

It spoke. Its voice deep and resonating, with trace of metallic echoes.
"Finally. How long has it been since the last warrior? I thought for sure this time, my mind would erode. Very well."

It entered a battle-stance, causing the purple fog to expand from its feet in a wide radius.

[Hawk-eyed] [2] -Failure-
This battle stance was unknown to you, and neither you or Prias could see any opening in it.

Prias drew you with resolve, and fear, and desire to live. He sensed that if he failed here, he would die. He exhaled to calm his beating heart.
"Can a battle not be avoided?"

"A foolish question that deserves no answer."

Nearby Monsters:
- Undead Challenger
[HP? MP? STR? CON? POW? RES? INT? IND?]
[A towering armour wielding a colossal mace as tall as itself. The metal had a rotten appearance, as if undeath itself had managed to seep into it, and large sections even had a semi-organic look to them. Its face helmet is morphed in the likeness of a skeletal face with razor-sharp teeth.]

Spoiler: Eximius Res Status (click to show/hide)

Squacks the Carrion Bird - (Devastator)
Well, the slimes don't seem super-powerful, so that's good.  But if I kill the tree now, they're gonna eat the essence and level up.  I'd better talk with them and find out what's going on.  Plus my claws might grow back.

Activate Spell Resistance.  The tree isn't magic, but the slimes might be, and they might attack.

Land, and start talking with the slimes.

"Stay away from the tree.  It's mine, and I'm going to kill it."

[Spell Resistance] -4MP
Resistance temporarily increased by 2 against Intermediate or lower Spells.

You landed near the Slimes, engaging in conversation with them. They seemed to convene for a bit, then a red slime bigger than the others answered.
"After tree dead, you leave carcass to us. Agree then."

It seemed that if they avoid needlessly putting themselves in danger, they were fine with you taking the kill. Maybe they weren't aware of Essence, or even able to absorb it. You weren't keen on taking that risk, though.

Nearby monsters:
-At least two "Tentacle Trees"
> Tree #1 [-19HP] Wounded (Med. Dis.)
[HP? MP? STR2 CON4 POW? RES? INT? IND?]
[Some dendritic creature that is, well, a huge and venerable tree with an arsenal of vicious vines at its disposal. Immobile but dangerous nonetheless, it seems to have some close relationship with the bark/vine spawns.]

-No more "bark spawns?" Vinelings
[Creatures of bark and vines with a close relationship with the "tentacle trees". Innately adept at tridimensional movement in the dense and treacherous jungle.]

-A group of coloured slimes
[Slimes, seemingly featureless bar their many individual colours.]

Spoiler: Squacks Status (click to show/hide)

Azarian, the Imbued Thoughtling (Dustan Hache)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
”Tick toc.. Feel strange now. Think I am growing. Dont want to scare you with it. Go back to tribe without me? I can catch up afterwards..” Azarian said as he condensed, shedding the ruined clothes as he reverted to his original shape in full, twitching excitedly as the sensation of change washed over him.
Evolve!

You changed, again.

Smarter, and hungrier. More powerful. Focus, qwell the hunger. For now. Strong feelings, desires... closer to a greater state. Exhilarating.

Good thing Toc had left as you instructed him. Your twitching gaze would have likely have terrified him, regardless of your true intentions. Now calmer, you catched up afterward, unless you had unfinished business here.

Nearby Beings:
- Lineine Great Wolf (Stage 2) [Dead]
[HP? MP? STR2 CON1 POW1 RES1 INT? IND0]
> -18HP/-2MP
[Spell Resistance]
- Toc the Teal Goblin

Spoiler: Azarian's Status (click to show/hide)

Ulkas, the Horned Demon (Sarrak)
Ulkas chucked a bit at Astrosa humor. As a demon, he found it perfectly morbid for the situation, but could see where the difference with Liel worldview lied. Both himself and Astrosa did not care, not truly, about persons from ancient past. He did crave knowledge, indeed, and they both strived for power, but to feel pity or remorse? The closest emotion he felt was respect - and it only applied to those he engaged in conversation with. Strangely, that did not include the Last. Unnerving.

