Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 345 346 [347] 348 349 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 698323 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (Dermonster-First and Five Thousandth)
« Reply #5190 on: September 13, 2012, 07:58:31 am »

@GUNIN: Flexible plotline. :))

Keep most things simple, use simple mechanics like the good ol' 1d6 for everything. Provide a general setting where complete newbies (like me) who do not know the source material, are able to settle in nicely.

Or you could complicate your life and make everything canon, pointing everything out. When we get it and act, watch as we all roll 1s and 6s. Joy!

All up to you though, but as it's being scientific, and in space, count me as a reservee.
Very flexible plot line.
Nothing will be canon, because…. well, theres very little to be made canon. Like I said, this was the good old days of random sh'm'ups. Thats why Defender 2002 just bugs (heh. I maed joke :P) the living hell out of me. The writers created a living breathing universe that they were expecting the gamers to be able to explore, and then the designers created a game that only showcased a small part of it. Its definitely one of the few sci-fi games where I actually care about the aliens and wonder, "how can we possibly beat these guys?!". That it at least manages to do well. You really feel like a hero whenever you win a mission, and I always get a bit depressed when I watch the intro. :(

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (Dermonster-First and Five Thousandth)
« Reply #5191 on: September 13, 2012, 03:53:06 pm »

The Year is 2174. In this far future, humanity has just set it's first steps to explore the universe. Over the past 30 years, 7 ships have been sent to a remote star, called Gliese 876, over 15 lightyears away. These massive ships will take more than 50 years to reach their destination. All humans on the ships are in cryo, and none of them are expected to return. Communications with Earth are consistent, and remarkably fast, thanks to Heisenberg encoding protocol, which uses Quantum effects to transmit data instantaniously.

There are 6 planets in orbit around Gliese, which is only a small red dwarf star. Of these, 2 are in the habitable zone. While the planets themselves are inhospitable due to the fact that they are gas Giants, the moons are not. By the time you arrive, a colony should have been set up, and you should be able to start your work immediatly. Please note that by boarding on this mission, you have automatically signed up for the Human enhancement project. By using a combination of genetic and mechanical modifications, your future live in the colony will be made much easier.

... (Note to self, finish plot.)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5192 on: September 13, 2012, 11:48:32 pm »

Spoiler: Tribe Game Thing (click to show/hide)

The "Focus on the Hero" idea intrigues me, as that could be a good way to make the game more interesting to play without deviating too far from your established army mechanics. Obviously, adding more decisionmaking to the Hero is the hard part about that. Probably the most direct route would be to give the Hero more (and more powerful) abilities while keeping AP regeneration fairly low. That way, players have to balance AP management against the gains they would get for an immediate boost in the battle- is the current push worth leaving my Hero vulnerable? Is the gain worth not having enough AP to activate the more powerful ability for another few turns? It makes the game revolve around Heroes Doing Cool Shit, ideally in Big Climactic Battles.
So, taking a break from this for a minute, partially to maybe steal some of the mechanics, I'm now considering a Dungeon Keeper game with some tribal themes going on. Specifically, the same simplified unit stats, army combining rules (but probably not damage distribution) and possibly combat resolution, but mostly different eveything else. For instance, rather than endless automatic waves, you have discrete units wandering around.

All units can gain experience, and thus level up their stats or special abilities. I'm not sure entirely how leveling up would work, specifically whether each unit would amass xp and then spend it on various traits, or whether units would just gain a levelup at a certain xp threshold and then choose from available options, but it'd be pretty simple regardless. Available special abilities would depend on the unit's type and possibly access to other things (training rooms, equipment, living next to elemental phenomenon, etc).

There'd still be base building elements, but they'd be a fair bit more complex, since you're managing your own subterranean empire of evil rather than just a primitive camp of warmongering savages. Specifically, you'd have workers dig out rooms and then spend resources to officially transform them into useful structures. It'd also have a lot of minion management, because your slaves would eat, sleep, demand entertainment, and generally go off and do whatever they felt like unless you were standing over them with an ironshod cudgel.

