Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Heavenly Tower? Tower of the Sky?  (Read 7009 times)

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Heavenly Tower? Tower of the Sky?
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2009, 11:10:14 pm »

Although since having one right there from the beginning would be easy access to the sky, maybe it shouldn't be common.

And the liquid should probably be greenish, and ooze rather than flow.
Beanstalks should be rare and should flow water out, not ooze as its still water and is on the way to supply the beanstalk with water...

They should DEFINITLY be able to be lit on fire :D.
Armok bless the imp who fires a stray fireball at the base of the beanstalk.
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2009, 11:13:38 pm »

Ok, now I have to ask.

Are people joking about the Beanstalks or is this conversation about heavenly bodies somehow embedded in a Fairy Tale about some kid who sells his only means of food for a powerful artifact, climbs for several days, steals rare artifacts from an innocent bystander, kills his wife, and then kills him. (though sometimes the order changes)

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2009, 11:34:07 pm »

Its a dwarven bedtime story.

There once was a dwarf called urist mcgeneric...
--
yada yada yada
--
An he set alight the beanstalk with the blood of armok! (magma)
And the cyclops burned and fell to the earth.
And armoks vengance was finally fufilled...
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2009, 01:43:10 am »

Ok, now I have to ask.

Are people joking about the Beanstalks or is this conversation about heavenly bodies somehow embedded in a Fairy Tale about some kid who sells his only means of food for a powerful artifact, climbs for several days, steals rare artifacts from an innocent bystander, kills his wife, and then kills him. (though sometimes the order changes)
Hey, a beanstalk was mentioned in the first post after all ^_^  I'm not a big fan of the whole celestial/angel thing... it seems more, say, dwarvish, to find giants living on clouds instead of sissy winged women who play harps for all eternity.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2009, 03:09:28 am »

*coug* the spheres *cough*
Not all or all happy go lucky...
Some are spheres of DESTRUCTION AND DEATH!
---

Winterbrass

• Bay Watcher
  • [HOMEOTHERM:10032]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2009, 03:24:47 am »

I think that it would be great Fun to have a mine-able stone/ore that was lighter than air and 'turbines' that were able to push air around in any direction. On supports, construct a fortress of the lighter-than-air stone/metal with enough windmills to power enough turbines to push the air down, and voila - floating fortress when the supports are removed.

Even in more mundane uses, the turbines could be used as wind-traps to push enemies into other traps.
[PANTS:ITEM_PANTS_PANTS:RARE]
[CAN_CIV][CAN_SPEAK]
[ETHIC:USE_MIND_ALTERING_SUBSTANCES:ACCEPTABLE]
[ETHIC:CAUSE_UNFUNNY_DRAMA:SHUN]
[ETHIC:PLAY_DF_AS_ELVES:UNTHINKABLE]

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2009, 07:40:48 am »

to find giants living on clouds instead of sissy winged women who play harps for all eternity

On the Contrary when I say heavenly body I picture something more like Valhalla or Asgard

Eihmarijar fighting eachother for eternity, frost giants, and Celestial battle maidens with the ability to take souls.

Or heck like Etheria from Kingsquest which is a wonderous place almost like a dream. Too bad nightmares stalk the land and even the winds swallow you up for sport.

If it is a place of Paradise it is only because it is linked to paradise.

BUT apperantly a land populated by Frost giants and beautiful Warrior Maidens of DEATH that you need to get to by a enchanted hazardous bridge crafted by the GODS is just the antithesis Dwarves. They would much more prefer lands with giant butterflies, flowers, carrots, chickens, harps, and 1-2 giants tops that they get to by climbing a green leafy above ground plant is just oozing with dwarven pride.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 08:00:01 am by Neonivek »

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2009, 06:20:29 pm »

oozing liquid? Eww, no! I mean WATER, flowing like a humble brook through a cliff.
Have you ever actually cut a plant open?  It's not water in there, it's plant juice.  In other words, a sticky mixture of water, cytoplasm, and various organelles - including those that store nutrients - of a type depending on which part of the plant you cut open (you'll get a lot of chloroplast, which, it should be noted, is green).  It'd probably taste very faintly sweet, actually.  Not as sweet as a bean or other seed-pod, though. On top of being viscous, it has to come through fairly small "gates" that connect all the cells in the plants.  And dwarves would probably both try and succeed in brewing it into alcohol.  Can you do that with water? ;)

So the DF representation should simulate this in an appropriate manner - by being a slow-flowing, green liquid.  And I don't know where this idea that you wouldn't be able to drink it was suggested.

