Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 474 475 [476] 477 478 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1253157 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria - 1.1 released!
« Reply #7125 on: December 11, 2011, 04:18:07 pm »

I've yet to be able to kill one.
Basically, rocket boots. Possibly a freefall potion and a balloon. Wings, of course, dominate them. You jump over it as it dives, hit for a bit while you're in the air, land, jump back over on the return dive. Rinse, repeat. They're actually really easy to kill, it just takes some getting used to their pattern, and the right accessories to keep yourself in the air long enough for it to pass under you. Decent spear (dark trident or better) will manage it pretty well if you don't want to use ammo on it. Most of the magic weapons run out of mana before managing to kill it, if you're not heavily spec'd for magic use.

Scary as fook the first time you run into them, though. I think the buggers killed me three or four times before I noticed the pattern (mostly because they kept showing up when I was in the middle of murdering something else, ha.).
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #7126 on: December 11, 2011, 04:52:24 pm »

What he said. Once you learn how to take care of them it's actually really fun to dogfight them, but when they're spawning constantly without a chance to do anything inbetween spawns it gets a bit excessive.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7127 on: December 11, 2011, 05:05:03 pm »

Ok. Gonna see if that eater thing someone posted awhile back works. If it does, you rock whoever you were.

What, grinding souls of night from the Eater of Worlds? It totally does. I have 145 and no idea what I want to do with them. Now I'm more interested in grinding cursed flames.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #7128 on: December 11, 2011, 05:19:51 pm »

Oh gog, I found the most hilariously cheap way to fight the Twins: Spend the entire fight standing on fire blocks without an obsidian anything (but with a cobalt shield) while under the effects of regenerative items (potion, band). It's basically perma-invincibility.
dude that

dude that is ingenious. I now know how to solo EVERYTHING, unless the devs implement damage priority (i.e. multiple attacks hit at once, only highest damage actually hits). BETTER WATCH OUT, SKELLY PRIME.
I also have the cross item which increases the invinsibility time... Wow...
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7129 on: December 11, 2011, 06:53:01 pm »

Oh gog, I found the most hilariously cheap way to fight the Twins: Spend the entire fight standing on fire blocks without an obsidian anything (but with a cobalt shield) while under the effects of regenerative items (potion, band). It's basically perma-invincibility.

There's also a variant of that, where you're standing to a platform next to a Jellyfish spawner that's operated by crabs, acting as a faster timer. It's fun, if not expensive to make.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7130 on: December 11, 2011, 09:22:56 pm »

So I tried killing the Destroyer for the first time with a mix of mythril repeater + hellfire arrows and Clockwork Assault Rifle + crystal bullets.

Bad idea.

While the CAS/crystal bullets DID do a lot of hits, it just wasn't doing enough damage to kill it before sunrise. So a word of advice: use hellfire arrows on the Destroyer, the guns available before it dies aren't good enough.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7131 on: December 11, 2011, 09:26:22 pm »

Better advice: Adamantine armor set and a freaking spear, brah, and warding on as many accessories as you can manage. Throw on ironskin, bowl o'soup, and regen, and destro'll be basically incapable of damaging you. Then just hover around whatever part of it you can hit the most of per swing and occasionally suck up probe hearts. Dao of Pow would probably rock its world, too.

Soloing the bugger was surprisingly easy. I was using a legendary gung, but I finished killing the thing before the night was half-over, so theoretically you only need half that damage output.

Basically you need piercing. No piercing, no mos.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7132 on: December 11, 2011, 09:27:27 pm »

A lot of us would prefer to rock the bosses before grinding out whatever Adamantine we can find, as a lot of those toys needing boss souls are mighty handy.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7133 on: December 11, 2011, 09:34:32 pm »

Better, yet expensive idea. Load up on stars for the starcannon, and get grav pots. Dodge as needed while mashing up and down and the left mouse button. Also, buff up on ironskin.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7134 on: December 11, 2011, 09:35:53 pm »

Don't need anything anymore, I have an infinite star cannon.

If you boost your range damage high enough, your star cannon damage can go higher than 100. There's a bug where a star cannon shot that deals 100+ damage doesn't disappear like a normal star shot does.

So basically, recollectible stars + % chance of not consuming ammo. Do the math.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7135 on: December 11, 2011, 09:37:16 pm »

So, technically speaking, fallen stars are fired from uber-powerful starcannons from space? Sweet.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7136 on: December 11, 2011, 09:38:51 pm »

So, technically speaking, fallen stars are fired from uber-powerful starcannons from space? Sweet.
I am suddenly reminded of Meteos.

Everyone get their star cannons and start firing wildly into space! The fate of our map depends on it!

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7137 on: December 11, 2011, 09:39:40 pm »

Hell is colder than Hardmode. In that sense, adamantite is easier to acquire than mythril, since mythril is smack dab in the middle of the cavern layer. Cobalt can appear close to the surface, so that isn't much of a problem.

I'm talking about the dangers of those arrow skeletons.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7138 on: December 11, 2011, 09:42:30 pm »

I'm talking about the dangers of those arrow skeletons.
It seems the gaming community in general has collectively not figured out how to dodge arrows.

90% of the time they just miss if I keep moving, usually with no intent on approaching them.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7139 on: December 11, 2011, 09:48:14 pm »

So I got my hands on the Crystal Storm magic book. I'm in love with this thing. It fires insanely fast, does DPS on par with my mythical laser rifle at vanilla strength, and I'm already specced for magic anyhow.

My favorite thing though, is that the little bullets bounce infinitely until they run out of steam and disappear. This is massively helpful in my spelunking expeditions, as it means that in the cramped spaces of the caves, I'll win any fire fight, period. Each bullet bounces around, hitting monsters 4 or 5 times before disappearing. Even better, when I'm drilling through a wall, and I'm about to break into a room jam-packed full of monsters, all I need to do is open up a small hole and then PEW PEW PEW as many Crystal Storm bullets as I can into it, and then watch as the room where I was about to be ambushed is turned into a deathtrap that they can't escape from as the bullets ricochet in every direction hitting them all. Truly beautiful.
Pages: 1 ... 474 475 [476] 477 478 ... 887