Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 699766 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread)
« Reply #2445 on: November 24, 2011, 12:24:53 am »

Has anyone thought about a Mini-RTD thread ?
Could be a bit confusing, unless the OP was more or less just a list o' links post with the beginning of the first one after the first one ends.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #2446 on: November 24, 2011, 12:26:05 am »

COUGH COUGH COLOR CODING

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2447 on: November 24, 2011, 12:42:58 am »

Enter the Matrix RTD could be interesting, food for thought while I rush off to run turns for people who will nail me to various objects otherwise. go to sleep. Damn TARICUS and his IRC!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 03:31:44 am by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2448 on: November 24, 2011, 06:53:11 am »

Ideas we came up with this morning:

-Roll to be an Imp
-a transtemporal war setting (dinosaur tanks!)
-How much can Derm fuck things up: the RTD
-Freeform RTD

Yeah we got a bit meta towards the end there.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2449 on: November 24, 2011, 09:21:40 am »

I'm definitely still interested in doing the viking RtD, Digital. Just not right at this moment, I fell asleep and now it's past midnight. :P
Damn you, messed-up sleeping schedule!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2450 on: November 24, 2011, 10:49:18 am »

-How much can Derm fuck things up: the RTD

:D
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

JackoftheBox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2451 on: November 24, 2011, 11:20:39 am »

-Roll to be an Imp

RTD about demons or devils struggling to climb the hierarchy. I've been thinking about making an RTD for a while now. Main problem being that I've never run one, rather than the lack of ideas, so could you give some tips and I'll see if I can muster the courage to come up with something.

P.S: I've ran tabletop games, so it can't be that demanding, right?
This morning I found myself looking at the numberplates of the cars on my drive in to work and seeing them as tileset characters in ASCII... a silver Renault I was behind had an interesting scene of a Human wrestling a Minotaur near a bin.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2452 on: November 24, 2011, 11:24:04 am »

-Roll to be an Imp

RTD about demons or devils struggling to climb the hierarchy. I've been thinking about making an RTD for a while now. Main problem being that I've never run one, rather than the lack of ideas, so could you give some tips and I'll see if I can muster the courage to come up with something.

I would say it's only as demanding as you make it. I mean, if you're just starting out you can do, like, four players, and no complicated rulesets or anything. Is there anything you had in mind?

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #2453 on: November 24, 2011, 11:29:34 am »

My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2454 on: November 24, 2011, 11:30:52 am »

I want to see the parts of conversation leading up to and a bit after that piece of genius right there.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

JackoftheBox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2455 on: November 24, 2011, 11:38:08 am »

-Roll to be an Imp

I would say it's only as demanding as you make it. I mean, if you're just starting out you can do, like, four players, and no complicated rulesets or anything. Is there anything you had in mind?

The problem is indeed that I always start to think about some rules that complicate things, because the ideas are usually a bit complex already, with things like magic and leadership. The ideas revolve around playing as robber barons, starting spellcasters, royal bastards who want the throne, politicians of Rome, businessmen in trade dependant cities. So I should think about something more simple thats easy enough to run as a GM at first. This thread is full of cool ideas, and anyone should be able to pick one, but my mind just always makes them sound so complicated.
This morning I found myself looking at the numberplates of the cars on my drive in to work and seeing them as tileset characters in ASCII... a silver Renault I was behind had an interesting scene of a Human wrestling a Minotaur near a bin.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #2456 on: November 24, 2011, 11:54:16 am »

I would say it's only as demanding as you make it. I mean, if you're just starting out you can do, like, four players, and no complicated rulesets or anything.

This, lots.

The things that are going to make it take up your time/be demanding are 1) complexity 2) number of players 3) how much time you want to spend on the writing to get it right and 4) (couldn't forget in a reply quoting freeform) any additional media you add. Is there a 5?