”We are indeed not desperate. But I do find your comment funny, it might indeed be either cultural or learned thing. Not like either you, Liel, or Xatares had to evolve by killing others. Anyway, can you make sure that restart of facility won’t require more Essence, thus trying to kill the remaining inhabitants?”

Make sure we don’t accidentally flush ancient efforts into drain by being too hasty with awakening.

Liel was quite surprised by you showing concern, in a good way of course.
"Thank you for your concern. It is a valid worry, but there should be no risk of accidentally draining the survivors. "Essence" levels have reached acceptable levels for the facility to run on ambient "Essence". At worse, it could cause the surrounding lands to be drained, but that's not our immediate priority. I will still run a system check and ask for Xatares advice.

Astrosa was boredly poking at some broken machinery.
"Heh. I can't wait for your to meet our kins from Neodaemonium. How I long to see their agonized faces, hehehe..."

Liel didn't respond, either because she was too busy, or she realized Astrosa wasn't really expecting an answer.
"System check completed. Endorfos will reactivate without compromising the security of the individuals under its care. However, the drain effect on the surrounding land will have a noticeable effect, but that's not our priority."

With everything confirmed, you manually activated Endorfos. You sensed a beat of the soul, of an individual awakening from a very deep slumber. Machinery started to hum, lights flickered on and off, until they settled. A voice spoke to your mind, it had a calm, reassuring tone appropriate to some clerk in the medical field.

"My gratitude for restoring Endorfos. Affiliates of Ichor Extraction Facility Xatares, assisted by Monica-class Liel: Ulkas, Astrosa. I have been given a general outlook of your partnership from the situation report submitted by Monica-class Liel. As thanks, I would be honored to offer you a partnership and put the facilities of Endorfos at your disposal, under certain conditions that we can negotiate on."

Spoiler: Ulkas Status (click to show/hide)

Kori, the Elemental Spirit of Ice  - (TricMagic)
Mist Form, Snowstorm! Try and fling out of here above the trees, riding the wind away.

Mist Form activated: Medium Advantage to avoid attacks (+2)
Spell: Snowstorm [Intermediate: 2MP base / +1MP per turn / Light Disadvantage]
-2MP
Thin, magical snow suddenly covers the area. The enemy seems hindered by it.

"You will not escape!"

Your enemy cloaked itself with the fog, turning its body into icy fog save for its head and clawed arms. It attempted to chase after you, struggling against your Snowstorm.

Kori Escape
Other: Mist Form (+2) Snowstorm (+1) Mist Form&Snowstorm synergy (+1)
Difficulty [Moderate-Hard]: 12
Roll: [9]+4=13
Outcome: [6] -Overshoot-

You rode the wind like icy petals, evading your furious pursuer who was befuddled by a shadow in your snowstorm which it mistook for you. From afar, you heard it hopefully one last time.

"I will remember you little spirit! I will-"

Sheesh. Such vehemence did not fit the serene snowy peaks.
That one definitely won't give up until it finds you...

Nearby Monsters:
Frost-Risen Ambusher
[A humanoid skeleton made of ice with a gaze filled with malevolence. It wears a cloak of faint fog, making it hard to see at times. Seems to be able to turn into fog at will.]

Spoiler: Spirit of Ice Status (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2023, 05:52:40 pm by Nakéen »

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: September 17, 2023, 05:51:44 pm »

Active Players List

Crystalizedmire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: September 17, 2023, 06:04:32 pm »

Hopefully, the mages aren't here yet
Peck at hawk#1
(thanks for updating my skills and traits affect!)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2023, 07:20:32 pm by Crystalizedmire »
she/her

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: September 17, 2023, 07:19:06 pm »

... Time moves on, even in this cold pace. My knowledge is outdated, and the wolf has fallen?

Not good, not good at all. I can't hunt under these conditions. And that thing, prideful. It won't stop.. Can't even tell it's power.

The winds continue to blow as she thinks.

"I need allies." she realizes. On her own she's no more than food. Despite once treating other sprites as such to evolve. "I think that big golem is the other, but they don't like me. Then again I've changed since then. The only other option is that risen spirit for protection. Still, I need to hurry."

