Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 91

Author Topic: Stardew Valley - Harvest Moon type game for PC  (Read 432230 times)

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
Re: Stardew Valley - Harvest Moon type game for PC
« Reply #1290 on: August 04, 2018, 10:03:26 am »

H-how scandalous!
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: August 04, 2018, 06:01:07 pm »

Having great fun with this playing with gf! Fun to be back given that I rushed the hell out of this on release.  :P
Still get some occasional crashes/freezes, only suggestion I have atm is to avoid harvesting stuff (specially Trellis-grown stuff like Beans) with a sword in your hand, my character froze in place and I was forced to close the game.

Other than that..only wish we could tune how fast time goes by, only because sometimes it feels like too much rush without much time to 'smell the roses'. But that's probably only a issue to me, used to the singleplayer and maximizing every day. :P
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: August 04, 2018, 07:14:23 pm »

Yeah, given how much faster time ends up going due to none of the traditional mini-pauses taking effect, I've actually wondered if it wouldn't be better for multiplayer days to potentially just progress a little more slowly.

Ran into a bug where blocking with a sword and holding down a movement key let me slide around with sword sassily held high and feet just gliding motionlessly above the ground. Unfortunately I haven't been able to reproduce it...

Fun times with GF have been a teensy bit hit and miss, as she has on a couple occasions spent all of our money on decorations that not only don't provide any benefit (even aesthetically, half of them are just locked up in chests), but half the time actually prevent me from getting where I need to go. I've had to take a lot of impromptu detours getting around the farm thanks to decorative fences that... Serve no purpose. Other than to irritate me, apparently.

Also I'm still designated fishboy, since no one else wants to do it. I ended up paying for most of the crops we've planted through fishing, but now after some pickling barrels have been set up and the first few batches of blueberries, then later cranberries (at my insistence that, yes, cranberries make a good fall crop) started rolling in. Only trouble is trying to keep my bait and tackle supplies up. Might have to take up another niche to support the farm at large, as the fishing isn't really paying off at the moment outside of filling out bundles.

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: August 05, 2018, 11:12:59 am »

Fun times with GF have been a teensy bit hit and miss, as she has on a couple occasions spent all of our money on decorations that not only don't provide any benefit (even aesthetically, half of them are just locked up in chests), but half the time actually prevent me from getting where I need to go. I've had to take a lot of impromptu detours getting around the farm thanks to decorative fences that... Serve no purpose. Other than to irritate me, apparently.

Pay her back by marrying her sister, obviously

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: August 05, 2018, 04:01:33 pm »

Marrying someone else is indeed a valid payback plan!

One thing I must say though, when I first played Stardew Valley on its release and finished it on week one and all that, I wasn't expecting at all that mods would be made for it. Back then I had only heard about the "Marry Robin" mod, so I felt like simple edits / "unlocks" would be available. But there's even a Nexus page for SV with lots of interesting, neat stuff! The simple QoL or mods that make the game a lil bit more dynamic/responsive (like a mod that makes people that see you gifting other people like you a lil bit more, or when you help/marry/gift a person, their family likes you a bit more) are ones I'd definitely be running if solo.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: August 05, 2018, 05:23:46 pm »

Time has come to my aid, and the fences have mostly all rotted away, while GF has either been too busy with other things or just hasn't cared enough to replace them, which is nice. Also I have a horse now, so it's even harder (but faster) to get around.

Y'know, funny thing... The forest farm has remarkably few actual trees on it. I remember on my solo playthrough that half of the farm just turned into this overgrown jungle that I'd have to spend several days clearing out, with mass quantities of wood resulting from the endeavor. Here, you've just got the respawning hardwood stumps and then a bunch of wall-trees, which of course don't provide any actual wood.

Fishing is getting less and less profitable, and now we've both taken the rancher profession. She doesn't even know about the brokenness of artisan, I just didn't really want to have to cart all the goods to Pierre by hand by taking it. The idea now, which she probably isn't aware of, is that each of us will take one end of the rancher line and assume care of all the coop/barn animals respectively.

Partway through winter of year 1 now, and hoo boy, time does fly when it doesn't autopause... Not a whole heck of a lot of progress has been made. I've got a steel pickaxe, which is my sole upgraded tool aside from the iridium fishing rodn(I upgraded my watering can to copper, but then traded it for GF's un-upgraded one because she was doing most of the watering). GF has steel axe, (my) copper watering can, and is working on a steel pickaxe. No idea on whether or not the hoe has been upgraded yet, but the ho said she was working on it. There are a few preserve jars set up (about 6-7 or so), but no kegs, and we've juuust finished the barn off and gotten a couple moos.

Despite fish in and of themselves not being very lucrative (the pricier cave fish are sullied by the hideous amount of algae growing in those lakes), the treasures have been a great boon in providing rare materials and gifting opportunities. I've finally gotten the Pirate profession now, so they're popping up a lot more often. I just need to be able to actually snag the chests, heh (damn lingcod)...

