Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 31

Author Topic: (SG) The Redleaf Epic (Formerly Widow: A Duchess Scorned)  (Read 62509 times)

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (SG) Widow: A Duchess Scorned
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2016, 02:20:23 pm »

This is so awesome! So many things to do. So many options!

Let's start with getting some income. The potion brewing sounds good, so we could do that.

I'm not totally sure about Joy as Duchess, but I see no other suitable candidate. Fortune could just die over us at any given time, so no. And Dean is better serving as a dark mage, and being so dark he is not the best candidate for public relations.

Wednesday could start spying on the Mayor, so that we get some blackmailing potential. We will need to overthrow him and get the city for ourselves at some point.

Also, we will need to have access to dark magic tools. We need to contact Fugitap Bloodwalls, and ask him where can we buy dark magic stuff.

So, my actions are:

Start the potion enterprise
Send Wednesday to spy on the Mayor.
Contact Fugitap and ask him where to buy dark magic stuff.

1+
Our uncle should like that Dean isn't the heir so it will be easier to gain help from him when we need it
set up a training area in the yard to help the green ones(low experience) practice, we might also have some of the more experienced orcs assist in training/practice.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 08:50:49 pm by High tyrol »

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2016, 05:11:27 pm »

Let's start with getting some income. The potion brewing sounds good, so we could do that.

I'm not totally sure about Joy as Duchess, but I see no other suitable candidate. Fortune could just die over us at any given time, so no. And Dean is better serving as a dark mage, and being so dark he is not the best candidate for public relations.

Wednesday could start spying on the Mayor, so that we get some blackmailing potential. We will need to overthrow him and get the city for ourselves at some point.

Also, we will need to have access to dark magic tools. We need to contact Fugitap Bloodwalls, and ask him where can we buy dark magic stuff.

So, my actions are:

+1 to all suggested, covers our bases nicely.

As for Joy becoming duchess, we need to find a way to control her husband, make sure he doesn't get too big for his britches. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2016, 05:13:43 pm »

Sorry to double post, but I have a few questions:

1. The hex system is friggin cool, the hexes can be used to buff people though right, not just as curses?

2. Does our family know that their souls are basically mortgaged to a demon, and are they okay with this?

3. What are the qualifications for ascent into demonhood?
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2016, 05:23:13 pm »

So, my actions are:

+1 to all suggested, covers our bases nicely.

As for Joy becoming duchess, we need to find a way to control her husband, make sure he doesn't get too big for his britches.

Gonna go ahead and follow along with economic development. Plus we can take a few potions if anything for personel use.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2016, 05:34:52 pm »

Think slightly more seriously about Fortune as Duchess.  But not too seriously.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2016, 05:57:51 pm »

Sorry to double post, but I have a few questions:

1. The hex system is friggin cool, the hexes can be used to buff people though right, not just as curses?

2. Does our family know that their souls are basically mortgaged to a demon, and are they okay with this?

3. What are the qualifications for ascent into demonhood?

1: Yep. I thought I made that pretty clear. There is a limit to how many active blessings you can have at once (see the agreements you have with demons). Demons feed on suffering, so they will support curses for free, but not blessings.

2. They are all aware that their eventual fate is to join their ancestors in undeath, and are friendly enough with Wednesday and other sentient undead to be comfortable with this. Only Dean and Farquad are involved enough in dark magic to understand the mechanics through which this happens. You have left it up to Joy to explain this to her husband, and are not sure if she has yet.

3. Ascension is actually not that difficult for a reasonably experienced practitioner of the Manifestation branch of summoning, but it is not a popular option. Most new demons will fall under complete control of a stronger demon or even a mortal binder, and many never regain your freedom. Tivavarav needs the Bonedust family as much as they need him, so when he asks one of you to ascend and work for him, he can be trusted; His entire operation is in fact very much a family business - all three of his noteworthy minions are former mortals of your bloodline.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2016, 06:06:29 pm »

PTW
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2016, 07:20:28 pm »

As I said before, amazing work with the story. The amount of detail, it really gets us into character.

Anyway, I have a question:

Which kinds of undead are there? I see Wight, Ghoul, and Scrap (whatever this is), so far. Do we know of others? Do all undead need maintenance? How about demons? So they need maintenance?

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2016, 08:12:35 pm »

As I said before, amazing work with the story. The amount of detail, it really gets us into character.

Anyway, I have a question:

Which kinds of undead are there? I see Wight, Ghoul, and Scrap (whatever this is), so far. Do we know of others? Do all undead need maintenance? How about demons? So they need maintenance?

Souls for scrap are prepared to be chopped apart to provide permanence and animal level intelligence to 5-10 basic undead at once. It is also worth noting that Ghouls in this setting are more 'low level vampires without the ability to spread their curse' than 'rotting undead body that dines on decay'.