Switch out of mist form, double-time back to the flower fields to gather information and spread the word. Keep the snow going but add Antarctic Wind to give some more speed. A tailwind behind her rather than a damaging spell is the idea.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2023, 08:33:21 pm by TricMagic »

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: September 17, 2023, 07:52:30 pm »

That's good.  If they don't do things with whatever that weird stuff is, they might be good to bring to the island.  It'll be good to save them.

As for the fight.. I'm fine if my claws regrow, or if I figure out how to fight better in all these branches.  If either of those happens, I should be able to win.

And if neither does, it can't actually move, so I can fly away.  I'm sure the slimes will finish if off if they have to.  Assuming they can damage the tree at all.

Squack at the tree from a distance, until it lands or my claws regrow.  Then dive into the fight!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2023, 07:54:01 pm by Devastator »

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: September 17, 2023, 11:37:57 pm »

Azarian gathered a few more of the healing sticks in his tendrils before going to regroup with Toc, feeling revitalized and eager to learn what the elders of the tribe had to share.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2023, 06:12:08 am by Dustan Hache »
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: September 18, 2023, 06:58:04 am »

Feeling back in his preferred mode of diplomacy (cashing in favors from holders of knowledge), Ulkas smiled.

”I am quite sure we could entertain your conditions in exchange for knowledge and services provided. Perhaps some not immediately, but we would be eager to cultivate our relationship further with time.”

Checking his companion and seeing her almost-content state, Ulkas weighted the benefits of remaining in this place for some hours. While it won’t let him internalize all bits of knowledge, it should give enough time to enhance knowledgebase. That and this medical facility hailing from ancient times could answer if they could improve themselves in some less obvious ways. Evolution was powerful, no doubt. But knowledge held a different yet similar power - to replicate or enhance.

As example, he did not sleep in a long while and did not feel the need to. But was that illusion of powerfulmind, overruling the body, or factual benefit of higher-stage Essence? Astrosa was in some ways less and more useful for measuring the effects, as despite her physical prowess, emotional turmoil sometimes had high and lows.

(And so, in entirely similar vein, my time to improve our chances comes again. I’m not quite certain benefits we could find here, but slips of knowledge reassure me it could aid us in some interesting ways.)

Agree to conditions and negotiate mutually beneficial deal. We do not want to remain here for long, but short stop won’t hurt, assuming Astrosa agrees.
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: September 18, 2023, 12:25:17 pm »

[These rolls... Nakéen, stop giving me your toughest battles.]

[Alrighty then... facing off with an undead giving me Eversor vibes while both me and Prias are at half mana... I don't like my odds here, but 'effing off ain't much of an option considering the circumstances either. But maybe I can still reveal some options or at least pull some shenaniganery...]

Eximius' voice entered Prias' ears, rather vexed, "... I should've kept my mouth shut. I clearly tempted fate with that 'confidence' talk."

Then, the weapon made himself audible to the Challenger, with a resigned sigh, "To the death, I suppose? Or would it be until one of us is no longer able to fight?" he offered, before continuing, "Though if it is a worthy battle that you seek, perhaps you could allow me and my wielder some time to prepare? Previous fights have drained us somewhat... wouldn't it be a shame if we were unable to perform to our utmost?"

Talking ho! Play for time! Use every bit gained to try to replenish our mana reserves and hopefully find some weaknesses or flaws we could exploit. inb4 talking it out is an actual option here

If it comes to blows, general plan is as follows: Begin with a Manaburn Wave - mostly to check if the undead has some magic tricks and to gauge its RES - the fog he's emitting may be just fluff, but I'm suspicious of it.

Then, use Sever/Crush to hopefully rush him down, unless the Challenger's RES turns out to be a -1 (though I doubt it) in which case keep our distance and Mana Wave. Mana Shields to take some of the edge off of any attacks that make it through.

If health gets low, use the healing amulet we got from Veras.

