Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 699766 times)

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread)
« Reply #2280 on: November 21, 2011, 11:26:32 pm »

You mean acorns ?

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
  • This is getting personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2281 on: November 21, 2011, 11:31:00 pm »

No...I mean squirrel testicles. That should have been pretty obvious...Damn blighters are always stealing the cat food!

I've been spamming this thread a lot, so before I bring a banhammer down on my head, I'm going to be, er, taking a slight rest. Maybe work on a bare-bones RTD version...Thanks for all the ideas, guys! Can anybody recommend a good website that has a legitimate dice-rolling device-thingy? I don't actually have an D6's or whatnot around here.

Also, one final thing (Sorry!), but should I create some basic classes myself, such as Ranger, Paladin, Blood Mage, etc...Or should I leave it up to the players? Please remember that I'm awfully new to this whole thing, so, uh...Yeah. Sorry again! I know I'm really spammy. And annoying, but that's a given, considering the massive amounts of sugar and caffeine in my system right now.

Hardcap of 200 MB/24 hours.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2282 on: November 21, 2011, 11:32:57 pm »

Random.org is a good dice place.

As for classes, I'm not a GM (Can you even imagine) so I dunno what would be better. Go with what seems right, and it should work out alright.

And don't worry about spamming, every single damn thread on the forum goes off the rails at least twice per week.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 11:35:14 pm by dermonster »
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2283 on: November 22, 2011, 12:03:18 am »

Random.org is a good dice place.

As for classes, I'm not a GM (Can you even imagine) so I dunno what would be better. Go with what seems right, and it should work out alright.

And don't worry about spamming, every single damn thread on the forum goes off the rails at least twice per week.

Eh...I used to post on The Escapist, and the rules there are...Strict, to put it minorly. I'm used to getting temporary bans for posting twice in a row, so...I guess it's rubbed off on me.

And hey! Thanks for the link, this site is awesome! You should try your hand at GM'ing, it'd be awesome! Make sure that if you do, you let me in. You'll do a better job than I will, and hell, maybe if you make one, I can follow suit and take tips from how you play it out. Er, sorry if it sounds like I'm pushy...I'm a follower, not a leader, so...Yeah.

The classes...I was thinking of having pre-set classes, but allow players to choose a class-related ability (From a pre-made pool), and have a few bonus stats for whatever they want it in. A single Strength/Agility/Intelligence/Charisma deal...I'm working on it right now. Man, I'm actually pumped! I've wanted to make an RTD ever since I found Bay12 (Quite a long time ago, I lurked for a horribly long time...), so...Yeah.

Sorry once again if I'm typing too much. Please, feel no need to respond, I'm just once again pouring out my emotions. I'm a sissy like that...

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #2284 on: November 22, 2011, 12:04:56 am »

Random.org feels, I don't know, "streaky" to me, especially if I roll multiple times in quick succession. It IS good if you want to use weird ranges, but for straight d6's I've just been using the d20 dice bag

@Dave1004

As regards classes, it really depends on how you want the game to play out. Classes exist to prevent some classes from doing some things while allowing/enhancing their ability to do another. Basic example- Wizards are the only ones who can cast magic, but they suck in combat. It's a way to have players make interesting gameplay choices, and it encourages players to work together since nobody is good (or even able) to do everything.

I would caution you to not get too carried away with bonuses and the like- bear in mind that your standard RTD uses d6's, so a +1 bonus is ~16% increase in effectiveness. Things can get out of hand quick, especially if it starts stacking (+3 basically means you can't fail, vanilla rules.) If, like me, you LIKE stats and bonuses, you can get around it by using a different combat system than vanilla RTD (opposed combat rolls are common,) and keeping the non-combat stuff regular rules. I've also seen some GM's use d12's instead of d6's for the greater subtlety and finesse it provides (though I haven't experienced it myself.)

And I rather hope I'll be able to get in on the ground floor of this, though with my work schedule it isn't likely :P

@Derm I say dagnabbit, dagnabbit! I don't often type it, mostly because my accent doesn't slip as much when I'm writing, but still and all, it's my personal hobby to introduce outdated slang into everyday conversation. Bully idea, eh?

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2285 on: November 22, 2011, 12:08:46 am »

There's always the advanced overshoot system I have way back on page two or three (Most words in that are flavor text, really) that I've yet to see someone use, if that strikes your fancy for putting absurd bonuses everywhere.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2286 on: November 22, 2011, 12:45:06 am »

Random.org feels, I don't know, "streaky" to me, especially if I roll multiple times in quick succession. It IS good if you want to use weird ranges, but for straight d6's I've just been using the d20 dice bag

@Dave1004

As regards classes, it really depends on how you want the game to play out. Classes exist to prevent some classes from doing some things while allowing/enhancing their ability to do another. Basic example- Wizards are the only ones who can cast magic, but they suck in combat. It's a way to have players make interesting gameplay choices, and it encourages players to work together since nobody is good (or even able) to do everything.

I would caution you to not get too carried away with bonuses and the like- bear in mind that your standard RTD uses d6's, so a +1 bonus is ~16% increase in effectiveness. Things can get out of hand quick, especially if it starts stacking (+3 basically means you can't fail, vanilla rules.) If, like me, you LIKE stats and bonuses, you can get around it by using a different combat system than vanilla RTD (opposed combat rolls are common,) and keeping the non-combat stuff regular rules. I've also seen some GM's use d12's instead of d6's for the greater subtlety and finesse it provides (though I haven't experienced it myself.)