There are many kinds of higher undead. Souls to make Wights, Ghouls, and Chimeric Abominations are almost always available for purchase from Tivavarav. From time to time he will have souls to make more powerful undead such as Mummies, Spectral Haunts, True Vampires, and False Angels. Of those, only Ghouls, Chimeric Abominations, and Vampires require maintenance. You need an Animation Table to make Chimeric Abominations, and lack the knowledge to raise Spectral Haunts, but you could easily make the others with a suitable soul and corpse. Many other types of undead exist, but you would have to go to other demons to get the souls to make them.

There are many types of demons as well. Most gain strength by inflicting suffering and exerting dominance, but few actually need any sort of fuel to survive.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2016, 08:29:16 pm »

That's insightful.

So, fellow players, what do you think, should we go undead or demons?

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2016, 08:42:11 pm »

So, my actions are:

These things sound good. The only possible problem I see is Wednesday not wanting to go on mission until we get the animation table installed.

maybe we could set up a training area in the yard to help the green ones(low experience) practice, we might also have some of the more experienced orcs and maybe joy assist in training/practice.(not  an action)
I think we should make sure the soldiers drilling. They probably won't be collecting plants all the time.
Other suggestions:

Bring Caddor with us as we do our window shopping.

Visit Chieftain Foot. Ask him what services he offers and their costs. See if our old teacher has any advice for us.

Look around the market for estimates on the flasks, Potion Still, and Sealing Station.

Meet Mayor Gregory Rothwell. Try to get better acquainted with him and ask him how he might be able to help us and at what cost.

Look around the city for potential herbalists to hire. Consider having some of Mackie's children help with plant gathering.
I think we should look into finding plant gathers in case the soldiers are not skilled at gather plants or they are too busy.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 08:44:28 pm by StrawBarrel »
Max avatar size is 80x80

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2016, 08:47:48 pm »

So, my actions are:

These things sound good. The only possible problem I see is Wednesday not wanting to go on mission until we get the animation table installed.

maybe we could set up a training area in the yard to help the green ones(low experience) practice, we might also have some of the more experienced orcs and maybe joy assist in training/practice.(not  an action)
I think we should make sure the soldiers drilling. They probably won't be collecting plants all the time.
Other suggestions:

Bring Caddor with us as we do our window shopping.

Visit Chieftain Foot. Ask him what services he offers and their costs. See if our old teacher has any advice for us.

Look around the market for estimates on the flasks, Potion Still, and Sealing Station.

Meet Mayor Gregory Rothwell. Try to get better acquainted with him and ask him how he might be able to help us and at what cost.

Look around the city for potential herbalists to hire. Consider having some of Mackie's children help with plant gathering.
I think we should look into finding plant gathers in case the soldiers are not skilled at gather plants or they are too busy.
1+ all

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2016, 10:58:45 pm »

Upon finding out about Joy's military service, Gruel begins to take interest in her as well. He notices her pregnancy, and having already been told that she just got back from the front, puts two and two together. He then proceeds to embarrass every human in the room by telling her that she made a wise choice to collect seed on the battlefield. When Joy glumly admits that the situation is keeping her from going out to avenge her father, Gruel promptly undoes the week of convincing otherwise put in by Redding and yourself by telling her that the unborn grow strong on the battlefield.
Having Joy and staying at Groghall were two of our best decisions.

That's insightful.

So, fellow players, what do you think, should we go undead or demons?
We don't know anything about demons as physical shock troops at the moment, so undead win by default. Bear in mind that undead are unlikely to be taken well by our human subjects/allies, but orcs respect dark magics and I suspect we'll end up going Full Dark Sorceress anyway.

On that note:
Demons feed on suffering, so they will support curses for free, but not blessings.
There are many types of demons as well. Most gain strength by inflicting suffering and exerting dominance, but few actually need any sort of fuel to survive.
Urge to create infernal prison of hexxed victims ruled by demonic tormentors rising...

This is a complicated issue. We could probably convince Farquad to come back and bring his family with him, but then he'd be married to an elf in not-elf-land, which isn't very pragmatic. It might also piss off Joy and would definitely rankle her husband, which isn't great.

Agreed with getting out potioncraft on. We have no money, so getting some personal finances going is a top priority. Also with looking for advanced crafting stations; any commoner can practice basic herbalism and potioncraft, so we're probably better off offering top-tier, goblin-hexed fancy stuff.

We'll probably want to wait on the undead ones until we know our larger situation better, which will presumably happen when Countess Crazy arrives looking for mercs. And until we have some actual money, which probably won't happen until we get charity from our allies or get our potion industry up. Nothing wrong with pricing them now, though.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2016, 02:16:34 am »

Glad to see this take off, good show!

While I'm at it, I'll +1 this too.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2016, 02:30:24 am »

With regards to undead/demonicness, our family is obviously quite involved, but what is the standard stance on those practises?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 31