Reserve some mana for a Blink or two (or an Accelerated Flow + Blink) should dying become a possibility. I don't mind playing dirty - getting enough distance to apply the potions we have or to outright leg it to Safara is an option I will unashamedly keep in reserve.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2023, 03:00:05 pm by Hawk132 »
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Monster - Turn 53
« Reply #1344 on: September 19, 2023, 02:01:15 am »

Update 53:

Caar, the Large Raven  - (Crystalizedmire)
Hopefully, the mages aren't here yet
Peck at hawk#1
(thanks for updating my skills and traits affect!)

[Caar: Peck]
Caar Attack Roll: 7=[3]+4
Hawk#1 Defence Roll: 6=[4]+2
[Successful Attack]
Damage (1d6): [3]

You swooped in and viciously pecked at one of the hawks, tearing feathers with a chunk of bloody flesh.

[White Hawks: Talons]
Hawk#1 Attack Roll: 5=[4]+1
Caar Defence Roll: 10=[8]+2
Hawk#2 Attack Roll: 2=[1]+1
Caar Defence Roll: 4=[2]+2
[Failed Attacks]
[White Hawks open for a Counterattack (+2)]

You retreated behind your loyal ravens, leaving them to be torn apart in your place by the hawks.

[Wolf Bird (Luck)]: [3] -Passable-
You heard a howl replying to your call. Wolves will appear in the next turn, though what they will be able to do against flying hawks is left to your imagination.

[Hawk Masters (Luck)]: [6] -Overshoot-
Figures emerged from the forest. Three new hawks of the accursed mages! Curiously, they seemed to be fleeing something? Suddenly one of them disappeared in a puff of blood and feathers as a massive claw swiped it off the face of the earth. Right behind them was a massive beast covered with sigils and chains, a massive collar of steel pending around its neck. It was nearly as tall as a tree and covered with black fur with streak of red, its bloodthirsty gaze looking for preys. Even worse, it was flying, as attested the two green bat-like muscular wings on its back.

Nearby creatures:
- White Hawk Familiar [Hostile]
-> Hawk#1 (-3HP)
-> Hawk#2
-> Hawk#3
-> Hawk#4
- Out-of-control Sigiled Chimera [Hostile / Very Dangerous]

Spoiler: Caar Status (click to show/hide)

Kori, the Elemental Spirit of Ice  - (TricMagic)
... Time moves on, even in this cold pace. My knowledge is outdated, and the wolf has fallen?

Not good, not good at all. I can't hunt under these conditions. And that thing, prideful. It won't stop.. Can't even tell it's power.

The winds continue to blow as she thinks.

"I need allies." she realizes. On her own she's no more than food. Despite once treating other sprites as such to evolve. "I think that big golem is the other, but they don't like me. Then again I've changed since then. The only other option is that risen spirit for protection. Still, I need to hurry."

Switch out of mist form, double-time back to the flower fields to gather information and spread the word. Keep the snow going but add Antarctic Wind to give some more speed. A tailwind behind her rather than a damaging spell is the idea.

Mist Form deactivated
-1MP from Active Snowstorm
-1MP from speed-boost Antarctic Wind

Pondering the new situation, you decided to head for the ice flower field you had rested in some time ago using your Antarctic Wind to give yourself a boost in speed. There you found peaceful creatures of the ice, from magical beasts to spirits of nature. You asked for the state of the affairs between the four beasts.

You learnt disturbing news. The old master of the forest, which was referred as the White Fang, had at first been pushed back by the White Golem. The three remaining challengers then fought and skirmished for a while, and it seemed none could gain the upper hand. That is until the White Fang returned from its short exile, stronger and changed. Rumors in the wind tell the White Fang made a pact with a power of the outside. With this newfound power, the White Fang defeated the three challengers, who then decided to join forces to push back against the Fang.

Now, the forest was split into four unstable territories. The White Fang controlled the northern half of it, with the southern half loosely shared by the three challengers. The area you were in was under the control of the Ice Sword Spirit, whose presence had started to attract wraiths from neighbouring regions.

(As they told you all this, you also learnt that the warrior spirit was called the Ice Sword Spirit, and the last creature was called the Broken Fang from the South.)

Looking for allies: [4] -Good-
Your rallying call didn't fall to deaf ears. Carried by the little sprites, two messages arrived to you. One came from a group of ice spirits whose home was destroyed by the clash between the Challengers and the Fang. The other came from the Ice Sword Spirit. Both wanted to meet you.