Neither mining or combat seem like they'd really be able to do much of anything to compete with even just the small scale farming we've been doing, so not sure what I'm gonna get up to next. I'd take over farming duties on something or other, but my GF fiercely defends sole harvesting/milking/egg-plucking/petting rights, so I'm not sure I'd really be able to muscle in on that. Also really don't know what I'll end up upgrading next. Pickaxe seems a little superfluous, but I'm not using anything else. Possibly hoe, if only just to dig up more turf in the mines and around town or such. Bizarrely low on copper, of all things... But making trips to the early levels of the mines is all well and good anyways, despite how infrequently I remember to actually do so, as bug meat is always in high demand what with my fishing addiction.

EDIT: Halfway through winter, we're still just barely making ends meet. I had a bit of a mid-game crisis and decided to hook the glacierfish and mutant carp rather than do anything particularly useful (aside from clearing things out down to level 120 in the mines), and my girlfriend has apparently forgotten that she took rancher, but at least we can reroll nowadays.

I think she might also have gotten to fishing 5 (she gets moments where she'll put off doing useful things in order to "practice and train it up a bit", despite my having that field well under control specifically so she can focus on other things... Ah well) and took the angler perk, alongside my own angler perk... Which, while not helping diversity at all and not allowing us to really branch out into crab pots (which she's much better suited for, as it does not involve any actual fishing), does at least mean that I don't have to walk all the way down to Willy's in order to sell my fishy wares for top price.

Trying to upgrade tools in preparation for spring, but we don't reeeaaally have the cash to burn on gold upgrades, and of course there's no coordination in getting a full set ready. So, spring year 2 will probably be met with, at best, a silver hoe and two silver watering cans.

Also I missed Caroline's birthday, despite having a fishing diamond set aside for her. Poor thing, she's barely gotten any attention all year.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: December 23, 2020, 06:33:18 am »

Stardew Valley 1.5 patch is out :o and it is massive. Beach farm ftw

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: December 23, 2020, 07:22:29 am »

I am, yet again, in awe of the love and dedication being shown to this game after all this time. 'Tis a beautiful thing, and I'm actually kinda-sorta not going to immediately dig through the update changes to spoil everything for myself.

And now I don't have that hilarious co-op farm fiasco to deal with either, so  :P

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: December 23, 2020, 11:22:56 am »

Welp, guess I need to start a beach farm, now.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: December 23, 2020, 11:29:49 am »

IDK, I was turned off of beach farms by the "sprinklers don't work on sand" part. I am a very lazy farmer. I just went with another river farm so my ducks can swim but I can still install sprinklers...

ventuswings

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: December 23, 2020, 04:36:29 pm »

Beach farm seems like good opportunity to restart my game, just need to wait a bit for some mods to update before actually doing so. Feels like Rimworld 1.1 all over again :P

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: December 25, 2020, 04:55:33 pm »

"sprinklers don't work on sand" part
What blasphemy is this

I just started a new beach farm to check it out, but if I can't automate the watering it's unlikely I'll continue it for long. Random beach crates don't sound like they'll make up for the hassle.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: December 25, 2020, 05:42:25 pm »

Well, there is a chunk of normal dirt on your farm as well. It just means you won't be doing as much crop farming. The ability to fish up ocean fish and forage-ables is kinda neat, at least. The random crates are definitely a nice little random touch but not more than that.

Although it does seem odd to me that sprinklers would be the one thing you can't really do on sand. Maybe they'll change that.

It may mean it's more of a 'I don't really care about farming' kinda farm. Which is definitely a play style for some people.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: December 25, 2020, 07:07:32 pm »

hassle.

BITCH I'M GUYBRUSH THREEPWOOD, MIGHTY PIRATE.
YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID.

That said, remember some of the things you CAN do without sprinklers:
  • Build a greenhouse
  • Ducks
  • Place loads of sheds for kegging purposes
  • Seriously, so many fuckin' ducks
  • Orchard trees
  • The ducks can even swim now
  • Pigs and truffles too, I guess...
  • Cheese
  • Slime hutches are also a thing!
  • All the crab pots
  • (if you hate life)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: January 25, 2021, 12:33:04 am »

Beach is top-tier because it's "I've mastered the game as it stood.  I can optimize the plot."
"But what if it was all sand in my hand?  ... Existing only by my grace, as I either water it, or travel half an hour down to it."

I'm loving this new update!  Had fun with some friends multiplayer, too.  They chose the 4-farm naturally, as you you do, then negotiated over special projects.  As if there was a dearth of space.

I am enjoying playing the beach "farm" in the year's release.  I just hit winter of year 2 and I'm sure I will be judged well, but I'm using this winter to catch up to the people I... didn't value as much.  I played naturally, and now I offer amends to the ones I disregarded.

The notes tell how to reach most people, but not all of them.  But almost everyone likes a home-cooked meal, and that's enough.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 91