Finally, players would probably be working together, though I can't swear to that. Due to the complexity involved (specifically, the number of units that might get involved) I might need to force players to track their own stuff. Not ideal, not least of all because I'm guessing it's more error-prone than GM tracking, but I'm not sure I can handle more than a handful of players with more than a handful of units without it.

So if there's any problems or brilliant ideas regarding just that, I'd love to hear about them, but what I'm really wondering about is the exact flavor and tone. I could go Dungeon Keeper's sort of dark humor with silliness thrown in, of course. I could shy away from that, but I'm not too sure how entertaining playing a pacifist monster lord is going to be. I could also go the other way and make it less silly, but that might be kinda dark. The option I'm mainly considering is just making everything a bit, er, cartoony or video game like, I suppose; impaling corpses on spikes tends to feel a lot less severe when you just saw them spawn from a barracks or whatever, but that might cheapen the game a bit, for pretty much the exact same reason.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5193 on: September 16, 2012, 05:29:31 pm »

Hey, here's a basic concept for a game. What do you guys think?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5194 on: September 16, 2012, 05:44:08 pm »

Sounds quite a bit too generic for my tastes. Still, I'm sure somebody would be interested.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5195 on: September 16, 2012, 06:05:09 pm »

I came up with a basic character creation system useful for RtDs, so I figure I'd post it here proper:
Six stats, which are Strength, Vitality, Magic, Resist, Intelligence, and Instinct.

Classes are built focusing on the first two (Body), the middle two (Spirit), or the last two (Mind)
You can have a pure class (1d6 on non-specialties, 2d10 take highest for specialty), or mixes:
the main class is 2d8 take highest, the subclass is 1d8, the other group gets 1d6.

Races can modify however, i had a simple +1,-1 system.

You can use these basic six however, high Minds are good at detecting and dodging traps and being sneaky, high Spirits are strong mages capable of shrugging off status effects, and high Body types can take many hits and dish out powerful ones.

There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5196 on: September 16, 2012, 06:43:18 pm »

Hey, here's a basic concept for a game. What do you guys think?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
But what's the main game like? Is it a series of raids? Can you plan where you go? Does it matter? How do you decide/determine/generate targets? How is loot handled? Is there honor, notoriety, or something similar?

Basically, this is too brief a pitch to have much of an opinion on.

Spoiler: Dungeon Keeper Stuff (click to show/hide)
Also, as long as I'm here, addendum to this:

I've now been reminded why I keep not making a DK game in the first place- I can never figure out how group battles will work. Specifically, the nice, simple, elegant solution I worked out for the tribal game won't work here, because each unit is distinct, unique, and relatively persistent, as opposed to a faceless automated mook that'll be replaced in three rounds.

Even more specifically, the tribal game system means melee troops always, always die before ranged ones, barring hero abilities or similar. That's no good for this more elaborate setup for two reasons. The first is that it makes having melee troops somewhat disadvantageous compared to ranged ones- your frontliners will be in constant danger of being clubbed (which isn't the same as dying permanently, but can still be risky or a hassle), while some rearline sloth's 1 HP cannons can fire away with impunity.

The second is just that it makes combat a lot less dynamic and interesting. Again, with the tribal game this isn't as big an issue, because it's designed to be simple and for the combat part to be a side show to whatever your hero is doing or a consequence of how your lane is built in general. In this game, neither of those are true- battles between your mooks and enemy forces will be very important, and it should be a major source of decisionmaking.

The only "good" solution I've come up with so far involves randomly rolling for each unit's target, then rolling for whether they hit or not. If the target is a rearliner (and possibly if the attacker is melee, though I've considered making it difficult for ranged units to attack each other through their meat walls as well), the roll is rerolled, but then whatever result it returns is kept; a reroll never triggers a reroll for hitting a different rearliner, for instance.