Spoiler: Spirit of Ice Status (click to show/hide)

Squacks the Carrion Bird - (Devastator)
That's good.  If they don't do things with whatever that weird stuff is, they might be good to bring to the island.  It'll be good to save them.

As for the fight.. I'm fine if my claws regrow, or if I figure out how to fight better in all these branches.  If either of those happens, I should be able to win.

And if neither does, it can't actually move, so I can fly away.  I'm sure the slimes will finish if off if they have to.  Assuming they can damage the tree at all.

Squack at the tree from a distance, until it lands or my claws regrow.  Then dive into the fight!

With the slimes covering the ground, you had no problem manoeuvering under the range of the tree. Unable to hit you, and without the help of its vinelings, you slowly carved it to death with one or two more strikes. And there it was, the reviled power of gold that was changing the world... you rejected it, these wisps of might trying to join the one who defeated their previous master. Unable to find a host, they returned to the world.

Once that was said and done, the Slimes gathered around the dead tree, gorging themselves on its sap. When they had finished draining a section, they slowly ate at the trunk leaving nothing to waste.

Nearby monsters:
-At least two "Tentacle Trees"
> Tree #1 [-25HP] Dead
[HP? MP? STR2 CON4 POW? RES? INT? IND?]
[Some dendritic creature that is, well, a huge and venerable tree with an arsenal of vicious vines at its disposal. Immobile but dangerous nonetheless, it seems to have some close relationship with the bark/vine spawns.]

-No more "bark spawns?" Vinelings
[Creatures of bark and vines with a close relationship with the "tentacle trees". Innately adept at tridimensional movement in the dense and treacherous jungle.]

-A group of coloured slimes
[Slimes, seemingly featureless bar their many individual colours.]

Spoiler: Squacks Status (click to show/hide)

Azarian, the Imbued Thoughtling (Dustan Hache)
Azarian gathered a few more of the healing sticks in his tendrils before going to regroup with Toc, feeling revitalized and eager to learn what the elders of the tribe had to share.

You pocketed a few of these branches with medicinal properties. That could come in handy.
6 healing branches acquired
Branches from the Friwispea brush. Possesses healing properties which can be used during a rest to fully restore your HP. The sap is sticky.

You arrived at the Goblin Village, where fear had turned into fear mixed with awe as Toc told them how you defeated valiantly a two-headed great wolf the size of a boulder (mild exaggeration). Rather than avoid you, they were now gathering around, maybe hoping that they could understand the secret of your strength by gazing at you.

A short time passed, and you were led up a tree, into a hut made of stick and mud surprisingly held together despite the crude work. A wrinkly goblin white like chalk was waiting you, lying on the side with a healing stick stuck up in his behind. So that was how they used it, hmm. He spoke way more articulately than the goblins whose proficiency in the monster tongue was... crude.

"Red thing. Thank you for your help. I am Tacataca the chief. What is your name? Why do you help goblins?"

Nearby Beings:
- Toc the Teal Goblin

Spoiler: Azarian's Status (click to show/hide)

Ulkas, the Horned Demon (Sarrak)
Feeling back in his preferred mode of diplomacy (cashing in favors from holders of knowledge), Ulkas smiled.

”I am quite sure we could entertain your conditions in exchange for knowledge and services provided. Perhaps some not immediately, but we would be eager to cultivate our relationship further with time.”

Checking his companion and seeing her almost-content state, Ulkas weighted the benefits of remaining in this place for some hours. While it won’t let him internalize all bits of knowledge, it should give enough time to enhance knowledgebase. That and this medical facility hailing from ancient times could answer if they could improve themselves in some less obvious ways. Evolution was powerful, no doubt. But knowledge held a different yet similar power - to replicate or enhance.

As example, he did not sleep in a long while and did not feel the need to. But was that illusion of powerfulmind, overruling the body, or factual benefit of higher-stage Essence? Astrosa was in some ways less and more useful for measuring the effects, as despite her physical prowess, emotional turmoil sometimes had high and lows.

