Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 173 174 [175] 176 177 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 698301 times)

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
  • This is getting personal.
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread)
« Reply #2610 on: December 01, 2011, 11:30:39 pm »

Personally, I'd prefer such an RTD set in space, either orbit or adrift.

For one thing, everything's more varied. The stuff you can use/find is more varied, the foes are more varied, the things that can go horribly, horribly right and/or wrong are more varied... there's few things more hilarious than a bunch of lunatics with no common sense flailing around in an extremely complicated vessel located in the depths of space.

I hate Sci Fi. It does sound interesting though...I could just switch it around to be a spaceship in, well, space...Survivors would be able to loot parts of the ship, and secure them, trying to hold back the waves of...Zombies! :/.

Needs zombies though. Or sparkly vampires, they're both deadly, if for different reasons.

>___>.

Hardcap of 200 MB/24 hours.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2611 on: December 01, 2011, 11:32:58 pm »

I prefer settings which allow for freeform magic myself.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2612 on: December 01, 2011, 11:33:18 pm »

...there's few things more hilarious than a bunch of lunatics with no common sense flailing around in an extremely complicated vessel located in the depths of space.

Heck yeah! Just look at Bay Station 12! :D (Or whatever the Bay12 server of SS13 is called, I forget...)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2613 on: December 01, 2011, 11:37:01 pm »

Stay away from the RTD's I make! You'd end up breaking them somehow and bringing about the apocalypse!...

Never-mind that order, make sure you join one of my RTD's. I need a proper apocalypse. Also: Freeform magic is pretty cool, but it's so hard knowing what's in the "Possible to cast" range and "Completely Im-freaking-possible" range.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2614 on: December 01, 2011, 11:41:13 pm »

Oh god, the idea I just posed but with magitech and space wizards.

NO survivors.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #2615 on: December 02, 2011, 12:21:41 am »

I've been working on my original (Albeit, crappy) RTD idea, and...It just didn't click in for me. I needed something simpler, something faster, something More Fun.

So, enter Zombie Survival RTD. Do note that this is, once again, a very rough lay-out. I'd love if anybody told me what they think of this. Regardless of opinions, I will eventually be starting this RTD.

Zombie Survival RTD
(Kinda a wall of probably badly-written text.)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Looks pretty good mechanically speaking- 2 critiques.

1- Simplifying combat. As is, that's a lot of rolling to do without player input, and you want to do that for four players twice a night against increasing swarms of enemies until they die? It'll wear you out, and not be terribly interesting to read unless you're a much better creative writer than I am. If I were running it, I'd change two things.

First, I'd abstract the Undead from a bunch of individual enemies into a swarm. Say the wave starts with 25 Undead. The defenses account for 5 of them, so 20 get through to the players. There are four players- the zombies split up into 4 groups of 5 zombies, so each player fights an Undead of strength 5. Obviously, player actions can modify this- if one guy decides to defend a hurt player he might take more than his fair share- play it by ear.

Second, I'd establish a firm time limit for the combat. Say each night has 2 combat rolls each segment, 4 for the whole night. Damage is dealt, yadda yadda yadda. Daylight comes, and the Undead disintegrate or flee or what have you. The players don't need to destroy the endless waves of zombies (after all, they can't, that's why they're endless,) they just need to survive. Winning isn't killing all the zombies that attack in the night, it's living long enough to see another dawn. It fits the mood well, and it happens to mean you don't have to roll a million rounds of combat if everyone is rolling poorly :P

2- The overarching goal could use some work, depending on how you want the game to be played. If the game is just "stab zombies until you die, and then there's nothing but the empty void of space," then players'll get bored because Losing is inevitable without any hope of an interim reward. Again, a couple ways you could play this.

The first way, as mentioned, would be to do a more plot-oriented thing where the survivors try to find the cause of the zombie apocalypse or become kings of the wasteland or whatever. The reward for seeing another dawn is delicious nibbles of plotty goodness and the feeling they're making a difference in your imaginary world.

The second way would be to do it with more of an arcadey feel. For inspiration here, I'd look to Left 4 Dead. The players have a clear goal to work towards, whether it is moving across a map to get to extraction or defending their single location while waiting for extraction. TPK is a possibility, but so is ultimate survival. What could really make this shine would be some kind of points system- rewards for killing lots of zombies, or taking the least damage, or completing secondary objectives (save the helpless survivors, anyone?) At the end of the round, you tally it all up and demonstrate how well the group did, as well as how well each individual player did. Then you can start again, and the players can try to set new high scores or out-compete previous groups. I actually had an idea for this kind of co-op/competitiveness kicking around, though I was going with a "rob the dwarves as kobolds" thing. Same basic attraction though.

