Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How well would this computer play DF?  (Read 1676 times)

Umi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How well would this computer play DF?
« on: April 07, 2010, 08:53:25 pm »

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5290643&CatId=4938

I'm looking for a new laptop and this one seems to be pretty good beyond the whole 10 lbs thing.
Any comments on the computer in general as a gaming laptop are appreciated as well.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
Re: How well would this computer play DF?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 09:27:03 pm »

As far as I know, processing power (Hertz stuff) and a decent amount of RAM was what use to get you going (decent graphics card too).

Not so sure about the newest version, you should also check out the accelerator; it may help.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 09:42:59 pm »

Basically that's a souped up version of the laptop I'm using right now - 2.8 Ghz processor versus 2.4 (but the videocard is worse...). Will run DF well at most settings (maybe not graphics yet) - may want to look into a slightly better videocard in the event of really good OpenGL support?

When you're dealing with DF and laptops, you want to make sure you have excellent cooling. My laptop is currently propped up with an awkward arrangement of newspapers to allow better circulation.

Oh, and you definitely don't want to play with it on your laptop. Not evening including the "TEN POUNDS" thing, it'll get damn hot - probably 70 degrees celsius.

Uh, let me see if I can provide a general impression of speed...

Typically, I'll get 40 (just after unpausing) to 90 fps on my 3x3 embark with 40 dwarves and ~230 Z-levels (around 100 pathable), although I have about 20 idlers and no major critter populations.
This account is defunct - please contact me through other means.

Box

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMINHUNTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 09:50:19 pm »

Running a pentium 4 desktop, 7300 craptastic graphics card here and 1.5 gigs of ram, and on the default (3x3?) embark I get from 40 to 70 FPS at any given time.  Dips below 40 occasionally but only minor at times.  Only got around 15 dwarves, though.  When the 40d# merge comes and bugginess is dealt with, I expect that FPS would only go up from there.  No major wildlife populations, but I've barely even struck the earth.

This is with all the default features on, using the accelerator, and using the mayday graphics set with firefox in the background on a desktop.  I doubt you can possibly get worse than where I am at.

Just so you know, "gaming laptop" is kind of an oxymoron.  Laptops will always be behind the trend at "max specs" perspective, and always cost a lot more than a desktop that runs the same equipment.  Make sure you know what you're getting into before making any decisions, especially when looking for a "gaming laptop".
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 09:54:02 pm by Box »
You should come inside the box.

Then you'll know what I mean.

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 10:03:10 pm »

i got a 6150 Graphic's card, and it is a piece of shit, but that's why they decided to put it on a Quad-core?
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

Nirreln

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 10:05:42 pm »

That's a fast processor, but the video card is very weak. For 1500 you should be getting something much fast than a Geforce GT220. Here is better and cheaper laptop from bestbuy. The CPU speed is 1.6ghz, however since this is a corei7 cpu it can increase its speed to 2.8ghz while running only one thread(like playing DF would do) and the the Radeon HD5870 is one of fastest moble graphics cards.
Quote from: a rather odd engraving
This is a masterful image of your FPS and the HFS. The HFS is committing a depraved act on your FPS.

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 10:18:56 pm »

That's a fast processor, but the video card is very weak. For 1500 you should be getting something much fast than a Geforce GT220. Here is better and cheaper laptop from bestbuy. The CPU speed is 1.6ghz, however since this is a corei7 cpu it can increase its speed to 2.8ghz while running only one thread(like playing DF would do) and the the Radeon HD5870 is one of fastest moble graphics cards.
you seem to know alot, are NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE's any good? I think there horrible, but I dunno...
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 10:40:21 pm »

you seem to know alot, are NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE's any good? I think there horrible, but I dunno...

It is pretty horrible. It's probably an integrated graphics card on your motherboard and not an actual stand-alone card.

If you've got an ATX standard case and good enough power supply you could upgrade with a real PCI-E videocard.
This account is defunct - please contact me through other means.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 10:42:31 pm »

memory thrash is what kills laptops.  When DF tries to swap the memory between the Hard drive and the RAM, and uses the page file excessively? Yeah. Killer.  That's probably why DF Accelerator can't help some people.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned