Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 371 372 [373] 374 375 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 698298 times)

Greenstarfanatic

• Bay Watcher
  • I wanna be a cow boy babey
    • View Profile

I would be in that in a heartbeat.

Dibs on Carmen Sandiego!
Aww...

Also Pre-In.
Hey, don't forget about research boy sitting right here!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

Carmen Sandiego?!

SO IN ON THAT.

Also, on-topic, what genre of RTDs do most people prefer, if asked on their preferences? Low/High Fantasy, or Realistic? In the Modern Timeframe, Past, or Future? ((ie should the context, if any, be relative to common knowledge?))

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile

High Fantasyyyyyyyyy
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile

Have no fear, guys, there's a 40% or higher chance that my next RTD will be medieval fantasy of some sort. It will include demons and angels and as horrific monsters as I can think up.

...When it comes out. I have absolutely no idea how long I'm going to take, especially since I continually jump between it and another 40% chance SciFi RTD which includes lasers, automatic shotguns, heavy railguns, and (possibly) frequent jetpacks. I also have no idea on how long the SciFi RTD will take either.

So, basically, I have two great plans but I have no idea when I'll post either.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You should do both. Dimension-hopping, ey!

Also, I think Low Fantasy or Scifi. Or modern Low Fantasy, which I guess makes Urban Fantasy.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile

You should do both. Dimension-hopping, ey!
Nope. Hopping between the two is not only an idea I loathe, but the balance would get wacky and the games are set to use two totally different rulesets.

Also, on Tiruin's post which I missed:

For games set in the past, I prefer only High Fantasy. For games in the future timeline, I don't care as long as I can have fun and I have choices as long as it doesn't go so far as to introduce magic (a sort-of-magic system, like in D22, is okay in my mind). As for modern, I don't like modern games as a general rule.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 03:57:37 am by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

I had a bit of an idea for an RTD, but I doubt I'll ever be able to get to actually run it, so here it is:

Prophets of the New God

The essence of the game is this: you are prophets of a new religion that worships a single god. Your job is to spread your religion as effectively as possible to the heathen peoples in the fictional nation of [insert name here], performing miracles, embarking on adventures, summoning bears to kill people who mock you, raising the dead and so forth.

Spoiler: The Setting (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The New God (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Character Sheet (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Mechanics (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Miracle System (click to show/hide)

I just wrote this down off the top of my head, so feel free to give any suggestions. The magic system in particular needs commenting on, I think. But the concept itself is sound, I believe - who doesn't like Old Testament shenanigans?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 08:57:43 am by Harry Baldman »

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ooh, I like it. Changing gods/religions in god games are something I very much like. I would be in that in a heartbeat. The miracle system you have seems solid - a lot of god games have trouble with undefined and vague rules.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

That looks awesome. A pity you don't intend to run it.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That looks awesome. A pity you don't intend to run it.

Well, I'm kind of on the fence - once I finish up with Life Begins At Death (hopefully not too long from now), I have three RTD ideas in total: this one's the most recent. My other two ideas are a men-in-black (the concept itself, not the movie series) RTD and an RTD where you are office workers sent to civilize an alien planet currently possessing a tribal alien culture. I might run this one, but I would definitely not be against anybody else trying it if they're willing.

EDIT: Although, to tell the truth, I may have enough spare time to run this one concurrently with LBAD. I could put out an update a day, I think.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 08:17:38 am by Harry Baldman »

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

An update a day? I'd be fine with an update a week - hell, right now I update like once every two weeks, and my players are somehow still playing.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

Just a random idea that's been on my mind:

An RTD taking place in ancient Rome, with a magic system apropriate for that time.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just a random idea that's been on my mind:

An RTD taking place in ancient Rome, with a magic system apropriate for that time.

What magic system would be appropriate, do you think? Rome isn't particularly known for its magic.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sacrificing animals giving powers, or allowing divination or somesuch? Pledging yourself to some god, with increased abilities on their day/time/place (a disciple of Mars having greater martial abilities on Tuesday (dies Martis), a disciple of Janus being under protection while under doorways)? You could include the gods of other civilizations too. Just uttering Latin phrases for spells, perhaps? Hey, it worked for Rowling. I don't know if the Romans still worshipped Hecate, but she's straight-up goddess of magic and witchcraft.

EDIT: This Wiki page might be good reading if you haven't already. Fairly interesting, actually.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 10:06:41 am by Digital Hellhound »
Pages: 1 ... 371 372 [373] 374 375 ... 661