In either case though, you need to mix up the setting a bit. Defending the same old house over and over? Been there, done that. Surviving the zombie apocalypse from the airport? The hospital? The zoo? A nuclear power plant? Interesting! Each new place can  present a new wrinkle on the basic rules, changing up your priorities and allowing the players to make interesting choices instead of the same old wash rinse repeat. Again, Left 4 Dead did this very well. If this game takes a "travel the world map" turn then this'll happen naturally, if it goes the "defend the location" route then you can mix it up between rounds.

And I do hope you'll link it here when it starts, I'd like to get in on the ground floor of this.

FAKEEDIT: WARNING, WHILE YOU WERE TYPING A BAJILLION NEW REPLIES HAVE BEEN POSTED

Stay away from the RTD's I make! You'd end up breaking them somehow and bringing about the apocalypse!...

Never-mind that order, make sure you join one of my RTD's. I need a proper apocalypse. Also: Freeform magic is pretty cool, but it's so hard knowing what's in the "Possible to cast" range and "Completely Im-freaking-possible" range.

Freeform magic is pretty tricky- either you go the "yeah whatever" route and let the rolls determine what is and isn't possible, or you have to do a lot of work on how each branch of magic fundamentally works. Guess which one I prefer.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2616 on: December 02, 2011, 12:47:38 am »

@Monk: That (separating the nights into 'levels' and such) sounds pretty cool.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2617 on: December 02, 2011, 12:52:27 am »

Looks pretty good mechanically speaking- 2 critiques.

1- Simplifying combat. As is, that's a lot of rolling to do without player input, and you want to do that for four players twice a night against increasing swarms of enemies until they die? It'll wear you out, and not be terribly interesting to read unless you're a much better creative writer than I am. If I were running it, I'd change two things.

First, I'd abstract the Undead from a bunch of individual enemies into a swarm. Say the wave starts with 25 Undead. The defenses account for 5 of them, so 20 get through to the players. There are four players- the zombies split up into 4 groups of 5 zombies, so each player fights an Undead of strength 5. Obviously, player actions can modify this- if one guy decides to defend a hurt player he might take more than his fair share- play it by ear.

Second, I'd establish a firm time limit for the combat. Say each night has 2 combat rolls each segment, 4 for the whole night. Damage is dealt, yadda yadda yadda. Daylight comes, and the Undead disintegrate or flee or what have you. The players don't need to destroy the endless waves of zombies (after all, they can't, that's why they're endless,) they just need to survive. Winning isn't killing all the zombies that attack in the night, it's living long enough to see another dawn. It fits the mood well, and it happens to mean you don't have to roll a million rounds of combat if everyone is rolling poorly :P

Hmm. Well, to be honest, on the second part, that's how it works. Day comes, and the Undead flee. Your method of combat is admittedly better, so I think that I'll be going with that...You're right, my idea would be a lot of work and a lot of boring. Thanks for the input! You've always been giving me great advice, I need to start putting it to use >_>. I think that this will fit in really well with the RTD, so you have my appreciation!

I was going with the 1 day turn/2 actions and 3 nights/varying waves, so I think that I can incorporate this quite well!

2- The overarching goal could use some work, depending on how you want the game to be played. If the game is just "stab zombies until you die, and then there's nothing but the empty void of space," then players'll get bored because Losing is inevitable without any hope of an interim reward. Again, a couple ways you could play this.

The first way, as mentioned, would be to do a more plot-oriented thing where the survivors try to find the cause of the zombie apocalypse or become kings of the wasteland or whatever. The reward for seeing another dawn is delicious nibbles of plotty goodness and the feeling they're making a difference in your imaginary world.

The second way would be to do it with more of an arcadey feel. For inspiration here, I'd look to Left 4 Dead. The players have a clear goal to work towards, whether it is moving across a map to get to extraction or defending their single location while waiting for extraction. TPK is a possibility, but so is ultimate survival. What could really make this shine would be some kind of points system- rewards for killing lots of zombies, or taking the least damage, or completing secondary objectives (save the helpless survivors, anyone?) At the end of the round, you tally it all up and demonstrate how well the group did, as well as how well each individual player did. Then you can start again, and the players can try to set new high scores or out-compete previous groups. I actually had an idea for this kind of co-op/competitiveness kicking around, though I was going with a "rob the dwarves as kobolds" thing. Same basic attraction though.

In either case though, you need to mix up the setting a bit. Defending the same old house over and over? Been there, done that. Surviving the zombie apocalypse from the airport? The hospital? The zoo? A nuclear power plant? Interesting! Each new place can  present a new wrinkle on the basic rules, changing up your priorities and allowing the players to make interesting choices instead of the same old wash rinse repeat. Again, Left 4 Dead did this very well. If this game takes a "travel the world map" turn then this'll happen naturally, if it goes the "defend the location" route then you can mix it up between rounds.

And I do hope you'll link it here when it starts, I'd like to get in on the ground floor of this.

Hmm...Damn. I don't know how to fully reply to this, but HELL YES! I'm more for veering towards the "Arcade" style, since I want an RTD that people can join, and die, quickly. I'll definitely have to work on that, but I think your pointers will make that a lot easier...I'm not much of a story-teller, but I could cook something up in a pinch, even if it's kinda...burnt and stale.