(And so, in entirely similar vein, my time to improve our chances comes again. I’m not quite certain benefits we could find here, but slips of knowledge reassure me it could aid us in some interesting ways.)

Agree to conditions and negotiate mutually beneficial deal. We do not want to remain here for long, but short stop won’t hurt, assuming Astrosa agrees.

Astrosa passively replied.
(Mm-mm. I can wait a day.)

With her approval, you went on to negotiate favorable agreements with Endorfos. Although with your position and the gratitude they had toward you, these were more listing rewards while clarifying how to maintain a cordial relationship with them than negotiations proper.

"Once again, we thank you for your help. This partnership is bound to be beneficial, for the both of us. You have been registered in Endorfos as special guests, granting you access to our entire medical facilities, as well as the secure research sector. As per our agreement, we ask that you do not disturb the dormant patients under our care. We will provide support to the best of our abilities, so long as they fit with the missions of Endorfos."

In the meantime, the voice had manifested itself a body in the form of a floating egg-shaped being of chrome. At some point they had asked if you would be opposed to a quick health check-up of the two of you, as a way for them to ascertain the physical condition of the inhabitants of the new world. After confirming it wouldn't take long, you accepted.

You had to be put to sleep for a short while. A while too long, as even after being certain of their intentions, your instinct as a demon told you not to enter a state of incapacitation in the presence of others. Fortunately, Astrosa was there to watch over you. Without her nearby, you would never have agreed to this, no matter how much you trusted them. It was, of course, the same for Astrosa.

You slept first. Then came Astrosa. It only took an hour at most, and it was over.
"We thank you for your contribution of valuable data. Patients Ulkas and Astrosa, soul stages six. Your physical condition is excellent, although some more musculature would improve your long-term health mister Ulkas. Your soul condition is interesting to us, it shows signs of adaptation to an ichor-deprived environment, and a stronger soul coherence than your stage would suggest. It is still incomplete, however, but you seem to be undergoing the restructuration process at a healthy pace."

The floating egg blinked cheerfully.
"If you were to be interested, we have selected physical and magical reeducation programs that would help you improve your current abilities. For miss Astrosa, our physical reeducation area should provide an adequate environment to synchronize with your activating Arma: renowned athletes and champions of our time would vouch for it were they present. For mister Ulkas, our magical reeducation area will improve your magical dexterity and mental flexibility. Whichever you choose, we will be sure to provide professional support."

The Endorfos facilities may be used to Train Attributes or relevant Skills.

(Apologies for interrupting you Ulkas. Xatares has finished analyzing another nearby beacon, and would like for us to reactivate this place next. This particular facility will ensure the lasting facility of the budding network against hostile incursions. Of course, you are free to refuse as per the terms of our partnership.)

Spoiler: Ulkas Status (click to show/hide)

Eximius Res, the Rusty Ring (Hawk132)
[These rolls... Nakéen, stop giving me your toughest battles.]

[Alrighty then... facing off with an undead giving me Eversor vibes while both me and Prias are at half mana... I don't like my odds here, but 'effing off ain't much of an option considering the circumstances either. But maybe I can still reveal some options or at least pull some shenaniganery...]

Eximius' voice entered Prias' ears, rather vexed, "... I should've kept my mouth shut. I clearly tempted fate with that 'confidence' talk."

Then, the weapon made himself audible to the Challenger, with a resigned sigh, "To the death, I suppose? Or would it be until one of us is no longer able to fight?" he offered, before continuing, "Though if it is a worthy battle that you seek, perhaps you could allow me and my wielder some time to prepare? Previous fights have drained us somewhat... wouldn't it be a shame if we were unable to perform to our utmost?"

Talking ho! Play for time! Use every bit gained to try to replenish our mana reserves and hopefully find some weaknesses or flaws we could exploit. inb4 talking it out is an actual option here

If it comes to blows, general plan is as follows: Begin with a Manaburn Wave - mostly to check if the undead has some magic tricks and to gauge its RES - the fog he's emitting may be just fluff, but I'm suspicious of it.

