Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14

Author Topic: Faery Tale Online  (Read 31868 times)

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Faery Tale Online
« on: November 12, 2008, 03:39:16 pm »

Some of you may have noticed my signature.  For those who have not, take heed!

I want to announce Faery Tale Online, a persistent browser-based game that I have been working on since June.  Since the game is nearing beta, I wanted to invite everyone to take a peek at what's coming, and perhaps get some people excited about signing up.

If you have ever played Cantr II, then you have a pretty good idea of what Faery Tale Online is all about.  When I first played Cantr, I loved the idea behind it.  I've played lots of RPGs, including P&P games, but I felt like Cantr was the best true role-playing experience I had ever had.

Cantr has a lot of problems though.  The interface is horrible, the server is extremely slow, and development updates are practically non-existent.  In addition, I never really liked the non-magical setting very much, and there were several features I always wanted, but nobody seemed to want to put it in.

Faery Tale Online has a slick interface, where nearly everything takes place on a single page.  It sits on a fast, professional server, and I'm super excited about making it better.

Besides that, in addition to the general game-play you get from Cantr, like a huge world, resource gathering, and building systems, you will see several amazing new features. 

I'm proud to present the first true family system in a MMO (that I know of anyway).  All new characters are born into families, made up of real players.  The game will also have a dynamic story-book.  All major events or actions made by players in the game will be recorded for others to see.  You will also see fantasy creatures, magic, weather and, eventually, explorable dungeons.

The game is about 2/3 complete and I am targetting January 2009 for closed beta.  A month or so later, I'll launch beta for anyone to sign up.

So check it out, join the forums, and let everyone know!

-I just put a faq page up today as well.  It's got loads of info.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 03:59:31 pm by lumin »

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
Re: Faery Tale Online
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 03:56:26 pm »

Looks good, might be a bit fun.

The last 'RPG' Browser game I played was Londinivm several years ago.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 05:16:04 pm »

I have been following it for a while Lumin, but I didn't join the forums.

It's something I'm quite interested in, do you need help with anything?

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 05:45:09 pm »

Does the name have to be Faery Tale Online?  :D

Besides from that, looks good!

Edit: Also, can we kill infants?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 05:46:41 pm by Little »
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 06:33:49 pm »

Does the name have to be Faery Tale Online?  :D

Besides from that, looks good!

Edit: Also, can we kill infants?

I named it that way because most people know what a fairy tale is, it's pretty universal.  It also has to do with the story-book system, which is a pretty big part of the game (my insipiration comes from Dwarf Fortress's own historical system).  That and "Faery" sounds more masculine to me than "Fairy".  :)

Don't worry, this isn't going to be a kiddie game by anyone's standard.

Yes, you will be able to kill anyone at any time.  If you're going to do that, though, be prepared for the backlash from other players if they don't like that.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 09:20:23 pm »

If you need anyone with professional QA test experience I'm your dorf! I've also been involved in alpha-level testing of other browser games (my friend developed two such games for his site, alteringtime.com)

Fualkner

• Bay Watcher
  • My glasses split light.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 09:47:18 pm »

I'd love to beta test. As a programmer, I'm pretty good at screwing up programs. Also, the game sounds great, I've always wanted to play a freeform-ish game, but they were either 100% RP or not enough customizinig, etc.

Little

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 11:02:20 pm »

Well, I'm in, if it's offered!

Onto baby killing!
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 11:05:43 am »

That looks quite awesome, I'm going to keep a close eye on this.

I once planned to create a sort of Harvest Moon/Kingdom of Loathing webbased game, though it never got very far.  It did have plans for family trees though, mostly consisting of player's successive accounts.  (Get a son/daughter, retire, have son/daughter inherit farm and some skills, allowing for multi-classing)

I really hope there'll be farming options in this game. And underwater races.  I'm so going to play my socks off if there's going to be underwater races/areas... *puppy eyes*

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2008, 02:04:03 pm »

That looks quite awesome, I'm going to keep a close eye on this.

I once planned to create a sort of Harvest Moon/Kingdom of Loathing webbased game, though it never got very far.  It did have plans for family trees though, mostly consisting of player's successive accounts.  (Get a son/daughter, retire, have son/daughter inherit farm and some skills, allowing for multi-classing)

I really hope there'll be farming options in this game. And underwater races.  I'm so going to play my socks off if there's going to be underwater races/areas... *puppy eyes*

I've thought about farming, but it won't be in the initial release.  Farms can be considered both a build-able object and a resource gathering site, so it would take an entirely new system to create.  Not to mention that harvesting would have to be limited per season and would require upkeep for a farm to survive.  So it would take quite a bit of work, but I certainly have plans for it in the future.

I hadn't thought of underwater races and it sounds like a great idea.  It would be fairly simple to add them in; land would be impassable instead of water, and obviously we would add some additional perks like weather resistance, and special resources/buildings.

I have some fun ideas for races swirling in my head, including inter-racial races.  I have plans for lycanthropes and vampires, where you will be able to morph periodically and gain/lose new status effects.

Lazer Bomb

• Bay Watcher
  • Sine! Cosine! TANGENT!
    • View Profile
    • Homepage 60☼
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2009, 05:32:41 pm »

The game is about 2/3 complete and I am targetting January 2009 for closed beta.  A month or so later, I'll launch beta for anyone to sign up.

Anyone else notice the target date?
Kagus: "Still, demonic spelunking is always a promising idea."

Eldin

• Bay Watcher
  • BINGO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2009, 11:20:54 pm »

This game looks/sounds awesome. I've signed up for the forums.

Can't wait to see it.
Hi!

socially_inept_butterfly

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes cows for their haunting moos
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2009, 11:23:05 pm »

I've been following it ever since I accidentally clicked your link some time in December.
It's actually set to pop up as a homepage tab right now, because I don't want to miss it's release...I love roleplaying games with actual roleplay, and this looks like it will take it to another level with the families, combat, etc.
Urist Axebeard, Mayor, has banned the export of brains.

Little

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2009, 12:46:10 am »

Inherited skills and everything? That's awesome. So, if my 'father' is a carpenter, I'll get some carpenter skills?

Is this free?

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2009, 02:01:02 am »

I can't resist,I'm probably going to be involved in this one.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14