Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 699751 times)

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread)
« Reply #315 on: May 22, 2011, 04:05:09 pm »

@Ggamer: Well, someones running a WW2+Cthlulhu mythos mash up in role playing. Will you do something crazy like that? :P

what

That sounds awesome.

Like, holy shit.

Link?

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: May 31, 2011, 05:52:58 pm »

Thinking about starting up a streamlined, better-explained Staggered Magi II. If you've got any comments, including just about that type of game in general (Arcanum Octet, Westlands), I'd love to hear them.

Intended changes from the original:

-Quickstart explanations, with more in-depth versions below. There's a ton of stuff that might be relevant or of interest in some situation or another, that simply isn't important just for making a character or doing anything except some specific circumstance.

-All custom schools of magic. Obviously I'd be making sure everyone's schools were appropriate, but I'm not sure there's any actual point to describing premade ones.

-Simplified items, including various rock-paper-scissors armor and weapon classifications.

-Limited spells known, or perhaps concepts mastered. I'd like to allow (and to some extent force) specialization within schools. I'm not entirely certain how to go about this, but the goal is to mechanically differentiate between, say, a necromancer who usually raises undead minions and one who usually afflicts enemies with weakening curses. Some sort of bonus to spells or concepts known, with the number limited by skill in that particular school, might work.

-Traits earnable through play. Ideally this would help distinguish players from each other, and perhaps provide a bonus the players can consciously choose at certain points. I might also assign traits- positive or negative- based on... well, if you follow these sorts of games you know what sometimes happens.

-Potentially, bonuses for different clusters of skills or schools, so if two people have equal hammer skill, but one combatant is also familiar with swords, axes, and polearms, he might be a better fighter in some way. Still considering if this is viable.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: May 31, 2011, 05:56:13 pm »

For the latter, maybe they get stat boni for skills they know. So somebody who knows Hammers gets +1 Str but so does Swrod asnd stuff?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: May 31, 2011, 06:00:07 pm »

(Arcanum Octet, Westlands)
:D You mentioned my RTD. <3

...anyway, reserve me. I hope you can actually find the want to do this more than the Tainted Power RTD.

I also hope my character in your Tainted Power RTD will be able to fit. I really didn't get to try him out and I really wanted to.

Will go over stuff now because I was a dolt and didn't realize you were asking for help. Derp.

-Quickstart explanations, with more in-depth versions below. There's a ton of stuff that might be relevant or of interest in some situation or another, that simply isn't important just for making a character or doing anything except some specific circumstance.
Hmmm, maybe.

-All custom schools of magic. Obviously I'd be making sure everyone's schools were appropriate, but I'm not sure there's any actual point to describing premade ones.
It depends on how much you plan on limiting players. Describing them will allow you to curb how the players interact with magic.

-Simplified items, including various rock-paper-scissors armor and weapon classifications.
Sounds good enough. Though remember that players can and will question the realism. So, for example, a steel plate armor being effective against cutting and not being effective against stabbing would cause a lot of questions.

-Limited spells known, or perhaps concepts mastered. I'd like to allow (and to some extent force) specialization within schools. I'm not entirely certain how to go about this, but the goal is to mechanically differentiate between, say, a necromancer who usually raises undead minions and one who usually afflicts enemies with weakening curses. Some sort of bonus to spells or concepts known, with the number limited by skill in that particular school, might work.
Sounds good.

-Traits earnable through play. Ideally this would help distinguish players from each other, and perhaps provide a bonus the players can consciously choose at certain points. I might also assign traits- positive or negative- based on... well, if you follow these sorts of games you know what sometimes happens.
Klingt gut.

-Potentially, bonuses for different clusters of skills or schools, so if two people have equal hammer skill, but one combatant is also familiar with swords, axes, and polearms, he might be a better fighter in some way. Still considering if this is viable.
Hmmm, there are a few ways you can go over this that I can think of off the bat:

As suggested by Taricus and Darvi, adding a stat bonus. Easy, somewhat realistic.
Adding a sort of "related" bonus for certain skills. Like, say, a related bonus for swords and hammers (you swing them). This could be kinda tedious, but it's realistic.
Adding a generic "Fighter" skill that is the total of all melee combat skills. This is easier than the above one, though less realistic.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 06:15:16 pm by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: May 31, 2011, 06:02:21 pm »

Irony, for the last one the warrior in question is either better trained or experienced, so a stat bonus reflecting that wouldn't be out of place.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: May 31, 2011, 06:18:02 pm »

For the latter, maybe they get stat boni for skills they know. So somebody who knows Hammers gets +1 Str but so does Swrod asnd stuff?
Irony, for the last one the warrior in question is either better trained or experienced, so a stat bonus reflecting that wouldn't be out of place.
Yeah, not sure I want to include stats. They do sort of fit the concept I'm going for, but there's also the issue of everything providing double benefits this way. I'm pretty sure the numbers will get big enough on their own.

