Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 424 425 [426] 427 428 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 698306 times)

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile

...Maybe I will, then, for a round or two. I'll have to re-read the old thread, see if maybe I can make the rules cleaner or at least more organized. I'm always kind of wanting to run an RTD, but at the same time, not sure if I really want to / am capable of it, so maybe something simple like RTASL could work.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

alamoes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So I've decided to get in on the GM scene. Only one problem exists - I'm too lazy to come up with a viable system for stuff! Wat do? Simple! Minimalist RTD! Wait, those are usually (excepting YAFB) small, short-lived, and not very descriptive! So I, in my infinite amazingness, came up with a solution to this conundrum:

STORY RTD!
This amazing system is a hybrid of traditional and minimalist games, not quite either but still similar:
-Limited number of players, each player gets status tracked, have backstory (optional)
-Minimalist rolling, because I'm lazy
-Most importantly, instead of the usual (5) YOU WIN, this RTD will have extensive paragraphs and stuff outlining every action, making it seem like they're not lazy as hell in execution!
-The GM will attempt to weave the threads of insanity into something coherent
-Players decide the initial setting

How does this sound for people? I'd probably be letting 6 people in at first, so this thing WILL have a waitlist, but characters can be preserved, ie you may die, but the character can come back fine.

Pretty much what I'm doing. 

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Just strummin' right along...
    • View Profile

So, I'm considering getting into doing some DM-y stuff.

My main idea(which, truth be told, is currently a bit bare bones) could be summed up as essentially a RtD in a old west kinda setting with supernatural Lovecraftian elements and such.

Any tips on how best to go about this whole thing? Like how to set up stats and things to avoid?
Your favorite pinko progressive nerd-gal. Probably.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Any tips on how best to go about this whole thing? Like how to set up stats and things to avoid?

Mainly just avoid over-complicating your first RTD (if it is your first).

Wwolin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXTRA_BUTCHER_OBJECT]
    • View Profile

So, I'm considering getting into doing some DM-y stuff.

My main idea(which, truth be told, is currently a bit bare bones) could be summed up as essentially a RtD in a old west kinda setting with supernatural Lovecraftian elements and such.

Always good to have another GM around :)

Anyways, one of the big things I can stress is content placement. You've got three real choices here. The first of these is well hidden railroading. You want the players to got from point A to point B, but it's no fun if you forbid all other paths. Plus, with this being Bay12 and all, someone will almost certainly try something totally crazy. It's your job to make this crazy action somehow be relevant in getting them to point B. This method is ideal when you have a small team of players all working together. All roads lead to Rome, even those that haven't been made yet.

The second option is a bit harder to set up, and involves placing content everywhere. For example, in my Looter's Delight RTD, the map is roughly the size of North Dakota, and is filled with content at every turn, so that no matter what path players take, they will find something. However, unless you're planning to have an all-in (meaning no waitlisting; everyone spawns as soon as their sheet is up), this method just eats up too much time for what it produces.

The third option is building everything around your players. Say that in the middle of a battle, a player decides to dive off of a cliff to evade an attack. Now that he's down there, it's your job to make the place interesting. Add the ruins of an ancient civilization, some sort of portal to another realm, just make it exciting. This method is good if you have a small group of players, but they're all splitting up and doing their own things.

As for stats, you can really do anything. Just look around at some of the games here and see if there's any system that you like, and then modify it to work with your game. As a bit of advice, if you find a system that you like, read a bit of the thread and see if any of the skills are horribly broken so that you can fix them before you start, rather than in media res.
I meant we'd start stabbing the walls and floor for points and not just for science.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile

Mainly just avoid over-complicating your first RTD (if it is your first).
It's also important to make sure the setting is one you have a lot of inspiration in. Lack of inspiration is as deadly to active games as overdone rules in my opinion.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, thanks all! Gonna be posting the game in a moment. And due to Tarran's tip, I kinda ended up going for an entirely different(but more interesting) tone and slightly changed setting. So yeah.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile

Well, thanks all! Gonna be posting the game in a moment. And due to Tarran's tip, I kinda ended up going for an entirely different(but more interesting) tone and slightly changed setting. So yeah.
Gaem?!
GAEM?!
GAEM!!
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Gaem?!
GAEM?!
GAEM!!
Gaem.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile

I kind of want to do another Survival RtD, (the predecessor is actually a suggestion game this time). Pretty simple as far as rolls go, three stats to manage.

SUPERWEAPON

The concept? Very simple. You're the last people on the earth. A cataclysmic war- the devastation overstepped even the nuclear threshold, and before diplomacy even had a chance, the crossfire slaughtered millions, those asleep at Zero Hour were the lucky ones.

Why did you survive? You've asked yourself this question, and it never seems to make you any less nauseous. The myriad answers to this question seem to spin around your head, but the foremost is the most painful and obvious...

You aren't human. You've come to terms with it, maybe, maybe your humanity isn't too far gone... or maybe you can't remember the last time you thought of yourself as even subhuman. Fact is, the biological weapons didn't affect you. Maybe they did, but however large their effect, your genome was altered enough to stop the virus from working it's cruel magic on you. That dosen't mean you didn't pay your price, you just did... a longer time ago. All of you were "experiments", some prisoners of war, some whos own military wanted subjects, some civilians, it didn't matter. But now, you have greater troubles. Nature flipped the fuck out when
Homo Sapiens decided to die off in less than 24 hours, and life on Earth is not the same... Big, angry, death machines of fur and bone roam the earth.

You can't remember how you wound up with the others. Same bloody story as you, anyway. Years... no one counts them anymore. Years feel like eons. Now, you just count the hours.