So this is pretty good, it means a lot of cool things, like that units can be injured without dying, that useless mooks can make excellent damage sponges, and that being an archer or whatever is usually but not always less risky than being a warrior. There's just two problems with it.

First of all, it's complex. I've got to roll three dice per combatant each round of battle- one for target selection, one each for the opposed combat roll, and if there's crits or other nonsense I might have to roll for those as well.

Secondly, there's no real strategy or input allowed from players; if I let them order their mooks around manually, obviously they'll all just rush the rear line and club the archers, then focus fire on the squishiest sharpest warrior and so on. But this system doesn't even have any obvious way to let players advise or suggest anything to their mooks; it's all random, and the players won't even know what their goons are trying for until I mention it right before letting them know how they did.

So, I'm really not sure what to do about that, or even how much the complexity would be a problem, or what I'd do instead. I've considered trying to make some kind of battlefield order system, so that rushing archers is possible but has downsides, but nothing much has come of it yet. Partially because I'm not sure I like the idea of trying to add combat flow via opportunity attacks or similar.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #5197 on: September 18, 2012, 02:22:52 pm »

I'd offer advice on your problem there, Irony, but unfortunately it's the same issues I've been banging my head against in my strategy thing, and I've yet to find a solution I'm completely satisfied with. Simplicity, Depth, Player Input- it seems to be "pick 2 of 3" to fit in an RTD.

Anywho, I've been mulling over new ideas. I don't know if anyone here reads El Goonish Shive (it's alright, nothing spectacular) but the current story arc involves a MTG parody, and took a perspective I hadn't before considered. Basically, the conceit is that the duelists are building the world around them when they play their land cards and summon things, which makes for a visually interesting duel. Throw in the fact I've been consumed by Dominions 3 lately, and I'm thinking hey, that could make for a good God Game.

Spoiler: The Gods (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Land and Colors (click to show/hide)

VERY much a work in progress, as this is all I have time to jot down before work- heck, those stats won't survive the first revision, I guarantee it. My goal is to balance the freeform creation fun inherent in God Games with enough structure so I don't have to ad hoc every single roll. The vague way I see this game going is for players to create the world, make some hero/creatures, wipe out creatures on enemy lands and claim them once cleansed. Near-term priorities is to reflect that flow in the rules, come up with rules for creature creation, and figure out how spells/artifacts play into all of this. That last one is a particularly thorny problem, as I need something that allows craftable spells so players can do whatever they want (as befits a God,) while having a deducible Anima cost so they know how much they need of what type before their Nuke The World spell can fire.

Anyone with thoughts on what should/could go in, or the kinds of things they'd expect to be able to do in a game advertised like this, let me know what you think!

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5198 on: September 18, 2012, 02:27:40 pm »

I like the Lands and Colors thing, sounds very unique and fun. Glad to see something new being done with the god game... genre.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ˇNo parmesan!

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5199 on: September 20, 2012, 10:57:13 pm »

Further issue: Base creature strength, levels, and you.

Basically, I both like and dislike the way Dungeon Keeper handled different creature types, which was to say that a beetle or goblin sucked, but could get stronger by leveling, but would still suck compared to a stronger monster of equivalent level (or in many, many cases, one much lower).

The downsides to this are kind of obvious- goblins are just cannon fodder you use until you can get "real" minions, which are still just placeholders for awesome minions. I'd much prefer if a sufficiently experienced goblin could be a genuine threat, and that using goblins in general was feasible.

The upsides are that creatures can be differentiated based on strength- a dragon is stronger but presumably less numerous than a goblin, for instance. You can have things that are more powerful but rarer than other things aside from just levels.

So, what's the solution? Well, having "stronger" creatures have stronger starting stats or higher starting levels is one option, but I didn't like it much; it's wonky to balance, and it feels weird saying a creature always "starts" at level 8.

