Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9321 9322 [9323] 9324 9325 ... 10989

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13447802 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #139830 on: November 08, 2018, 07:48:11 am »

french people smell like salty crayons and manage to use three beds for two people

feel bad for whichever coming volunteer gets the bare comforter/mattress that the one gal is sweating crayon on

i need to lower my expectations for cleanliness or it's going to drive me mad and anger is exhausting i tell you. step in a bra someone's left on the ground, whatever, yesterday's lunch bowl left on the table for two days, nbd, plastic in the washer machine, that's just fine

let's just forget to do the trash every morning, too, but that's okay, because they're not 'morning people,' and it's really my fault for trying to talk to them in the morning

this
is
fine
Some people are just disgusting. I don't think it has to do necessarily with them being french.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139831 on: November 08, 2018, 08:10:30 am »

I mean every race has a different breed of rank sweat stank. I'd have said most Caucasians smell like batteries.

plastic in the washer machine, that's just fine
Ok so the other ones I get, but this one, what?
Check yo tupperware yo. Some say 'dishwasher safe'. Everything else is partially melting and scattering microplastics all over your utensils.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 08:15:58 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #139832 on: November 08, 2018, 08:27:30 am »

I think weird is right in that someone is just born ambidextrous and can’t be picked up, much like an ambidextrous person whose skills with their left hand were to degrade from a lack of usage still wouldn’t make them right handed.
This is completely, provably false. Handedness is more a matter of custom than anything else, I've found.

you can train your off-hand to [...] even turn on/off light switches on the first try.
Is... is that serious? Is that something people with one dominant hand really have trouble with? That sounds terrifying.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139833 on: November 08, 2018, 08:32:30 am »

Considering I never said such a thing...

What I did say, was that unless you can (also) write with your left hand, you are not truly ambidextrous.  EG, you have to be able to perform fine motor control as well with the left as with the right.

Like anything involving muscle and or body memory, you can attain it with practice.  Concert pianists are not born, they are trained.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #139834 on: November 08, 2018, 08:58:20 am »

you can train your off-hand to [...] even turn on/off light switches on the first try.
Is... is that serious? Is that something people with one dominant hand really have trouble with? That sounds terrifying.
Anyone who can't perform basic actions with their off-hand has a disability, not a dominant hand.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139835 on: November 08, 2018, 09:14:31 am »

So long as you got one strong hand.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139836 on: November 08, 2018, 09:15:55 am »

Handedness is at least partly genetic if we're taking it to mean someone's predilection for using one hand over another. Since, left to their own devices, most kids grow up using their dominant hand for more things, that can also give rise to handedness in the sense of a difference in dexterity between hands, although neurological differences remain even if differently trained.

Whether or not someone can train themselves to be ambidextrous, then, depends on whether we mean ambidextrous in a purely skill-based sense or if we're talking about the underlying neural architecture as well.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #139837 on: November 08, 2018, 09:49:04 am »

I heard a theory that handedness is connected to which half of th brain is dominant, and since we’re a left brained society, the right hand is naturally dominant. That doesn’t mean you can’t use your left hand, just that the right hand would come easier to you. However, some people have been which brain is on which side swapped, which leads to left handed people who seem right brained. The person who told me this (An occupational therapist, as it happens) mentioned that she thought she was brain side swapped since she was left handed, but since she was never going to have her brain scanned or cut open to find out, she’d never know.
Just some thoughts.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139838 on: November 08, 2018, 09:57:13 am »

I heard a theory that handedness is connected to which half of th brain is dominant, and since we’re a left brained society, the right hand is naturally dominant. That doesn’t mean you can’t use your left hand, just that the right hand would come easier to you. However, some people have been which brain is on which side swapped, which leads to left handed people who seem right brained. The person who told me this (An occupational therapist, as it happens) mentioned that she thought she was brain side swapped since she was left handed, but since she was never going to have her brain scanned or cut open to find out, she’d never know.
Just some thoughts.
That isn't how that works.

That isn't how any of that works.

First of all, "left-brained" and "right-brained" aren't really a thing. That's a myth. So the whole thing falls apart right out of the gate.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #139839 on: November 08, 2018, 09:58:00 am »

and since we’re a left brained society,

no more pop-sci for you

edit: ninjas

edit2: remember that movie with scarlett johannsen and morgan freeman where they said humans only use 3% of their brains or smt and some mad drugs made her use all her brains and then she ascended into some godlike being and turned into a flash drive?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 10:00:00 am by Caz »

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139840 on: November 08, 2018, 09:58:54 am »

The idea that the left hemisphere of the brain is logical while the right is creative is unsupported by evidence. While motor control is localized by hemisphere (to an extent, anyway), it's got nothing to do with society being "left brained."

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #139841 on: November 08, 2018, 10:46:13 am »

edit2: remember that movie with scarlett johannsen and morgan freeman where they said humans only use 3% of their brains or smt and some mad drugs made her use all her brains and then she ascended into some godlike being and turned into a flash drive?
But Einstein said that!!!! /s
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139842 on: November 08, 2018, 11:20:53 am »

I think weird is right in that someone is just born ambidextrous and can’t be picked up, much like an ambidextrous person whose skills with their left hand were to degrade from a lack of usage still wouldn’t make them right handed.
This is completely, provably false. Handedness is more a matter of custom than anything else, I've found.

I mean, people used to literally try to whip the left-handedness out of people in schools, and that didn’t take... so probably not that.

Considering I never said such a thing...

What I did say, was that unless you can (also) write with your left hand, you are not truly ambidextrous.  EG, you have to be able to perform fine motor control as well with the left as with the right.

Like anything involving muscle and or body memory, you can attain it with practice.  Concert pianists are not born, they are trained.
Wait, so a pianist is ambidextrous now? Someone who teaches themselves to write with their off-hand is ambidextrous?
But someone who teaches themselves to text with both hands isn’t?
Where’s the bar here, and why is a single skill per se which is the qualifier, and not blanket fine motor control, which would then need to be intrinsic? Why is it fine motor control and not the throwing and catching of a ball?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 11:27:14 am by Tack »
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139843 on: November 08, 2018, 11:23:59 am »

array

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139844 on: November 08, 2018, 11:37:02 am »

blanket fine motor control, which would then need to be intrinsic?
Fine motor control is learnable. In both hands.

You're welcome to believe whatever you want, but your opinion is factually wrong.
Pages: 1 ... 9321 9322 [9323] 9324 9325 ... 10989