But this is all assuming bean stalks are the way to get up there.

They would much more prefer lands with giant butterflies, flowers, carrots, chickens, harps, and 1-2 giants tops that they get to by climbing a green leafy above ground plant is just oozing with dwarven pride.
Aside from the beanstalk, who even mentioned any of that?  Besides, dwarves aren't the only race in the game, and even then cultures are going to become more emergent rather than being fixed to each race.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 06:22:10 pm by LegoLord »
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2009, 09:04:55 pm »

I was linking it to what someone said earlier that "Jack and the Beaststalk" was a lot more Dwarvenly then the ideas I pitched earlier Legolord.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2009, 09:07:25 pm »

Well it does have a kid killing a giant with nothing more than a small ax by chopping down a giant plant.

In some versions.  That's the one I grew up with, and only recently had I heard any others.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2009, 09:11:09 pm »

Other versions include quite a few other details.

In most he at least steals the Giant's Golden Chicken and Golden Harp

In the more rare versions he kills the Giant's Wife

Some also have some focus on the surroundings before he enters the Giant's castle/house

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2009, 10:35:06 pm »

Beanstalks... Pah...

Dwarven Engineering.. ->

Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

waldo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2009, 03:03:43 am »

idk implementing space would take a long time, you'd have to make air basically and then have the ability to notice when the air is absent, not to mention fans, pumps, pullys, ropes, and all powered with the dwarven free energy well...
also picking and choosing makes for a hilarious situation when you embark without any land.
"you have arrived at free space, strike the earth!"
"your dwarves all plummeted to their death. their pets too."
"urist mcdwarf is throwing a tantrum."
"the fortress is destroyed."

also possibly equally amusing is embarking with one square of land.
the way that i see it is that once you get past the soft fluffy part of the cloud there is a harder more malleable material that can support your dwarves, with the in between being the plantable ones, and the dwarves could all go blind from being so close to the sun...

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2009, 03:40:32 am »

I've actually got an interest in this idea.

Personally, I think it'd be interesting, if the floating lands/Castles/Mountains were supported by a magical stone/gem layer that keeps it afloat, which then could be mined out, and totally crash the floating lands? I dunno how that would be any different than cave ins now. Plus it'd be pretty cool.

Also, I think that the gods should be materialized, that way, It'd appeal to my adventurer side, and want to try and take a band of heroes to conquer the gods. o:

"Tell me about your family?"
God remains silent.
"Fine. Time to die!"

I dunno. I just think that'd be a sweet idea.
Lisidadil - A story of one of my first forts.

The continual tale of survival in a harsh land of hate, Fun, betrayal, love, and maybe a random elf or two... If we're unlucky.

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2009, 04:03:17 am »

I've actually got an interest in this idea.

Personally, I think it'd be interesting, if the floating lands/Castles/Mountains were supported by a magical stone/gem layer that keeps it afloat, which then could be mined out, and totally crash the floating lands? I dunno how that would be any different than cave ins now. Plus it'd be pretty cool.

Also, I think that the gods should be materialized, that way, It'd appeal to my adventurer side, and want to try and take a band of heroes to conquer the gods. o:

"Tell me about your family?"
God remains silent.
"Fine. Time to die!"

I dunno. I just think that'd be a sweet idea.

Why would a god need a cloud to fly....  Not very omnipotent..

Crashing a cloud realm into the face of the earth would be fun.  However... I cannot immagine any fortress would be buried deep enough to survive the impact... even assuming significant lift remained it would still accelerate to catastrophic proportions.   Course it should not fall straight down unless the mining was heavily symmetrical.
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4