Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 599 600 [601] 602 603 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1253155 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria - 1.1 released!
« Reply #9000 on: September 26, 2012, 07:21:27 am »

If it were just an adventure platformer or just a building game, I wouldn't enjoy it at all.
Interesting, this sums up very nicely how I, too, feel about Terraria. I have all the respect for people building massive projects in it, but would not have the patience to do so. I usually build out of necessity - NPC rooms, storage and working area, safe spawn point; but at the same time, I try to make this "necessity" visually attractive. I decide "here I will have castle with all my stuff, I'll make it big, I'll have rooms here, here and here". Then I come up with stuff as I play, putting blocks, furniture and lights here and there to make it look good.

Things change a bit when you play MP, as I figured. It feels different when there are suddenly other people building, improving, changing terrain everywhere and there's a different house every few blocks away. That's probably why I never cared to bother with Minecraft after my first 1h of solo play - to boring.

Building out of necessity is an essential part of the formula.  Absolutely.  Just building for the sake of building doesn't appeal to me.  Just being annoyed by monsters while I build something for the sake of building it doesn't appeal to me either.  I build something because I'm being annoyed by monsters.  I have to plan ways to survive their aggression, and I'm constantly forced to improvise tactics as I carry out my overall plan.

Dwarf Fortress is the best game ever for this kind of gameplay.  Terraria is also good, but much more formulaic.  I really wish there were more.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9001 on: September 30, 2012, 10:51:01 pm »

Huzzah! After a couple of hours browsing the official forums, I was lead to an external program which allows near-total world editing. Another hour after that to figure out the best way to do what I wanted, and I got to work.

One late night later, and it was all worth it. The town of Mystic Mountain is safe from being overrun by either Corruption or Hallow. There are still defensive upgrades, farms, and storage units to complete, and outside of carefully prepared barriers the dueling forces of light and dark run rampant. Still, underneath this mountain-turned-village-turned-fortress, life goes on.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Behold the main entrance! It used to be a much simpler affair; all the walls and bridges made of common, grassy dirt. As part of the preparations for hard mode, all exterior walls were replaced with much tougher dungeon brick. You may also see some defensive traps. More devious devices, including boulder traps, are in the works.

This is the primary crafting area. A cauldron for soup-making is elsewhere, but right here just about anything can be crafted. The Guide lives right below, always available to remind players of what exactly Coral or Mythril is used for. You can also see the living spaces for some other residents; the Dryad, the Tinkerer, and the Merchant.
One thing you may have noticed is the large amount of grassy dirt inside the halls. The grass provides natural carpeting...and I just think it looks nicer than stone and brick blocks everywhere :P

The current primary storage area. This place sufficed back when Mystic Mountain was little more than a hole in the ground, but with an ever-expanding amount of stuff to store it has rapidly become obsolete. A full warehouse is being planned deeper into the mountain, though transferring everything will likely be a chore.

Up here, at the peak of the mountain, is a secondary door/escape hatch. This place is inaccessible to any non-flying monsters, making it safe to leave unguarded - even in a Blood Moon.
The Shield Statue also rests here. It was the first statue discovered on this world, and has stood here ever since. The only time it came down was when the silver ore it rested upon was replaced by silver bricks.

Here we see the last pre-hard mode addition, the Statue Garden. It looks much nicer at night, with the soft glow of the lamps providing most of the light. Most unique statues go here, and benches provide a place to relax and enjoy the sunlight and artwork.

The rear entrance to the mountain. This one is much more of a gauntlet for invaders, though further refinements to the defenses are planned. This long bridge, abundance of pressure plates, and long firing lanes for the poison darts provide reasonable protection.

Here is the player character's living quarters. A full library addition is in the works, though more green brick is required before construction can commence. The Arms Dealer and Nurse live downstairs, and the Mechanic just kinda hangs out in the living room :P

The main hall, further storage, and rooms for both the Demolitionist and Clothier.  A brewery is under construction underneath the Demo's room, and he's quite excited about it.

Built of magically-charged demonite bricks, the Wizard's room is the newest complete addition. Here, away from accidental guinea pigs, he experiments and practices his arcane talent. Shame he's going senile.

But for every triumph made by the denizens of Mystic Mountain, a tragedy occurred as well. Below the main entrance, under the watchful eye of the Dryad, lies the graveyard. This place has seen minimal upgrades or renovations, merely the addition of an Angel statue and a small shrine for visitors to leave offerings. With the world plunged into new struggles, I fear that this place too will need to be expanded.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9002 on: September 30, 2012, 11:43:23 pm »

Sweet.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9003 on: October 01, 2012, 12:02:29 am »

It's worth noting (in my mind, at least) that most of the base followed the natural contours and caves of the original landscape. That explains the grass everywhere and the cavernous main rooms.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #9004 on: October 01, 2012, 05:53:07 am »

I was about to remark that the whole place has a rambling, chaotic feel to it. Makes sense now.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9005 on: October 01, 2012, 05:04:50 pm »

Did it have a rambling, chaotic feel in a good way? :P

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #9006 on: October 02, 2012, 05:08:15 am »

Did it have a rambling, chaotic feel in a good way? :P
Personally I like nice orderly structures with planned aesthetics, so no not really. But that is just my viewpoint.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9007 on: October 02, 2012, 05:12:13 am »

* Haspen has a fey mood.

I MUST HAVE FORSAKEN'S SERVER.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #9008 on: October 02, 2012, 05:13:19 am »

* Haspen has a fey mood.

I MUST HAVE FORSAKEN'S SERVER.
Er.. which one? If you mean the Terraria server, it will be back up shortly. Doing some updates on my PC.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9009 on: October 02, 2012, 05:58:23 am »

I was distracted by meteor mining and forgot what that fey mood was about :P
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9010 on: October 02, 2012, 08:39:59 am »

I was distracted by meteor mining and forgot what that fey mood was about :P
Then, and soon as you know it, you'll be trying to kill everyone.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9011 on: October 02, 2012, 03:52:42 pm »

I'm thinking of making a custom "adventure" map. This world editor has some pretty powerful features to it, including the ability to gen entire worlds from scratch.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9012 on: October 07, 2012, 10:24:30 am »

So I have had plenty of crashes lately when trying to save&exiut.
Resulting in stuff on the world never been done.

I ahve googled stuff and tried what was suggested but nothing really helped..
So.. Anyone here who could give me some advice?

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #9013 on: December 15, 2012, 01:03:03 pm »

Santa's back!  Open the prezzies!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9014 on: December 17, 2012, 01:01:43 pm »

Man, Redwarrior has been hosting a Day1 hard mode map, and it's super fun. Enemies are actually kind-of-dangerous instead of merely-annoying, and that seems to make all the difference in the world for enjoyability!

Please we get to build fancy villages on stilts.
Pages: 1 ... 599 600 [601] 602 603 ... 887