Then, use Sever/Crush to hopefully rush him down, unless the Challenger's RES turns out to be a -1 (though I doubt it) in which case keep our distance and Mana Wave. Mana Shields to take some of the edge off of any attacks that make it through.

If health gets low, use the healing amulet we got from Veras.

Reserve some mana for a Blink or two (or an Accelerated Flow + Blink) should dying become a possibility. I don't mind playing dirty - getting enough distance to apply the potions we have or to outright leg it to Safara is an option I will unashamedly keep in reserve.

"A living weapon? Interesting. Had I not been out of time, I would have considered your proposal. Even wounded, a warrior is a warrior."

Its eyesockets glinted, and there was violent burst of killing intent. Prias subconsciously activated every abilities at his disposal.

Prias activated Limiter Release (STR +2, CON+2).
Prias activated Accelerated Flow (Medium Advantage +2).
-1HP
Prias casts Mana Shield (+1 Armor). -2MP

You shouted at Prias to dodge as the shadow of the mace was descending on you.

[Challenger: Shattering Blow]
Attack Roll: 10=[5]+5
Defender Roll: 13=[7]+6
[Failed Attack]
Hawk-eyed: [2] -Failure-
[Undead open for a Counterattack]

Prias narrowly leapt sideway a blow with such force he could feel the displaced wind sucking him toward the mace.

Prias improvisation: [5] -Critical Success-

You sensed Prias prepare a Mana Burn Wave- no. Something was different. The mana was condensed extremely within yourself, to such an extent it could not be fired. It formed a thin, incredibly sharp aura of flaming mana extending along your sheen.
3HP lost due to Limiter Release
6MP lost due to Manaburn Slash

[Prias: Manaburn Slash]
Attack Roll: 26=[20]+6
Defender Roll: 21=[14]+9
[Successful Attack]
Damage (2d6): [6]
Condition: Mana Burn [Medium Disadvantage to Spells (-2)]
Skill [Slaying] activated: +2 to future attacks

Prias brought down this improvised attack on the undead warrior, who failed to dodge in time. The flaming mana slashed where your blade could not, inflicting lasting damage on your opponent. Still staggering under the blow, he was open to another attack.

"Ghh! Outstanding."

3HP lost due to Limiter Release
[Prias: Sever]
Attack Roll: 26=[18]+8
Defender Roll: 25=[20]+5
[Successful Attack]
Damage (1d6): [4]
Hawk-eyed: [3] -Passable-

Prias struck again, and immediately after created some distance between him and the Undead who had recovered from his stagger. He barely seemed affected by your host incredible assault, though maybe that should have been expected from such an undead.

"Hmm. Your name, brave warrior."

You sensed unlife force and mana gathering around its mace. Prias didn't respond, saving his laboring breath.

(Can we win Eximius?)

Nearby Monsters:
- !!Lost Nepkeros Champion!! [Mana Burn (-2 to Spells)]
[HP?-10 MP? STR6 CON5 POW? RES2 INT? IND?]
[A towering armour wielding a colossal mace as tall as itself. The metal had a rotten appearance, as if undeath itself had managed to seep into it, and large sections even had a semi-organic look to them. Its face helmet is morphed in the likeness of a skeletal face with razor-sharp teeth.]

Spoiler: Eximius Res Status (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2023, 05:46:14 am by Nakéen »

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: September 19, 2023, 02:02:12 am »

(Seriously. Prias was incredible this turn, when I saw the rolls it was as if I could see the fight. Will that be enough though?...)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: September 19, 2023, 04:31:17 am »

(I think this bit might be a good time for a mini timeskip of sorts, say a few days for Squacks?)

That's an interesting way to look at it.  "these wisps of might trying to join the one who defeated their previous master."  I wonder if that's really what's going on?

There's a few things that I'd like to do now.  (OOC, this is what I'm expecting from it.)

Make a proper agreement with these slimes.  They're cool and I'm okay with helping them kill a few trees.  I do want to try and carry a couple of them over to the island.. if they agree with it.  To make things simple, the island is "Exile Island."

(Squacks isn't the best talker, but he needs practice, and organizing and cooperating with these slimes should help.  I also don't know if Squacks is strong enough to actually carry a slime on a stick over to the island, while flying.  Colonizing the island is to help preserve another group of low-tier or non essence creatures.