And I rather hope I'll be able to get in on the ground floor of this, though with my work schedule it isn't likely :P

@Derm I say dagnabbit, dagnabbit! I don't often type it, mostly because my accent doesn't slip as much when I'm writing, but still and all, it's my personal hobby to introduce outdated slang into everyday conversation. Bully idea, eh?

Damn, you're exactly correct! I know that this is a lot to ask, but could you review how I'm currently doing? In the spoiler is just the perks for some of the classes, and I want to see if which ones are overpowered or underpowered. Sorry to bother...This offer is for everyone to view, and please DO NOT be afraid to criticize me, even to the point of mocking. It will only make me better if you point out all flaws. Yes, I plan to do a D8 rolling system, with a 1 being a critical failure, and an 8 being an overshoot. When anything over an 8 is rolled, the normal effect still takes place, but a hidden roll will decide if something bad affects the player who rolled the 8. Do you think this is fair?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I know, it's really rough. I was planning on simply making a rough sketch-out, and then fixing it up later. So don't think that this is anywhere NEAR a finished product.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2287 on: November 22, 2011, 12:48:46 am »

Limited magic pools?

Also, would it be possible for me to use 'drain his blood out through his eyes with water magic' as an action in such a system?

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2288 on: November 22, 2011, 12:50:06 am »

Even if the answer were no, you would still do it somehow anyway.

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2289 on: November 22, 2011, 12:59:12 am »

Limited magic pools?

Also, would it be possible for me to use 'drain his blood out through his eyes with water magic' as an action in such a system?

Hmm. I was thinking of having a system where Mages can combine spells for certain effects, but I don't know how good I am at that sort of thing. Maybe if you found a loophole in my swiss-cheese system you could, but otherwise...I'm not too good at the whole "Custom spells" thing. I'll give it a thought although.

And yes, Soul Magic is limited by an inner "Magical" pool, which can be replenished by absorbing magic from enchanted objects, or things like Magic potions. Of course it has a default, albeit quite possibly slow automatic replenish. Sure, typical, but Blood and Reagent magic require sacrifices (However minor) and magical ingredients, respectively.

So, say a Reagent Mage starts out with a few satches full of herbs and a small enchanted dagger. He could absorb the magic from the dagger to fuel a spell, or he could combine certain ingredients to create the desired effect. An example would be grinding up some Mistletoe with some Wormwood to create a basic Earth Spike spell, or adding some Frost leaves to a bit of Demon's blood to make a powerful Blood magic spell. Of course, those reagents aren't easy to come by! So, a Magician will always have a backup option even if he runs out of "Mana", making it so that they don't have to require normal "Mana" to cast spells.

An example for a low-level Blood spell would be a Mage sacrificing a bit of his own life force to conjure said spell, whether it be something like causing an opponents organs to rupture or summoning an other-worldly creature. Some Mages will be better at a certain type of magic, however.

Edit: My internet usage is at 193 Megabytes, and I have a 200 MB Cap, so...I'm signing off for now. I'll be back on in an hour, when the 6 hour "Free Time" kicks in. Ta-ta! I look forwards to your guys' replies. Thanks for all the help :P.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 01:01:09 am by Dave1004 »

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2290 on: November 22, 2011, 01:02:23 am »

Ah. My preferred method of magic is similar to the type in roll to roll to dodge.

Just give me control over an element and I will go to town baby! Incidentally, RTRTD is where I got my rep ^.^ Read it over, you won't regret it.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #2291 on: November 22, 2011, 02:08:30 am »

...Shit. I've been spending the last half hour typing and cursing at my screen, trying to come up with a plot for that Road Trip RP. I can't get anything to make sense! Why are we all in the same place? Was Toady kidnapped? WHY was he kidnapped? Why does he need to be back before the convention? Where are we starting, for Armok's sake?!
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #2292 on: November 22, 2011, 02:09:59 am »

...Shit. I've been spending the last half hour typing and cursing at my screen, trying to come up with a plot for that Road Trip RP. I can't get anything to make sense! Why are we all in the same place? Was Toady kidnapped? WHY was he kidnapped? Why does he need to be back before the convention? Where are we starting, for Armok's sake?!
The beauty of a freeform RP is that you don't have to write that stuff. Give everyone a basic setting, a basic goal, and the players will fill in the gaps.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2293 on: November 22, 2011, 02:16:38 am »

I feel your pains! Well, not so much, but in a sense I do. Just pull something out of your ass, and if it's not perfect, give it a good spit-shine! I wish that I could help more than that, but...I'm not exactly the best writer around. Bdthemag has the perfect idea, listen to that guy! Nothing can go wrong, so don't worry 'bout it!
Ah. My preferred method of magic is similar to the type in roll to roll to dodge.

Just give me control over an element and I will go to town baby! Incidentally, RTRTD is where I got my rep ^.^ Read it over, you won't regret it.

Righty-ho, will do! I think that I had started to read it...I don't know, I've read a lot. I remember an RTD where some crazed golem-maker split her soul into, like, three different vessels, and shit just went down. Man, that was epic...Let the good times roll, eh?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2294 on: November 22, 2011, 02:20:01 am »

The beauty of a freeform RP is that you don't have to write that stuff. Give everyone a basic setting, a basic goal, and the players will fill in the gaps.
This. Just set up the stage for us to act on, and we'll handle the plot and acting.
Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 661