If you start one up, and it fails after a few turns, well, have you seen how many die? No one will hold it against you. If it doesn't fail, well, it's very satisfying. I really enjoy writing mine, and writing for my players.

that is to say: give it a go.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2457 on: November 24, 2011, 12:02:01 pm »

I would say it's only as demanding as you make it. I mean, if you're just starting out you can do, like, four players, and no complicated rulesets or anything.
The things that are going to make it take up your time/be demanding are 1) complexity 2) number of players 3) how much time you want to spend on the writing to get it right and 4) (couldn't forget in a reply quoting freeform) any additional media you add. Is there a 5?

lawas hit the nail on the head. I don't spend a huge amount of time on my writing in MKWRTD because the other parts of it are even more demanding. The player count is six, the ruleset is complex, there's a lot of plot and roleplaying, and, above all, stuff like media takes time. I wouldn't recommend drawing pictures or anything for your first RTD unless you're crazy like me :P

I would add that, for a 5, though perhaps part of 1, is that the more complex your RTD is, the more you have to manage the details. If MKWRTD was any more complex, managing all of the stats and abilities and such would be a nightmare. That takes a LOT of time, especially if that stuff changes turn-to-turn a lot.

In particular, the player count is probably the biggest thing. There's no way I could efficiently run an RTD with 8 players, for example.

That said, you don't have to make a big deal out of your first RTD if you don't want to, because nobody expects anything of you. Actually, anything you do will end up being beyond their expectations. Just have fun with it, RTDs come and go around here, no big deal.

The problem is indeed that I always start to think about some rules that complicate things, because the ideas are usually a bit complex already, with things like magic and leadership.

Hehehe, I actually do this too. So I know where you're coming from. Here's an idea: make your game, its related ideas and concepts as complicated as you want, but leave all rolls - even ones for casting magic, leading troops, attacking - a single 1d6. That makes it easy on yourself, and is what I'm doing with RTCA currently (...for now  :P)

JackoftheBox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2458 on: November 24, 2011, 12:35:03 pm »

Thanks for the tips guys, I'll print em out and put them under my pillow so while sleeping I'll get the maximum benefit out of them. For now, I'll just have to list some ideas, pick one that I would enjoy running and throw the worries about rules to the garbage pin.

EDIT: Yes that first sentence was supposed to be a compliment, now that I happened to reread my post it somehow felt something else.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 01:11:15 pm by JackoftheBox »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2459 on: November 24, 2011, 02:14:51 pm »

The problem is indeed that I always start to think about some rules that complicate things
Speaking of which:

Trying to work out the rules for a magic-heavy fantasy adventure/RPG thing. So far, fairly good; have a good idea what skill levels mean and how you level them, mostly know how magic will work, have a flexible plot lined up, etc.

The troubles began with melee combat. See, I'd intended skills to add directly to their respective rolls. This is fine with magic because magic takes a penalty equal to the spell level, meaning while you can certainly build up your skills and then cast completely "safe" (HA HA HA) spells, it's much more likely that you'll want to cancel out most or all of that bonus by using far more impressive and powerful spells. While I was considering adding spell equivalents (disarm, throw off cliff, etc.) to mundane skills, it's hard to see why someone would give up, say, a +3 bonus to attack or dodge when they can just butcher something or be invincible by straight attacking or defending.

And again, I've got at least three sources for bonuses here: Skills, items, and chosen benefits. Not only that, but I don't really want to say that, for instance, +2 armor doesn't exist because it'd unbalance things even more. So, all in all it's pretty easy to see how a combat-oriented character could get to the point where anything they can hit or be hit by would utterly butcher a less adept fighter, and anything balanced for a lesser fighter literally couldn't stand up to such a warrior.

I can't seem to work out a solution. I'd considered somewhat more complicated combat (Attack and Defense stats, with the bonus to your roll being Your Stat / Enemy Stat, so a 6 Attack vs 3 Defense "only" adds 2 to the roll), but that'd make each point of bonus less relevant than the last. Now I'm wondering if being forced to split attack bonus into accuracy and damage might help, but I want to keep things relatively simple (there's only one roll for each attack, for instance) and that does nothing for dodge.

Anyone have any brilliant solutions? I suppose I could go into more detail on the system if that would help.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 661