Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 278 279 [280] 281 282 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 698301 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

Pre-in? @Darvi? :)

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Darvi said he'll throw any pre-ins into the waitlist.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile

Would anyone be interested in Roll To Paranoia? A game of Paranoia, except with simplified RTD rules.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile

Would anyone be interested in Roll To Paranoia? A game of Paranoia, except with simplified RTD rules.

I've never played, but from what I hear it sounds like great fun. I'd be most interested to see what you do with the concept.

Anyway! I'm currently farting about with some Sponsorship rules for my Mario Kart RTD. I'm trying to flesh out the metagame aspect to be as full as the racing bits by providing some guiding rules for what sponsors can and cannot do and how they interact with one another, and from there derive a system where players can take control of an existing sponsorship group or create one of their own. I'm also hoping to get a PR aspect in there to reflect each driver/sponsor's public image, so I can give them choices between Image, Fame, and Coin (rule of 3 and all.)

Spoiler: Sponsor Stats (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Sponsor Actions (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Events (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Image (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Sponsor Industries (click to show/hide)

To Do: MOAR EVENTS, Handling Sponsors that have more than one Industry, creating rules for generating a new Sponsor, flesh out Bounties. Questions, Comments, Suggestions welcome!

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile

Darvi said he'll throw any pre-ins into the waitlist.
Ohohohoh even better.

I'll put them on a blacklist. >:D

Anyways, rolls.

Basically, every non-trivial action has a prerequisite in 1-3 stats. They should always be exclusively physical or mental, as anything that would require both could be split up into two different tasks. (For instance, a block moving puzzle a la Zelda would be a)figuring out how to move the blocks (requiring Int) and b)actually moving them (which need Str). That can easily be done by separate people).

If one is better or worse than needed, the rolls are affected correspondingly. Straight boni or penalties are unrealistic though (I mean even somebody unskilled can do something incredible, and even a genius can fail). So instead, the amount of dice changes.

-The character's stat is appropriate for the task: Roll once. Take result. Simple.
-Stat is 1 degree better: Roll 2d8, take the better result. A 1 is always taken though, unless the other dice is an 8.
-Stat is 2 degrees better: As above, but with 3d8. If you have 2 1's and one 8 then the 1's override the 8.
-Stat is 3 better or above: As above, but 1's are ignored (unless you have a mutant snake's eyes i.e. 3 1's, you unlucky sod).
-Stat is 1 worse: Roll 2d8, take worse result. A 8 is always taken though, unless there's a 1 too.
-Stat is 2 worse: As above, but with 3d8. 2 8's override a single 1, though.
-Stat is 3 or more worse: As above, but 8's are ignored unless you beat the 1 in 512 chance of getting 3 8's. You also get hit by your teammates for attempting something so obviously stupid.

I'm still thinking about how critical rerolls should be affected, but they probably won't.

Health is special. One gets 5 health per degree. Unless one has worse than terrible health, in which case one still has 1 health.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile

I was thinking while riding the bus today about making a "Roll to be a Planeswalker RTD." I'll elaborate in a bit but I have to walk my dog in the meantime.

Edit: Specifically, a Magic the Gathering RTD where everyone chooses a color/combination of colors/chooses colorless and then they choose a few spells and begin on an adventure of the planes!

This is where things get technical, and I suggest knowing MTG.
So the combat system, with all of MTG's stats, is going to probably end up pretty complicated. Planeswalker v planeswaler or similar combat will be easy, as it's just normal combat, but for creature-creature/ planeswalker-creature things get more complicated.
I'm thinking for every point of P/T above and below 2, they get/lose a point of bonus (this would use d8), so say a 11 human would have -1-1 onlols at this and ca attack/defense rolls but a 3/3 beast would have +1/+1. Planeswalkers would get bonuses and penalties by skills and would (usually) tend not to rely upon main combat. (Gideon Jura laughs at this and caves in faces)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 06:52:06 pm by Powder Miner »

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well here is what I got so far for the Space Marine RTD
Spoiler: Character Sheet (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Organizations (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Stats (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Abilities (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Equipment (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Combat (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Psykers, & Powers (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Sanity (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Companions (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Crafting (click to show/hide)

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Nice going so far. Will you add things such as Chapter-specific weapons, like the Psybolter and Nemesis weapons?
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Lets stay simple there,  :P, for the benefit of those who don't know much about Warhammer 40k.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Lets stay simple there,  :P, for the benefit of those who don't know much about Warhammer 40k.
If you want me to be straightforward:
a) If you want a female character, Adeptus Sororitas(Sisters of Battle). They are fanatics, but they are agile and stuff.

b) If you want a SPESSS MAHREENN, WARRIOR OF THE EMPRAH, I suggest you pick...Uh...Tiruin, I am sorry to say, but your archetype looks like an Ultramarine. Dis' a sad day indeed.
You could also try a Black Templar, Grey Knight (I'm picking this one, I guess. Maybe not, because I don't wanna break cannon by being tainted) or Imperial Fist. If you want blitz tactics, White Scars or Raven Guard.

Of course, if the GM gets to add those chapters.
>Yes?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((No, I meant the generalization for other players. I know enough that the Sisters of Battle (female counterparts) play a role, but are not exactly Space Marines, per se. What I did mean is the factions, I don't know enough about the temperament of each, but I like the color blue of the Ultramarines and Macragge. Grey Knights are revered  :P . I'd pick the Space Wolves, if a Space Marine Legion could be chosen.

And the topping, I don't get why people pronounce the Space Marines in CAPITALS and phonetically. Or is it by how they say it in high gothic or in their warcries?))

Edit: Sisters of Battle, yep, truly know how their righteous fervor goes. Purge them by flame.

Edit II: Pre-in adwarf? And thanks, Caellath
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 09:57:01 pm by Tiruin »

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You can state your chapter in your bio which may or may not give you bonuses.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile

*raises hand* Angry marines?
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((No, I meant the generalization for other players. I know enough that the Sisters of Battle (female counterparts) play a role, but are not exactly Space Marines, per se. What I did mean is the factions, I don't know enough about the temperament of each, but I like the color blue of the Ultramarines and Macragge. Grey Knights are revered  :P . I'd pick the Space Wolves, if a Space Marine Legion could be chosen.

And the topping, I don't get why people pronounce the Space Marines in CAPITALS and phonetically. Or is it by how they say it in high gothic or in their warcries?))
1- Ultramarines are the "Ace" among the Marines, or so the fluff tries to shove down our throat. They are widely hated not because they think they are better than other chapters, they are hated because the fluff (lol, Matt) tries to convince other players that they really are. Space Wolves are the viking Astartes. Oh yeah, I forgot them. Pick Thunderwolf Cavalry, they ride giant wolves.

2- SPESSS MAHREENSS is a W40k meme.

Edit: If you want information on temperament, ask me later.
Space Wolves= Aforementioned Space Vikings.
Ultramarines= Follow the Codex Astartes by the letter, are usually assigned as leaders of multi-chapter groups, have problems with "rebel" chapters, such as the Wolves, Templars, etc.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 09:55:08 pm by Caellath »
>Yes?

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile

FINE, IGNORE ME THEN *cue temper fit*
Pages: 1 ... 278 279 [280] 281 282 ... 661