Maybe I could loosely divide skills into various categories, with each full level of skill giving the equivalent of experience towards your next perk in that vague category, so if you want a melee perk you'd better train with weapons etc. This is kind of getting into game mechanics relying on vague and poorly defined distinctions, though, and I'm not sure I want to officially classify everything.

...anyway, reserve me. I hope you can actually find the want to do this more than the Tainted Power RTD.
I'm not sure if I should accept reservations this early. It tends to result in there being no room when the game actually starts. >_>

As for actually doing it, yeah. I think I will, but I'm going to make certain I really want to before actually putting it up. Another reason to not accept reservations, I guess.

I also hope my character in your Tainted Power RTD will be able to fit. I really didn't get to try him out and I really wanted to.
I was actually thinking you might want to do that. I'm sure he'd fit right in.

Will go over stuff now because I was a dolt and didn't realize you were asking for help. Derp.
Well, just general "yay RTD" and "I hope this doesn't ALSO fail and die" is fine too. :P
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: May 31, 2011, 06:21:39 pm »

I'm not sure if I should accept reservations this early. It tends to result in there being no room when the game actually starts. >_>

As for actually doing it, yeah. I think I will, but I'm going to make certain I really want to before actually putting it up. Another reason to not accept reservations, I guess.
Reserve me or I'll bite your legs off!

...not really. Just start it at ~10+ my time (which I just realized is the same is your time. West-Coast'ers, unite!) then.

...please? :P

But yeah, it was pretty rediculous when everyone reserved every slot in my game. >_> Well, you just have to start it quickly before too many people reserve.

I was actually thinking you might want to do that. I'm sure he'd fit right in.
Wohoo!

Well, just general "yay RTD" and "I hope this doesn't ALSO fail and die" is fine too. :P
Finished.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: May 31, 2011, 06:22:54 pm »

Sounds good so far. Maybe if you streamline all this stuff beforehand, you can keep from burning out with so many rolls-automation and simplicity are the keys.

I would like to see a stat less system, actually. Less bookeeping for you, the better.

Dwareet'ik will probably be making a comeback soon! I'm sure that portal ended up somewhere...
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: May 31, 2011, 06:29:37 pm »

And never forget the half-dragon >:3

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: May 31, 2011, 06:34:15 pm »

I guess the first thing we should talk about concerning stats and so forth is how many sides are you using for your dice? If it's the standard six, then yeah, you'll either want to make a lot of categories like the Westlands so nobody gets so skilled they can do everything well (which admittedly has led us to specializing our characters. >.> Not really THAT bad of a thing but from a GM standpoint I can see how it would make some situations harder) or go for no categories and hand out bonuses very sparingly (which I'm more in favor of). I would say let players get 1 bonus or skill of some sort to define who their character is at the start, then if they consistently do certain tasks well like roll several fives while wielding a sword, then consider giving them a bonus for it.

Other dice carry their own issues of course, but they're modifiable. You could use the 10-sided system and just change a few things to suit yourself, like no stat can start above 5 and give us less points to start with because we're supposed to be jobbers, that kind of thing.

I'll probably be keeping an eye out, but I dunno if I'll use Shiloh again. I might try making a different character 'cause I don't like to repeat myself too much.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: May 31, 2011, 06:37:48 pm »

or go for no categories and hand out bonuses very sparingly (which I'm more in favor of).
Ditto. Despite my intentions, my RTD hands out bonuses like a candy vendor hands out candy to children who have an easy way of getting money. It's ridiculous. And I don't think I can change it in-game anymore without causing serious breaks.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: May 31, 2011, 06:40:30 pm »

Ditto. Despite my intentions, my RTD hands out bonuses like a candy vendor hands out candy to children who have an easy way of getting money. It's ridiculous. And I don't think I can change it in-game anymore without causing serious breaks.

I would be willing to wait while you reworked the system, if you really wanted to. ^^
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: May 31, 2011, 06:49:24 pm »

I would be willing to wait while you reworked the system, if you really wanted to. ^^
Hmmm, I'll ask everyone else to see if they're fine with reworking. If they're mostly fine, then I'll work on the system when I feel like it.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: May 31, 2011, 06:50:55 pm »

Go for it. Though would there be a turn today?
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 661