Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 698306 times)

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread)
« Reply #3165 on: January 04, 2012, 09:53:50 pm »

Find out in...

Robo-Whale Hunter 3000: The RTD
This is awesome, but strikes me as one of those silly, very short-lived RTDs. :(
Yes, it does seem like one of those. But generally, short-lived RTDs are run by GMs who fail to expand on a premise that starts out promising. I pride myself on taking flagrantly stupid and ridiculous premises and turning them into well-fleshed-out universes. Because dumb ideas taking themselves seriously is the best kind of fiction.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #3166 on: January 04, 2012, 10:08:16 pm »

Find out in...

This is awesome, but strikes me as one of those silly, very short-lived RTDs. :(
Yes, it does seem like one of those. But generally, short-lived RTDs are run by GMs who fail to expand on a premise that starts out promising. I pride myself on taking flagrantly stupid and ridiculous premises and turning them into well-fleshed-out universes. Because dumb ideas taking themselves seriously is the best kind of fiction.

I've seen the "stupid premise but let's run with it" evolve in a couple ways. I've seen the "dumb idea but later justifies itself" work in El Goonish Shive, and I've seen "ridiculous idea that constantly one-ups itself" in Dr. McNinja.

...dammit, now I want McNinjaverse the RTD.

Both of which would make excellent settings for an RTD.

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
  • Pay no attention to the Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #3167 on: January 04, 2012, 10:14:15 pm »

Both of those webcomics are usually tremendously silly, though recent fits of Cerberus Syndrome is cutting back on the silly. Even if EGS promised they were bringing silly back.
The 'verses would be cool places to have an RTD, but the obscure rules and such would need to be explained in detail.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #3168 on: January 04, 2012, 10:14:54 pm »

Find out in...

I've seen "ridiculous idea that constantly one-ups itself" in Dr. McNinja.
http://drmcninja.com/archives/comic/20p67/

^Read the alt-text^
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3169 on: January 04, 2012, 10:23:06 pm »

In case you're wondering, that's apparently the Ghostbusters theme song.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #3170 on: January 04, 2012, 10:24:03 pm »

Find out in...

I've seen "ridiculous idea that constantly one-ups itself" in Dr. McNinja.
http://drmcninja.com/archives/comic/20p67/

^Read the alt-text^

Hang on, I'm reading Death Volley right now. Also, why is there no Legends of the Hidden Temple RTD yet?

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3171 on: January 04, 2012, 10:30:18 pm »

Well, if I had the actual stanzas, metre, tempo, et-al, I could accurately tell you.
But the rhythm looks like it, yes. Sort of.
I do this all the time, nobody's ever complained about it. I even get some players that don't sign up for, say, Dwarmin or Draignean's games, so apparently some people even prefer it, or prefer the update speed/concepts that come with it.
Very well. Someone throw me a very simple plot bone, and I might just run with it.
I will warn you guys right now, I tend toward the Gygaxian belief, as a GM.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3172 on: January 04, 2012, 10:37:51 pm »

Anime magical girl genre, due to an accident involving crashing into a satellite, powers get transferred to five random American (Or country of origin of choice) guys than the intended vague late teen aged Japanese girls with impossible hair colors. Hilarity ensues, comedy orientated.

(This idea (or something closely resembling it) has been bugging me for the past two years and I can't do anything with it because of shit artistic ability.)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 10:40:07 pm by dermonster »
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #3173 on: January 04, 2012, 10:38:11 pm »

A simple plot?
How bout X is doing Y, and you are a Z who must stop him.
And that is the storyline, exactly.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3174 on: January 04, 2012, 10:38:13 pm »

Anything that insinuates running an RTD is something anyone can just do, and/or anything that looks interesting enough to read just because. Personally, I think a guide fulfills both those conditions better than a FAQ.
See, this is where my opinion differs. I see it easier to understand
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
than
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I guess I just read better when everything is separated into very orderly parts.

I don't think mentioning examples as a starting point is needlessly skewed. Sure, there's infinite ways to do everything, but providing a simple base example is probably better than rattling off an example of every style we think we've got or giving a vague handwave of "figure something out." If it's appropriate I could see mentioning several different examples or mention that however you want to do it is fine every so often, but the point is to get someone started, not dictate the specifics of all new GMs.
You may be right, but that still doesn't ease my worries. Nor does it prove my points wrong.

Meh. Just make damn sure to give several examples when absolutely basic examples won't work.

This may be true. Perhaps a guide's first piece of advice should be to read RTDs you like and ruthlessly steal from them.
Agreed. Better yet, give another piece of advice: Be a player before a GM, so you know what you like and don't like. AND what the players like.

Very well. Someone throw me a very simple plot bone, and I might just run with it.
Kingdom X is in peril. Recently, Ys have been invading the kingdom, and they need help. They need heroes. They need you, Zs.

There, very simple plot bone. I'm pretty sure you would want something more complex.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #3175 on: January 04, 2012, 10:40:40 pm »

Well, if I had the actual stanzas, metre, tempo, et-al, I could accurately tell you.
But the rhythm looks like it, yes. Sort of.
I do this all the time, nobody's ever complained about it. I even get some players that don't sign up for, say, Dwarmin or Draignean's games, so apparently some people even prefer it, or prefer the update speed/concepts that come with it.
I will warn you guys right now, I tend toward the Gygaxian belief, as a GM.

That would be the "Murder your players but don't cheat" theory, mmmyes? :P

And yes, that is the Ghostbusters theme. I forget why, but it is necessary for him to sing it in order to hit ghosts. It was pretty ridiculous, in keeping with Dr McNinja.

Anywho, simple game plot? A villain has stolen your sandwich, go get it back! No rules no stats no bonuses no penalties, just fast and dirty sandwich-grabbing action!

EDIT: NINJAS!

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3176 on: January 04, 2012, 10:49:18 pm »

That would be the "Murder your players but don't cheat" theory, mmmyes? :P
Close to. I do tend to be alittle more lenient, so it's more "Put your player's through their worst nightmares, deny them their rewards, and make them sob quietly into their dice-bags, but don't cheat"
Some might say it's worse.

Also: I thought the idea of a steampunk was pretty cool, so... steam-punk magical girls who explicitly are the wrong people. Because let's make it as complex as possible. Just for the !!Fun!! of it.

I'll get the page up in a span of time that suits my needs for a few basic mechanics and such.
Probably around an hour and a half, plus time to develop broad, actual plot beyond monster of the week.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3177 on: January 04, 2012, 10:51:09 pm »

Steam punk? Awww...

Don't get me wrong, The genre is fine, I just really don't like RTD'ing it.

Plus I was kinda planning to get a rifle, enchant if up, and blast the hell outta the MOTWs.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #3178 on: January 04, 2012, 10:57:33 pm »

Steam Rifle. If the setting leans towards Gaslamp, then enchanting will work, otherwise whatever the ridiculous mechanist ability is will accomplish the same effect.

And post here when the thread is up, I'd get in on that.

In other news, typing Steam Rifle made me reflect on Recycled IN SPACE, so now I'm jonesing for a Space RTD where you take your Space Ship to some place In Space and fight Space Aliens with your Space Gun while wearing your Space Armor. So basically the Mad Lib RTD but with "SPACE" supplied for all blanks :P

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3179 on: January 04, 2012, 10:58:45 pm »

Save me a spot by the way. I might not be up.
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 661