So what I thought about instead was the rare vs swarm thing I was just talking about- sure, goblins are weak, but they're supposed to be numerous. Dark angels are incredibly powerful, but you should only have one or two. So how do I represent that through leveling up?

The short answer is budding. At certain thresholds, probably either multiples of a creature's "average" stats or maybe even every levelup after it hits "average," a creature stops leveling like normal and instead starts saving up experience to meet the next hurdle. Once it reaches this number, whatever that may be, it spawns another one of its kind and can continue leveling as normal. Whether the spawn would be an entirely new creature or follow the original around or what, I don't know.

As a simplified example, let's assume the following. We've got a goblin, natural/average/cap/whatever we call this stats of 2 HP and 2 Attack. Then we've got a Salamander with average stats of 4 Attack and 6 HP. Further assume that "budding" costs 3 exp and produces a 1 Attack, 2 HP creature, and occurs at multiples of a creature's cap strength. Finally, assume that each point of Attack or 2 points of HP cost 1 XP, and that they're gaining xp at equal rates. The progression would look like:

Spoiler: Leveling Event Thing (click to show/hide)

So as you can see, the end result so far is an 8/12 salamander with one buddy and a 6/6 goblin with three buddies. This does accomplish most of what I want- a goblin captain is stronger than a goblin, but not as strong as a dark knight or something, but is more numerous to help balance it out.

Trouble comes from the specifics, though. For instance, are these extras complete, separate entities that can go off and earn exp on their own? If so, that could potentially result in too many goblins to be worth tracking in fairly short order. Or are they attached to their parent, sort of a mobile collection of ablative armor and attack boosts? But if so, what happens if one dies?

And plus, I'm not sure this is exactly how I want to do it. Should offspring be of "average" stats for that creature? If so, presumably the parent would have to rack those up manually, which I assume would lessen the gap, since a goblin is banking up exp frequently but in small amounts, whereas a dark angel would be doing so rarely but in massive quantities. Either way, what should the exp cost for budding be? I have three up there just as an example, but is that a good number?

And finally, I'm not sure how I want exp gain and leveling to work, which could complicate things even further. For instance, suppose I factor in a creature's level to exp needed to level, and presumably exp granted from fighting it? Well, now lower level creatures, like goblins, would level quicker, which would also help close the gap.

Basically, I can't think of a better idea, but I'm really unsure if this one is a good idea at all.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5200 on: September 21, 2012, 05:05:40 pm »

Would anyone here play a WWI zombie RTD? It would follow the normal RTD format, without any special rules. The player would purchase weapons and soldiers at the beggining of the game and at military posts around the world. The goal would be to defeat three necromancers who have invaded through a wormhole. All I really need are some cool names for the necromancers.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Greenstarfanatic

• Bay Watcher
  • I wanna be a cow boy babey
    • View Profile
« Reply #5201 on: September 21, 2012, 07:15:11 pm »

All you have to do with a trio of old mystical guys is think of two magical names, like Aralicnir and [INSERT COOL NAME HERE] and name the third Joe.
Hey, don't forget about research boy sitting right here!

Nega

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lizard Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #5202 on: September 22, 2012, 08:38:38 pm »

I've been thinking about this for a few days, so has anyone else thought about a Sonic The Hedgehog-themed RTD? That might be interesting.

Greenstarfanatic

• Bay Watcher
  • I wanna be a cow boy babey
    • View Profile
« Reply #5203 on: September 22, 2012, 08:44:04 pm »

Hmm...How would it play out? Would there be missions? Would it be a Survival game? Would you be able to choose from characters from every game? Elaborate a bit, please.
Hey, don't forget about research boy sitting right here!

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #5204 on: September 22, 2012, 08:47:46 pm »

>Run Faster!

Every single action. My friends and I used to joke that this was the solution to every problem they encountered in the old cartoon.
Pages: 1 ... 345 346 [347] 348 349 ... 661