---

Not sure about anything else but the setting, really.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Wwolin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXTRA_BUTCHER_OBJECT]
    • View Profile

Well, I'll probably have my promised M.A.G.U.S. RTD  up soon; I just need to find the time to run it, AKA Summer Break. But I'll post a rough idea of the setting for you guys.

M.A.G.U.S. Project
Magical Assholes Getting Us Saved

It's the beginning of the largest revolution in human history since the advent of language, and it's all because of one man. Steven Thaddeus Ranger, the man who brought magic into the spotlight. Sure, people had used it for millenia in various forms, from charms to books to chants, but it was Ranger who brought magic from the cults to the civilized world. Like any revolution though, this one is gonna take some time to catch on, and 'modern' technology is still frequently used, even as upper class citizens flaunt new trinkets such as wands, flying rings, and even familiars. However, magic isn't completely stable. People are trying their hardest, but it still sometimes goes wrong, often with cataclysmic results. And nobody (or at least nobody respected within the magic and scientific communities) has ever managed to infuse magic properties into a living being...

Until today

Unbeknownst to all but a select few, the M.A.G.U.S. Corporation (Magical Arms, General Utilities, and Services), headed by Steven Ranger himself, has been working on a new project. Magical Mercenaries. Top secret research has been done on insects and even a few rodents, but today is the day they move from maggots and mice to men. You are one of these new test subjects, having gone through rigorous conditioning to the point where you seem practically superhuman, even without magic. With it, you'll practically be a god, except for one drawback: You will be the property of the M.A.G.U.S. Corporation. Depending on who the highest bidder is, you will be required to use your powers for good, for evil, or most likely of all, for someone's personal gain.

With a crackling noise, the cassette-player in the room shuts off, as a man wearing a brown suit enters through a door to your left.

"Sorry, sorry, that one was completely my bad. I put the wrong cassette in. You'd think that the best engineers money can buy would at least label their cassettes... Or, here's an idea: WHY DON'T THEY DO SOMETHING WITH MAGIC, OR AT LEAST USE 'MODERN' TECHNOLOGY THAT DIDN'T DIE OFF IN THE GOD DAMNED NINETEEN-NINETIES!"

You see embarrassed looking men and women slink away to a corner of the room as the brown-suited man calms himself down and clears his throat.

"Sorry about that outburst; it's just that the newest version of that recording tries to pass the whole 'M.A.G.U.S. owns your souls' thing off as a chance to 'visit interesting places and meet interesting people in the name of science'. I'm not saying that we don't own your souls, but it's really not all that bad. I mean, we don't want you to die; you cost us too much money for that. But, knowing the competence of these engineers here, some of you will probably die. But hey, knowing the naturally volatile nature of magic, at least you'll go out with style! Now, enough with the doom and gloom! Who wants some magic powers?"

Well, would you look at that. My setting description has turned itself into what will probably be the basis for my OP. But yeah, the characters will be a group of 'mercenaries' who have been given magical abilities. Magic will be broken down into elements, and each character would have one major element, which they have a bonus to manipulating, and two minor elements, which they are able to manipulate. Because each player is limited to controlling three elements, out of the box solutions are probably gonna be pretty big. Also, stats will be like in Looter's Delight, where a bonus in one stat is accompanied by a malus in another, but it will probably be limited to a maximum of + or - 2 to prevent things from getting out of hand. The stats will most likely be as follows:

Strength: Your physical strength, which affects your melee damage and aptitude for hard labor
Aim: Your accuracy, which affects both melee and ranged accuracy, ranged damage, as well as your ability to perceive things that others might miss
Endurance: Your ability to withstand damage, which affects your defense rolls, as well as your ability to cope with pain
Affinity: Your ability to use magic, which affects... well, your ability to use magic
Agility: Your ability to move quickly, which affects dodging and initiative, as well as tasks that require running
Training: You obviously had to do SOMETHING before you became a magical guineapig mercenary, right? Minuses in this skill will not affect anything, so they're almost like free points. However, every + in this skill will add 2 to rolls involving your specific talent. An ex-mechanic might have a bonus to working with machinery, a girl scout could have one to selling things... it's pretty open-ended, and keeps things interesting.

I'd write a bit more about it, but I have a paper to write, and I've kinda been blowing off Looter's Delight recently, so I'm gonna crank out an update for that tonight as well.
I meant we'd start stabbing the walls and floor for points and not just for science.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile

*makes super rich character, bids on self, uses powers for personal gain*
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile

YES
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

Small queries about RTDs, if players have joined a game and it resumes after hiatus in..about months or so, is it still practical to continue the game even if the GM is willing or...Err, don't know how to word this right. It goes along the lines of me asking if time destroys the interests of players in any game set up by others.

Also, a fair amount of confusion in one of the ideas I'm helping someone out with - loot. Say, running an archaeological-RTD-type. If fame or popularity isn't a factor in returning artifacts, then what kind of reward would be given out? Meaning: How to handle (legitimately gotten) loot?

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile

Small queries about RTDs, if players have joined a game and it resumes after hiatus in..about months or so, is it still practical to continue the game even if the GM is willing or...Err, don't know how to word this right. It goes along the lines of me asking if time destroys the interests of players in any game set up by others.

Also, a fair amount of confusion in one of the ideas I'm helping someone out with - loot. Say, running an archaeological-RTD-type. If fame or popularity isn't a factor in returning artifacts, then what kind of reward would be given out? Meaning: How to handle (legitimately gotten) loot?
Cash? Also loot isn't the point of archeology, (unless this is 19th century archeology) its the area around loot and what the loot and the area tells us about the civilization. If a real archeologist was with Indiana Jones at the opening of Raiders, he'd be more interested in why the civilization had all the elaborate death traps and if they were symbolic than the idol at the end. If you already know this, then sorry.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 424 425 [426] 427 428 ... 661