Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 1419

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1817937 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #1155 on: July 20, 2012, 12:59:13 pm »

Phobias?

1. Things flying around my head. I'm not terrified of bees at a distance, or even flying around near my feet/ legs. Once they get up to about shoulder height, they magically transform from bees into FUCKING BEEEEESSSSSSS.

2. People. I'm agoraphobic to an extent, especially if I'm by myself (i.e. not with people I know).

3. Water over my face. Can't swim. Nearly drowned three times as a kid. I'd crack in a heartbeat if waterboarded. (However, see #2 below)

Things I'm totally not scared of, but should be:

1. Heights. I freakin' love heights. There's something almost mystical about viewing the desert from the top of Ayers Rock, or Shanghai from the top of the Pearl TV tower, or looking out the window of a plane at 35,000 feet. No fear.

2. Deep water. Can't swim. Still love going out on boats. Rationally, I know that if I ever fall in the water without a life jacket, it's Game Over, but I still don't care. Of course, if I did fall in, see #3 above.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: July 20, 2012, 01:04:34 pm »

Can't swim.
Ok, seriously, why can't anyone swim? I am one of the only people I know who can swim. What the hell.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: July 20, 2012, 01:05:14 pm »

Needles. I have a panic response even if I see one which I know will not be used on me.
This is a blank sig.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: July 20, 2012, 01:06:35 pm »

Needles. I have a panic response even if I see one which I know will not be used on me.

This! I knew I forgot to include something very important.
Heights would be right below that.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: July 20, 2012, 01:07:58 pm »

I used to have a fear of needles because my childhood inoculations and dental work were horrible sharp nightmares that never ended, but now I think my pediatrician and past dentists were just all morons as my current dentist and my current doctor's nurses can consistantly deliver injections painlessly.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: July 20, 2012, 01:17:29 pm »

Can't swim.
Ok, seriously, why can't anyone swim? I am one of the only people I know who can swim. What the hell.
I have an excuse...long-boned frame, not much body fat. Also, very little "air pocket" in the thoracic cavity thanks to pectis excavatum. I can't even fucking float.
If there were an Olympic event in sinking, I'd be in London right now.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: July 20, 2012, 01:53:24 pm »

I used to have a fear of needles because my childhood inoculations and dental work were horrible sharp nightmares that never ended, but now I think my pediatrician and past dentists were just all morons as my current dentist and my current doctor's nurses can consistantly deliver injections painlessly.

Oh its not the pain at all. There is something "invasive" about having that little bit of steel in my body that makes me want to black out.
This is a blank sig.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: July 20, 2012, 01:57:33 pm »

Can't swim.
I have an excuse...long-boned frame, not much body fat. Also, very little "air pocket" in the thoracic cavity thanks to pectis excavatum. I can't even fucking float.
If there were an Olympic event in sinking, I'd be in London right now.

I can't float, either.  I have to actively swim when in water or I'll sink.  I can swim, though.

Heights:  My level of fear of them was about normal... until I stood on top of the Pike's Peak in Colorado.  Something about that just made heights seem trivial to the point that I have little fear of them at all.

Needles:  Proof that facing your fear does eventually result in it going away.  My wife used to have a phobia of needles.  Then our kid turned diabetic.  She had to administer several shots a day.  It was a nightmare to her for a long time... but she eventually got over it.  She still doesn't like it, but it doesn't produce the irrational fear response anymore.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: July 20, 2012, 02:03:51 pm »

I also have a fear of needles. It's more a fear of pain rather than anything else; I almost passed out once after getting shot 3 times. Almost ;)
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: July 20, 2012, 02:05:01 pm »

I almost passed out once after getting shot 3 times.
I'm surprised you aren't dead.
No Gods, No Masters.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: July 20, 2012, 02:07:06 pm »

Shot with needles.

But I'll accept people taking that out of context :D
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1166 on: July 20, 2012, 02:09:45 pm »

Sidesidenote: Sigmund Freud stated that his patients who were afraid of heights weren't actually afraid of falling. They were afraid that they might jump.
This is a funny one.

Case:

Me, on a three story boat in Hurghada, red sea. Fun fun fun.
Friend, on same boat.
Us, looking down boat: We have to jump off this thing.
Realizing we have to jump: NOPE NOPE NOPE
Me: Realizing I'd never jump whilst looking at the height, sprinted and jumped over the sides.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOP*Splash*
Friend: Realizing I'm not dead, jumps after.

So basically, I was indeed feeling fear that I would jump, based solely off the height.

fuk yeah freeeuud

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: July 20, 2012, 02:19:28 pm »

Accidentally went into this thread, but... you people and your silly normal phobias.

Frumple is phobic of boats. Not because of the water, no. I can swim fine, and love water. I'm phobic of boats because every time I get in or contemplate getting in one, the back of my head starts screaming neurotically about the absolute fact that there's something in the water that is A. Bigger than the boat, B. Going to be referred to as a bullfrog, and C. Is going to be attached to the boat by a sharpened piece of metal by a drunk bastid.

This is why you don't get drunk and take your six year old out gator gigging at three AM.

I'm not afraid of "bullfrogs" either. You'd think there'd be some lingering dread of the pissed off reptile that was larger than the boat, but nope! Just boats. Size of boat doesn't matter. Fucking cruise liner? No go. Goddamn bullfrog in the ocean and some nitwit is going to simultaneously piss it off and connect it to the boat.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1168 on: July 20, 2012, 03:35:17 pm »

Somewhere in the world, there is now a man wearing spandex drilling bullfrogs onto boats.

Thanks Frumple, I don't think I've ever laughed at an image like that.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: July 20, 2012, 05:21:53 pm »

Wait, I'm confused. Since when is a bullfrog ever larger than a boat?
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 1419