Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 699916 times)

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
  • This is getting personal.
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread)
« Reply #2296 on: November 22, 2011, 01:42:17 pm »

I'm kind of stuck here. I was planning on doing a simple Strength/Agility/Intelligence stat deal, with Strength increasing Max HP by 1 for every point in it, Intelligence doing the same as Strength but MP instead of HP, and Agility...Uh, yeah.

I scrapped that whole idea. How should stats work? Any grand ideas, guys? Thanks! Also: I'm using a 1d8 the core of my rolls, so...Yeah.

...Maaaaybe I'll just forgo stats altogether and just go for HP and MP...eh...
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 02:00:14 pm by Dave1004 »

Hardcap of 200 MB/24 hours.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2297 on: November 22, 2011, 02:03:34 pm »

While simplicity is usually a good thing, over-simplyfying stuff paradoxically makes it only more complicated. Add separate stats for HP and MP if must be.

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2298 on: November 22, 2011, 02:11:05 pm »

While simplicity is usually a good thing, over-simplyfying stuff paradoxically makes it only more complicated. Add separate stats for HP and MP if must be.

Uh, any ideas for how to work that then? I want a short, simple RTD...I really don't know how I should calculate this whole thing. Thanks for the tip though, I'll jot it down...

And what do you mean by separate stats for HP and MP?

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2299 on: November 22, 2011, 02:16:23 pm »

I'm kind of stuck here. I was planning on doing a simple Strength/Agility/Intelligence stat deal, with Strength increasing Max HP by 1 for every point in it, Intelligence doing the same as Strength but MP instead of HP, and Agility...Uh, yeah.

I scrapped that whole idea. How should stats work? Any grand ideas, guys? Thanks! Also: I'm using a 1d8 the core of my rolls, so...Yeah.

Aha! This shit is in my bowl now.

Stats are a way of measuring three aspects of a character, at its most basic it can simply be broken down into Physical, Mental, and Social. Each of those however can (and often will be) broken down further into more familiar sounding attributes.

Physical
>Can be broken into Strength, Endurance, Agility, Stamina, Speed, Reflexes, Vigor... (ad infinitum)
Mental
>Can be broken into Intelligence, Willpower, Mind, Wits, Arcane, Wisdom, Vim... (ad infinitum)
Social
>Can be broken into Charisma, Heart, Soul, Courage, Beauty, Guile, Tact, Verve... (ad inifitum) 

A three-fold stat system is simple to use but it is essential that one pick carefully, in this case I believe the problem is that you have two physical type stats and only one mental. You can alleviate your problem most easily by adding a single mental stat to balance it out into four, or change the agility stat to a social one.

Example: Add a Will stat to your Strength/Agility/Intelligence. Str gives MaxHP +1, Agility decreases your chance to be hit by X (a 1/6th system can work quite well), Int gives MaxMP +1, Will decreases magic damage/effect by X.

Example 2: Change agility to Heart, Str and Int function as before, Heart gives +X defense to both Physical and Magical OR it gives .5 to both MP and HP.

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2300 on: November 22, 2011, 02:21:22 pm »

Aha! This shit is in my bowl now.

Stats are a way of measuring three aspects of a character, at its most basic it can simply be broken down into Physical, Mental, and Social. Each of those however can (and often will be) broken down further into more familiar sounding attributes.

Physical
>Can be broken into Strength, Endurance, Agility, Stamina, Speed, Reflexes, Vigor... (ad infinitum)
Mental
>Can be broken into Intelligence, Willpower, Mind, Wits, Arcane, Wisdom, Vim... (ad infinitum)
Social
>Can be broken into Charisma, Heart, Soul, Courage, Beauty, Guile, Tact, Verve... (ad inifitum) 

A three-fold stat system is simple to use but it is essential that one pick carefully, in this case I believe the problem is that you have two physical type stats and only one mental. You can alleviate your problem most easily by adding a single mental stat to balance it out into four, or change the agility stat to a social one.

Example: Add a Will stat to your Strength/Agility/Intelligence. Str gives MaxHP +1, Agility decreases your chance to be hit by X (a 1/6th system can work quite well), Int gives MaxMP +1, Will decreases magic damage/effect by X.

Example 2: Change agility to Heart, Str and Int function as before, Heart gives +X defense to both Physical and Magical OR it gives .5 to both MP and HP.

You know what? I love that! Holy shit dude, that's going in there. I think that I'll go for the first one, it works PERFECTLY. Thanks for the tip...Or, more like thanks for the entire freakin' idea xD. I can finally continue my work! I'm going to start my typing immediately. Expect a status report from me in 0200 commander!

Wait, Verve is a word? I'm going to have to look that up, what the hell....Seriously though, thanks for the idea! This should fit just right.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 02:26:40 pm by Dave1004 »

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2301 on: November 22, 2011, 02:41:17 pm »

Vim, Verve, and Vigor are all synonymous with one another, and yes they are all real words.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2302 on: November 22, 2011, 02:42:48 pm »

That is...I...It...My...

Wow. That's pretty cool, in a weird way. I can't believe that there's a word that I don't know! Oh gods! The horrors, the horrors!...

I shall continue my study of the great Word Arts.

Superior_Tomato

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm waiting. . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #2303 on: November 22, 2011, 02:47:31 pm »

Due to cookies, cupcakes, exams, birthdays, and various other things, I have not been able to get on here for a long while, and I've found a rather large flaw with my plan. Mainly, the complete lack of items. That completely removes any possibility of armor, weapons, and for that matter, advanced manipulation, as most creatures completely lack grasping hands or any equivalent. So I'll probably go with another idea. My two main candidates are the Iji based RtD Derm mentioned earlier (far, far earlier), or a Witchhunter style RtD, with the witches basically being the main magical creature/user.
'Course with Dwarf Fortress, the only relevant question is, "How far away will the ASCII gibs splash on landing?"
5 squares per limb, if you raise the north orthoclase bridge before sacrificing one of them so they have a straight shot to the bottom of the chasm.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2304 on: November 22, 2011, 02:55:42 pm »

That reminds me that I still have to Phantom Hammer derm's character into oblivion.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2305 on: November 22, 2011, 03:23:51 pm »

Is anyone interested in the Ranger's Apprentice RTD ?

(Just wanted to know as I will have a sudden surge of free time soon (Both due to break, and new much easier classes in school))

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2306 on: November 22, 2011, 03:42:57 pm »

Is anyone interested in the Ranger's Apprentice RTD ?

(Just wanted to know as I will have a sudden surge of free time soon (Both due to break, and new much easier classes in school))

If it's simple enough for an idiot like me to understand, GODS YES. If not...I'll have to sit this one out.

Also, remember, I have a grade 8 education. Not exactly the brightest light-bulb around.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #2307 on: November 22, 2011, 03:48:18 pm »

I dislike the book series itself, so I'm going to have to pass.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2308 on: November 22, 2011, 04:32:51 pm »

Well I am going to post the thread soon with one slot reserved for Dave, but it might take a while longer as I want to flesh some story aspects out a bit.

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2309 on: November 22, 2011, 04:37:26 pm »

Well I am going to post the thread soon with one slot reserved for Dave, but it might take a while longer as I want to flesh some story aspects out a bit.

Woo-hoo! I'm Dave, long time reader, first time player! Go easy on me, I'm not that advanced.

Hehehe! I can wait. For as long as you want. Even if the cosmos gets tired of waiting, I'll always be there for you. In the tree outside your window.

Waiting.

Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 661