Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 265 266 [267] 268 269 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1257864 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I wouldn't do hardcore, myself. Dying rarely isn't the same thing as dying never, and I would rapidly get annoyed at having to replace my armor and equipment repeatedly.

If the stuff dropped on the ground where you died, it'd be like UO was originally where you'd have to go retrieve your belongings, except for your character being deleted along with all their money, their piggy bank contents, etc, but... yeah. Still wouldn't do it. I never find that kind of thing fun. Probably what turned me off of it the most was Nethack, which might as well be subtitled "You Must Be Paul Atreides In Order To Win This Game".
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile

I wouldn't do hardcore, myself. Dying rarely isn't the same thing as dying never, and I would rapidly get annoyed at having to replace my armor and equipment repeatedly.

If the stuff dropped on the ground where you died, it'd be like UO was originally where you'd have to go retrieve your belongings, except for your character being deleted along with all their money, their piggy bank contents, etc, but... yeah. Still wouldn't do it. I never find that kind of thing fun. Probably what turned me off of it the most was Nethack, which might as well be subtitled "You Must Be Paul Atreides In Order To Win This Game".

Same here. If there's no way to get back up whatsoever (no amulet of life saving or stuff) and you get griefed by your multiplayer friend, then you're effed.

I don't want to die losing all my progress. What's the incentive for playing hardcore mode anyway? If they increased the drop rates for rare items, then it might be something worth doing, otherwise it will just waste your time.

Collecting life crystals is a pain. Moreso if you use them all and you subsequently die.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile

Same here. If there's no way to get back up whatsoever (no amulet of life saving or stuff) and you get griefed by your multiplayer friend, then you're effed.

I don't want to die losing all my progress. What's the incentive for playing hardcore mode anyway? If they increased the drop rates for rare items, then it might be something worth doing, otherwise it will just waste your time.

Collecting life crystals is a pain. Moreso if you use them all and you subsequently die.
Challenge? C: I know I'm going to be trying out hardcore mode. Maybe it'll teach me to die less. But, first, I'm going to be stocking a chest full of life crystals before I start.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile

Challenge? C: I know I'm going to be trying out hardcore mode. Maybe it'll teach me to die less. But, first, I'm going to be stocking a chest full of life crystals before I start.

Although if that's the case, then hardcore mode will probably be a short lived feature, unless, like what I said, they add incentives like drop rates.

With all that being said, I'll probably try hardcore mode regardless...

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

I don't know about you people, but I'm starting a Hardcore character first thing after getting the new update. That is what I really wanted Terraria to be, more of a true roguelike with a persistent world. Sure, you'll get killed eventually. But knowing that you won't simply respawn after you die will make you think strategically, whether or not to continue spelunking, whether or not to try to break another orb, whether or not to challenge Skeletron. Playing a game like that will add greatly to the experience, in my opinion. Going for Hell gear will be a massive undertaking now, since you won't be able to easily go back without a mirror (or the save/load spell, but I hope that gets changed too, at least for hardcore chars), and you can die very easily in there.

And I do believe there was some mention of balance changes for Hardcore chars. But isn't calling a mode "Hardcore" counterproductive if you start offsetting the difficulty?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile

There's a save/load spell? What does it do? Why wasn't I informed?
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock

Quit out of the game, reload the world, back at the spawn.

Unless you were kiddin, in whichcase disregard. :P

I'll probably be making a hardcore mode char too, at least until I ragequit. Alchemy system is looking awesome, and I like the spears to boot.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile

I don't know about you people, but I'm starting a Hardcore character first thing after getting the new update. That is what I really wanted Terraria to be, more of a true roguelike with a persistent world. Sure, you'll get killed eventually. But knowing that you won't simply respawn after you die will make you think strategically, whether or not to continue spelunking, whether or not to try to break another orb, whether or not to challenge Skeletron. Playing a game like that will add greatly to the experience, in my opinion. Going for Hell gear will be a massive undertaking now, since you won't be able to easily go back without a mirror (or the save/load spell, but I hope that gets changed too, at least for hardcore chars), and you can die very easily in there.

And I do believe there was some mention of balance changes for Hardcore chars. But isn't calling a mode "Hardcore" counterproductive if you start offsetting the difficulty?

Increasing drop rates is hardly a balance offsetting feature. For example, the robot hat barely drops from piranhas and the jungle armor set is kind of rare. Only if you decide to farm those creatures the drop rates get higher.

Increasing the drop rates for those kinds would give some players incentive, even if they don't want to do Hardcore. Of course, such a thing could be negated by a fraction by increasing spawn rates, like an innate water candle.

Otherwise, the whole thing seems a bit bland except for a bit of challenge (suitable for let's plays).

For me, Hardcore mode should be a fast-paced experience with increased drop rates and quite possibly, spawn rates for rare creatures (Dr. Bones, Tim, King Slime).

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile

I think Hardcore would be a bit more !!FUN!! if all the monsters were buffed up a bit. All of them. Except for green and blue slimes because those can be real killers in the early days.
And I think I'll make one and promptly fall off a cliff or drown or something similarly stupid.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

Hardcore mode should be hardcore. There's no reason to make life easier for hardcore characters, because for all intents and purposes, the Hardcore characters won't be any worse off than normal characters, except when they die, which you generally want to avoid in any case, and even here it doesn't lead to an outright loss of anything except some money.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile

Coming soon in 1.05:

Also this:

(at the bottom of this post)

Also, look at the slime in the last screenshot from the link nenjin posted. Is it sparkling?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 02:07:45 am by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile

Coming soon in 1.05:

Also this:

(at the bottom of this post)

Also, look at the slime in the last screenshot from the link nenjin posted. Is it sparkling?

Cool trident, bro.

Naw, seriously, what do you think that weapon will be?

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile

Are they making melee weapons not operate like HUAHUEHUAHUEIHUIHUAISWING silliness?

Seriously, there is so much they can do with melee weapon animations and hitbox variance but instead we have all 180 degree swing clones.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile

I'd like some more ranged weapon options, and some enemies using ranged weapons too.
As it is, the only enemies who use any ranged attack can simply lob it through a wall.
*Hugs*

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile

Are they making melee weapons not operate like HUAHUEHUAHUEIHUIHUAISWING silliness?

Seriously, there is so much they can do with melee weapon animations and hitbox variance but instead we have all 180 degree swing clones.
coughcoughshortswordscoughcough.

I for one look forwards to having a stronger shank than my gold one.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.
Pages: 1 ... 265 266 [267] 268 269 ... 887