Your comment on Left 4 Dead gave me a pretty good idea. The points system will be great, and I can use the whole "Rescue Survivors!" thing to drop new players into the game; - That would keep things fresh. I still want to keep the whole "You'll probably die eventually" thing, but I'll definitely do it like you said. I may just have it so that you can travel from place to place (As you mentioned), and try and survive. If you stay in one place too long, then the Undead will get stronger and more numerous. Moving to a new location will alleviate some of the tension, but it always has risks...That means that I can add a new system to the RTD, which is more "Get to the destination" than "Survive the hordes!"...

I want the RTD to be open-ended, but I don't want it to be total chaos. It's no fun when you're playing, and some other guy bashes your brains in. I do want to keep the maximum players at a low number, so that turns come out faster and cleaner...I wonder if I should have a type of "Reward" mechanism for those who get a whole bunch of points...I'll start working on a score chart now, but it'll have to be more unique than something like "Kill X Zombies for Y points". Maybe special Achievements that players can unlock for a bonus? Temporary boosts, or maybe items? Hmm...Oh gods! Monk12, you've given me so many ideas, that I think I'm going to have a heart attack just trying to get everything together!

Right, I'll be setting on this ASAP. Thanks for the inspiration, man! This RTD may actually turn out pretty good!...If I can handle it correctly. If not, well, rinse and repeat, aye?

Freeform magic is pretty tricky- either you go the "yeah whatever" route and let the rolls determine what is and isn't possible, or you have to do a lot of work on how each branch of magic fundamentally works. Guess which one I prefer.

Thanks for the reading material! I didn't even know that you had something like THIS going on...Dammit! I've been out of the loop...again!

One final time, thank you for your patronage! You shall be rewarded with vodka and cyanide. Imbibe heartily, my grandiose friend!

Quick Edit: My writing might seem a bit confusing, I honestly need some more sleep. Forgive me for any horrible errors, for my flaws are many. You know, I used to make RTD's too, but then I took an arrow to the knee...

Talarion

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold as ice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2618 on: December 02, 2011, 01:57:29 am »

So I had a thought. I'm okay at making games, horrible at running them... I like freeform magic. If I made a system, or helped make it or whatever... would anyone be willing to GM it?

Just wanted to see if anyone would before I started working on it.
Fate/Stay Night: OOC thread - Serious talk about the canon characters' bisexuality, gravity rape, Noble Phantasm balance, Tiruin's character level of dumbness versus naivete, how sick and tainted my mind is, linguistics and much more.

What more do you need?

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2619 on: December 02, 2011, 02:31:21 am »

@topic of freeform magic: Gotta make a pic of loface-wizard.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2620 on: December 02, 2011, 02:33:48 am »

Guys! You guys! You ain't gonna believe it! I actually updated!!

No kidding. :D I'm actually rather fond of this Update, too!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #2621 on: December 02, 2011, 04:14:27 am »

So I had a thought. I'm okay at making games, horrible at running them... I like freeform magic. If I made a system, or helped make it or whatever... would anyone be willing to GM it?

What kind of a game?

Talarion

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold as ice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2622 on: December 02, 2011, 04:24:24 am »

What kind of a game?

Oh, forgot to say. Well I kinda did but I didn't.

Leaning towards Fantasy, probably Medieval. Magic, different schools, ways to research/create new magics (If I get non-lazy enough) stuff like that. Magic based, although I'm sure I/we could develop cool features for non-Mages/Magical entities aswell... Co-development: It's a wonderful phrase.

It ain't no passing craze

(Or is it?)
Fate/Stay Night: OOC thread - Serious talk about the canon characters' bisexuality, gravity rape, Noble Phantasm balance, Tiruin's character level of dumbness versus naivete, how sick and tainted my mind is, linguistics and much more.

What more do you need?

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #2623 on: December 02, 2011, 04:37:35 am »

Hmm, I don't know if I could keep up enthusiasm for running something that wasn't mine. And I think that most rtds start from that "ooh, that's an awesome idea" spark that someone has for themselves...

Maybe if you posted more of an intro someone would think "ooh, that's an awesome idea" and want to do it. I think I am too invested in my current rtd(s) and next idea to take on something that I might not be able to do justice to.

Also, I'm not sure I could make a significant departure from my general stylistic niche, so to speak, although I'd love to try sometime.

Do you have a plot idea? Or just the world/mechanic idea?

Talarion

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold as ice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2624 on: December 02, 2011, 04:39:31 am »

This has all been kind of 'top of the brain' thinking, so to speak. I can't be bothered thinking too deeply right now (Just finished school for the year today, thought is irrelevant.)

But I can think of it.. I'm generally good at thinking of world settings and stories. The only thing I'm bad at is the dedication aspect >.>

What more do you need?
Pages: 1 ... 173 174 [175] 176 177 ... 661