Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 529 530 [531] 532 533 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 944105 times)

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - We have lift off.
« Reply #7950 on: July 06, 2014, 11:10:27 am »

Honestly I think why even the discussion about the dev team and their actions has bled into here is because of their overbearing censorship in any forum they have control over.  Seems they're spending more time these days doing damage control for their poor PR manager than actually doing anything of substance on the game, and any talk about how they respond to criticism, treat their customer base, lack of substantial updates, lack of substance in general, etc...in any medium they have a modicum of control of is inevitably met with massive thread locks and deletions as well as bans.

At least in here and other gaming forums they have no control over they can't send their cronies out to derail thread and flamebait people to make the excuse that it was necessary.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7951 on: July 06, 2014, 12:15:07 pm »

Ok guys, if y'all don't stop talking about the devs I'll take my ball and go home.

Srlsly, NO BALL FOR YOU!

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7952 on: July 06, 2014, 12:19:43 pm »

B-but...I love your ball!  :'(
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #7953 on: July 06, 2014, 12:27:24 pm »

Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7954 on: July 06, 2014, 01:14:18 pm »

So, I never played and advanced far enough to get into the whole wiring gig.  How deep/complex is it?  Does it give the potential for relatively vast and complicated traps-uh-I mean, constructions?  Or is it limited in scope (e.g. you can link one trigger-type object to one response-type object and that's it)?
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #7955 on: July 06, 2014, 01:19:44 pm »

It can get fudged across chunks, but you can do some fairly complex stuff with it in a much smaller area than other building games with stuff like that.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Something Evil

• Bay Watcher
  • Allignment: Neutral Predatory
    • View Profile
« Reply #7956 on: July 06, 2014, 01:35:48 pm »

And unlike Terraria, it doesn't need actual wire to make connections. It's fairly similar to Gunpoint's (Thanks, Darklingwolf, for the game's name) on a conceptual level.
Quote from: Vector
In a world with so many hydras, who am I to throw away my extra swords?
Quote from: Encased in burning magma
THIS UNDEAD THREAD SHALL BE WOVEN INTO UNDEAD SOCKS
Quote from: ragnarok97071
Hot Chocolate is like Dakka. You can never have enuff of it, and you should try not to drop it on your pants.
Quote from: Burnt Pies
Soon I shall be fluent in Box, including obscure dialects such as Pyramid, Sphere and Japanese.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7957 on: July 06, 2014, 02:47:45 pm »

monsters and NPC's are immune to any kind of trap you can make except the always-on gun turrets. Wiring can a) open doors and b) close doors.

Without mods, that's it.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7958 on: July 06, 2014, 03:15:58 pm »

monsters and NPC's are immune to any kind of trap you can make except the always-on gun turrets. Wiring can a) open doors and b) close doors.

Without mods, that's it.
2 years of development
._.

Something Evil

• Bay Watcher
  • Allignment: Neutral Predatory
    • View Profile
« Reply #7959 on: July 06, 2014, 05:18:13 pm »

I'm still annoyed about the traps not hurting mobs. Shouldn't be too hard to code it so that once they're picked up and placed by a person, they DO cause damage.

Dammit, I want an electric fence that works! I don't want to play Jurassic Park in space!
Worst thing is, in Terraria you can set up trap systems to, say, help beat the colossus or whatever it's called, farm the hardmode dungeon or help with the halloween thing. On the other hand, the Starbound devs do seem to hate passive farming with a raging passion, that being the sole reason the hunger system exists.

Without mods, that's it.

Lies! You can also turn lights on and off!
Quote from: Vector
In a world with so many hydras, who am I to throw away my extra swords?
Quote from: Encased in burning magma
THIS UNDEAD THREAD SHALL BE WOVEN INTO UNDEAD SOCKS
Quote from: ragnarok97071
Hot Chocolate is like Dakka. You can never have enuff of it, and you should try not to drop it on your pants.
Quote from: Burnt Pies
Soon I shall be fluent in Box, including obscure dialects such as Pyramid, Sphere and Japanese.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7960 on: July 06, 2014, 08:23:02 pm »

Without mods, that's it.
2 years of development

Hmm.
Redstone in Minecraft was introduced in... ALPHA 1.0.1. So, the second public release.
It was expanded upon to provide more functionality in Beta 1.3.
And even when it was first released, using funky workarounds to simulate boosters, repeaters and comparators you already could build complex machines with it, not just simple traps.

Wiring in Terraria showed up very early on too. The first public release, I think! Pressure plates, arrows triggered by them, levers, stuff like that.

How is it that wiring and electronics, such a fundamental part of these digmine games these days - i mean, all the big games have them! - is little more than a cursory nod at doors and NOTHING ELSE?

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7961 on: July 06, 2014, 08:34:59 pm »

2 years of development

Thats not really fair.

You can't go around and single out an individual feature (one thats not even a core part of the game) for not being developed enough, unless you think either that specific feature or every single feature in the game should have been expanded upon.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #7962 on: July 06, 2014, 08:35:59 pm »

Got a lava pit? You can open a trapdoor and send stuff in. Kill it dead. Or just trap it in a plain old pit and throw a grenade in. Minecraft doesn't have a lot of specialized gadgets to activate with redstone, any machines you build are all your own design from a small selection of components, mostly various flavors of opening/closing doors.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7963 on: July 06, 2014, 09:08:34 pm »

2 years of development

Thats not really fair.

You can't go around and single out an individual feature (one thats not even a core part of the game) for not being developed enough, unless you think either that specific feature or every single feature in the game should have been expanded upon.

Perhaps, but considering that there are virtually no major mechanics which could reasonably be called 'feature-complete', there is some validity to it.

That said, I do like how you can use wiring to lock doors, even if it does sort of defeat the point when anything you can use as a trigger is going to be fairly visible, and anyone with wire tools can (as per Terraria) instantly see the setup. That's one of the better aspects of Redstone in comparison to these, I think, is that the 3D player-world interface makes it much easier to deal with wiring sans 'wire-vision' tools that instantly reveal any potential tricks or traps to other players. That said, I do like the Starbound two-click connecting in some respects, though it also makes it more difficult to set up sequenced stuff.

But seriously, the point he made was good. Terraria had at least basic world-affecting wire-work in from very early on, and I think I agree that the distinct lack of player-made/placed traps is another part of the deliberate attempts on the part of CF to (for some ungodly reason) make the game have MMO levels of grind. That's the heart of it: options are good. Limiting player creativity to make it conform to the dev's vision of the game might fly when you're doing an artsy linear story, but sure as hell not when it's suppose to be an open-world sandbox.  :-X

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7964 on: July 06, 2014, 09:37:38 pm »

Well there have been switches and gates in the game files for several months. They just aren't implemented and don't do anything (again, unless you get a mod to fix and implement them). So it's yet another thing one of the devs worked on for a day, then saw something shiny and abandoned.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.
Pages: 1 ... 529 530 [531] 532 533 ... 565