It could also be some more experience towards reaching normal intelligence.)

Second, lets get some magic practice in.  I need to go underwater to find out what's down below Exile Island.  There's also a lot of really dangerous river and water monsters.  There's no reasonable way that a carrion bird can fly underwater without using some kind of magic.

So use the two Spell Resistance spells a lot, maybe against one of the slimes if one of them has magic.  Try to figure out more about magic.

(I'm not expecting any reasonable chance of learning some kinda bubble spell to protect against water, but the only options are 'learn this strange, new magic' or 'evolve again'.  Squacks has a problem and should attempt to solve it without evolving, even though I suspect it'll be necessary.)

Scout the area to find out about oncoming threats.  The dangerous scout monster made it obvious that worse stuff is coming.  Lets see if I can get some warning before they hit here, so I can get set up.

(Giving orders or preparing an ambush or something with the slimes would help.  That scout was also really, really scary.  If Squacks successfully spots a huge incoming threat, it's gonna be necessary to evolve once more to meet it.  So kill a tree or two, fill up on essence, and be ready to evolve mid-combat or between combats for an instant-heal.)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2023, 04:47:53 am by Devastator »

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: September 19, 2023, 02:37:29 pm »

[That's a scary stat block...]

Quote from: Prias
(Can we win Eximius?)
(I do not know... For now, focus on surviving, rather than winning, Prias. Think you can pull off that trick you did again? His armor is too strong for simple physical strikes, but if you channel and condense Mana Waves within me like you did just now, we might do some damage.)

Battle plan: Similar as before. HP's a bit low, so gonna use the healing amulet. Mana Shield for blocking. Attack with Manaburn Slashes, provide Prias with MP as necessary. (or just Mana Slashes, if Prias can do those and if they'd be cheaper)
Try to keep MP in reserve for a Blink, skipping the Mana Shield to do so if needed.

But before that...

Quote from: Nepkeros Champion
"Hmm. Your name, brave warrior."
Eximius' voice echoed forth in Prias' stead, "My wielder, a fledgling Hero, is named Prias. And I, his fated weapon, am Eximius Res. What is yours, champion?"

After presumably learning their name the weapon continues, "You say you're running out of time... You must've 'lived' for a long time, then. I think I understand now - by killing, you're trying to stave off True Death, if for a relative moment... is that it? But how long can you delay it, in this Deadland?"

"Perhaps there is another way for this to end?"
he asks, before continuing, "A warrior like you should be to feel just how much potential my wielder possesses... Rather than smothering it, perhaps I could convince you to unearth it instead? To pass your legacy as a warrior, bequeath your ambitions - onto him?"

Talking ho?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2023, 02:41:53 pm by Hawk132 »
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: September 19, 2023, 02:48:34 pm »

Eximius' voice echoed forth in Prias' stead, "My wielder, a fledgling Hero, is named Prias. And I, his fated weapon, am Eximius Res. What is yours, champion?"

After presumably learning their name the weapon continues, "You say you're running out of time... You must've 'lived' for a long time, then. I think I understand now - by killing, you're trying to stave off True Death, if for a relative moment... is that it? But how long can you delay it, in this Deadland?"

"Perhaps there is another way for this to end?"
he asks, before continuing, "A warrior like you should be to feel just how much potential my wielder possesses... Rather than smothering it, perhaps I could convince you to unearth more of it instead? To pass your legacy as a warrior, bequeath your ambitions - onto him?"

Talking ho?

The champion entertained your talk. After all, talking is a mostly free action.
"Apologies. For my name has been lost to time's erosion on my mind. Prias... and Eximius Res... names worth remembering."

Parley Luck [2] -Failure-

Your offer to find another was met with rejection.
"Nay. This drive is all I have left: one more fight, one more day. While I can still think. I will not- cannot stop. Put me to rest if you can, while I can still think and fight."

Crystalizedmire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: September 19, 2023, 03:11:38 pm »

Too bad it isn't terrorizing the humans. Unless...
Fly to the nearest human settlement(either east or west from here)
she/her
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 99