Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 330 331 [332] 333 334 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 698312 times)

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (Lawas knows where I live)
« Reply #4965 on: August 02, 2012, 04:18:53 pm »

So, hows the weather? who's interested in the RTD idea I posted up there?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4966 on: August 02, 2012, 04:37:33 pm »

Someone should just keep an eternal anonymous deathmatch as a RtD. Maybe with a matches system.

I wonder how it would keep on going, there must obviously be a driving force to it, as it seems that the concept has been tried before and burned out due to the heavy casualty rate without rewards reached.  :P

Meaning: I'm guessing the win-condition for the deathmatch doesn't have enough tension?
This is a good point. You might be better off changing it to where players are calling the shots, not fighting in the ring, so that their victories can increase their gladiator school's/pokemon gym's/insane wizard's tower's money/prestige/resources/golfball collections and their defeats just hurt the same, rather than their victories getting them a new sword that they lose when they die in a few rounds anyway.

Of course, even then you'd probably want some higher goal that they hope to achieve by amassing golfballs by breeding the strongest warriors. "The ability to breed even stronger warriors" could suffice, but something more ambitious would probably be better.

So, hows the weather? who's interested in the RTD idea I posted up there?
Personally, I think it'd be better without the endgoal part. It's all about the journey, not the destination, you know? :P

More seriously, it seems tacked on. A game should generally be about what it's about, not something else. I guess what I'm saying is that I dislike "and this is how you win and the game ends" conditions.

Also not massively fond of the Intergalactic Referee/Boss part. I suppose it's a convenient way to handwave in or out things that are hard to explain or explain away otherwise, but it seems to lose a lot of the gravity when it's less a real war and more an elaborate recruiting scheme or board game.

Still seems interesting otherwise, but I'm still not getting a particularly good grip on the intended flow.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

BlasterKyubey210

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's ride
    • View Profile
« Reply #4967 on: August 02, 2012, 05:09:39 pm »

Alpha Centauri Humans
the Schwartz
Nano-Auged
non-Auged
Biotics
Otome system
Helios AI
Without being familiar with Mai-Otome, it's hard to figure out what exactly this game would be about. Magical girls battling aliens sounds interesting, though.

Elaboration: Alpha Centauri was a planet I picked at random (it is implied in Mai-Otome, it takes place on an Earth-like planet, though not named)

The term "Nano-Aug" is a Deus Ex term, as well as Helios AI, while Schwartz is actually the name of the enemy Organization in Mai-Otome. When I did some welding, it's possible to be Nano-Auged and not be tied to the Otome system

Mass Effect stuff is really to give non-Augmented characters some kind of advantage, though having several Biotic Implant chips shoved onto your head is (funny enough) Augmentation itself.

Secondary PC Objectives - Secret PMs sent to either help or sabatage the team (possibly secret spies for the various enemies, or the PCs in general having their own agendas)
Also interesting. Would this help or sabotage be on specific goals ("don't let anyone damage the complex," "make sure the Guardian's Light is scuttled") or more sweeping, general objectives ("help your friends," "murder your friends")?

Both aspects apply: Sweeping goals like "Eliminate X targets", are thrown in as well as more specifics such as "Prevent the Destruction of the Helios AI" (so some can help, others are outright counter-productive, so you need to think on how to get out of this one) and other scenarios for taking shots at the situlation at hand (also based on background). Keep in mind you need to keep your Secondaries a secret, just in case you and your friends have contradictory Secondaries

So far, I got several general ones, and a few Specifics down somewhere, though whoever gets saddled with "Eliminate [Name withheld]" when he's practically the strongest Nano-Auged on the planet... better pray to god...

I may need help doing character stating, and to run a few tests on Hit location...

xiphoniii

• Bay Watcher
  • Cheeky son of a...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4968 on: August 02, 2012, 08:14:20 pm »

Alpha Centauri isn't a planet, for the record. It's the closest star to our solar system.

BlasterKyubey210

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's ride
    • View Profile
« Reply #4969 on: August 02, 2012, 09:00:47 pm »

Huh, whoops... I must be throwing darts at the Galaxy map and missed...

Anyhow, I'll recall it as "Planet Avalon" then, but it's for future reference... sorry for messing up.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 09:03:46 pm by BlasterKyubey210 »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4970 on: August 03, 2012, 01:55:21 am »

Guys, I kinda need advice. I'm updating my RTD, and whilst I'm being careful not to ramble too much, there are still a few paragraphs, with a mixture of dialogue and description.
Any suggestions for how to make the dialogue stand out a bit? :-\ Should I just italicise it? I usually prefer to use italics for emphasis, though. How about bolding, too hard on the eyes?

...Should I just give the major NPCs dialogue colours?!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4971 on: August 03, 2012, 02:56:16 am »

Choose your favorite from below. Yes you can combine them if you want, but I would suggest against using Bold Italic.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 02:59:56 am by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #4972 on: August 03, 2012, 02:59:10 am »

Colored. Easy to read, easy to attribute as a GM's voice for main NPCs.

And easy to just click > scroll to desired color, I'm not sure why it needs much effort.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4973 on: August 03, 2012, 03:04:04 am »

@Tarran: Hmm... Thanks for that!
You know, I think overall the bold method is best in terms of work required vs result.
Seeing as I am terrible at deciding on speech colours and already have a habit of overusing line breaks, heh.
I'll trial it, anyway. :)

@Sudden Tiruin: We-ell... I never like using the stock colours all that much, myself. :-\ I end up spending ages poring over some html colours list trying to decide what suits a character. And if a couple/few players all have coloured dialog, I'm going to be limiting their choices...
(In the past I've often ended up forgetting to use said dialogue colours again, anyway.)

I guess I could use a colour for a handful really integral NPCs, and use simple bolded text for less-important ones.
Whatever I end up doing, I'll have to finish the update later, getting kicked off the computer right now. Ack.
Booze is Life for Yoink

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4974 on: August 03, 2012, 03:12:46 am »

And easy to just click > scroll to desired color, I'm not sure why it needs much effort.
You have to remember the colors for which NPCs. So rather than just, say, bolding the text, you have to either keep their colors in your mind or continually look back for the colors. Compared to the others, it takes way more effort.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4975 on: August 03, 2012, 03:14:30 am »

Yeah, when I'm working on something and using coloured dialogue, I generally copy the color tag to the clipboard and past as needed. I guess with multiple colours, you could just have them in a .txt file...
Booze is Life for Yoink

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4976 on: August 03, 2012, 03:30:10 am »

Seeing as I am terrible at deciding on speech colours

Just don't use the dark blue he was using. It's unreadable on Darkling.
Love, scriver~

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4977 on: August 03, 2012, 03:43:05 am »

Yeah, when I'm working on something and using coloured dialogue, I generally copy the color tag to the clipboard and past as needed.
Even with copying tags, multiple colors requires going back and forth.

I guess with multiple colours, you could just have them in a .txt file...
Good point, but that still takes more effort than the others. Especially once you start adding more and more NPCs.

Seeing as I am terrible at deciding on speech colours

Just don't use the dark blue he was using. It's unreadable on Darkling.
On the other hand, don't pick too bright colors. They're unreadable on Core.

And that's another problem with colors: Since the Core and Darkling themes are so different in background color, you have to pick a middle color or you'll have people struggling to read it.

Also, that was just regular forum blue.

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness
« Reply #4978 on: August 03, 2012, 05:21:42 am »

That was regular forum LIGHT Blue. You lieeed
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4979 on: August 03, 2012, 05:45:48 am »

I think he means the blue I complained about,
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 330 331 [332] 333 334 ... 661