Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ranged Weapon Speed?  (Read 1722 times)

Spud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ranged Weapon Speed?
« on: July 17, 2008, 07:08:59 pm »

I am making a world war 2 modification for shits and giggles, but the problem is that the rifle and the SMG fire at roughly the same speed. I was wondering if there was some sort of tag that allowed you to set the speed of the weapons so I could properly charge riflemen with my SubMachinegun.
I hate it when people answer "whats going on" with "not too much".
Plenty of shit is going on and you know it. Spill motherfucker.

Cavalcadeofcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ranged Weapon Speed?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 07:18:54 pm »

No. (Alas.)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 07:19:15 pm »

Nope. Else we would have nerfed crossbows a while ago.

Hard-coded my friend.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 07:19:42 pm »

If we could change the speed at which ranged weapons fire, we would have,  There is absolutely no way a crossbow (or anything else, for that matter) could fire that quickly.  The insane speed is the main aspect that makes ranged weaponry as overpowered as it is.

So, no.

Spud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 07:31:54 pm »

*Cries*

Well that blows. Any hacky workarounds anyone has thought of?

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 07:40:25 pm »

Alas my dear friends you have not thought outside the box. Combat in dwarf fortress works a lot like turn based combat. There are a series of turns and the faster your creature is the less turns it has to wait in-between attacks.

To slow down a creature wielding a specific weapon what you want to do is to make that weapon HEAVY. Heavy enough to slow down the creature using the aforementioned weapon considerably. This will decrease the speed of the creature and the creature will have to wait more turns before attacking.

I'm 90% sure that logic is sound although it remains untested.

To create a sound system where dwarves could fire an SMG at an appropriate rate (if you wanted it to fire faster than the current crossbow) would require greatly increasing their speed in the RAWS. After that you'd need to test what weights provided a good enough rate of fire for each weapon. The problem of course being that your dwarves will now punch at the speed of sound (it would be much easier to just use the current crossbow rate of fire as the rate of fire for your fastest weapon). There is probably another work-around for this to do with wearable items.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 07:46:15 pm by The13thRonin »
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Spud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 07:47:16 pm »

The problem is that you would need to also slow down movement/ melee speed.

I have done this to a degree but the problem is that the riflemen cannot duck into cover (like i would love them to do).

Plus the lack of movement speed makes it difficult to be effective in large firefights due to the rolling nature of the game. that and the SMG's are just as accurate as the rifles. (because as far as i know you can't change that either)

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 07:58:44 pm »

The problem is that you would need to also slow down movement/ melee speed.

I have done this to a degree but the problem is that the riflemen cannot duck into cover (like i would love them to do).

Plus the lack of movement speed makes it difficult to be effective in large firefights due to the rolling nature of the game. that and the SMG's are just as accurate as the rifles. (because as far as i know you can't change that either)

1. Swinging a large rifle around is probably a good deal slower than swatting someone with a SMG. However if this is an issue just test and balance the damage per hit so that when the rifle butt does land a blow it makes up for all the times the SMG had already struck. Not a perfect fix but a fix none-the-less.

2. The AI would never allow for 'ducking into cover'

3. Make the SMG's do much, much less damage. This easily fixes the problem.

4. Ranged combatants generally seem to stand still in Dwarf Fortress anyway.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Spud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008, 08:02:02 pm »

I figure if you had a thing where it would take such and such long to reload you probably would have a turn to make it into cover.

Like if you tried to fire it would be like "such and such weapon is not ready to be fired"

I know the AI wont, but i will, you die REALLY easily to these bullets for some reason. Twice i was one shotted with all my parts out

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2008, 08:05:29 pm »

That's because projectiles have a very high critical chance, which allows them to poke at internal organs.  This is the other aspect that makes ranged weapons overpowered, as you can lose both lungs, your heart, and your liver all in one shot.

And guess what.  That's also hardcoded.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2008, 10:00:04 pm »

Set it to BLUDGEON and get sent flying by it instead.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2008, 10:01:32 pm »

Only problem is, that doesn't change the critical chance.  You'll still have just as much chance of getting your organs popped by a piercing projectile or a blunt one.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2008, 11:28:57 am »

That's because projectiles have a very high critical chance, which allows them to poke at internal organs.  This is the other aspect that makes ranged weapons overpowered, as you can lose both lungs, your heart, and your liver all in one shot.

And guess what.  That's also hardcoded.
No it's not. If critical bodyparts are in different large parts they can't be damaged by 1 attack.
There're a few workarounds but the most efficient for me was to make a 3-part upperbody in the middle-earth mod.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2008, 02:08:11 pm »

I was referring to the fact that you can't change the projectile's critical chance.  So although you can move the organs around a bit, you can't lower the chance that a missile will pierce the skin to get at them.  They'll only be able to hit one insta-kill organ, rather than three.

TheSpaceMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.digital-lifeform.com
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2008, 10:36:44 am »

Couldn't that be fixed by adding non critical chunks to the body?
Poking around with a DFParser.
Bodypart names, creatures names in one easily overviewable place.

Oh my new (old) picture?
Pages: [1] 2