Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9075 9076 [9077] 9078 9079 ... 10988

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13437764 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #136140 on: July 30, 2018, 04:21:30 pm »

Returning to pronounciation for a bit, I've been playing Witcher 3 again for the last week or two and just arrived to Skellige a few days ago. One of the most enjoyable facets of the game has definitely been hearing all these voice actors attempting to pronounce Swedish/Scandinavian names and words. Crowning moment of lulz was when there was a kid called Tjalve and they pronounced it Teey-Alve. It was funny.

Also all the words that mean stuff in Swedish. Like the place with the lighthouse quest - Eldberg - just means Fire Mountain. And Morkvarg is just Mörkvarg - "Dark Wolf" - with the umlaut dropped.

This is even more hilarious than when in Skyrim they used real Scandivegian names all the time and then you run into a buffoon called Rune - as in a rune - and he's all "OOOOOH look at my super special name it's so strange and unusual don't you think don't you want to know why I have such a super special really cool name" and we're all sitting here like "but Rune is a super ordinary and common name I have no idea what you're talking about".
Love, scriver~

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #136141 on: July 30, 2018, 04:35:36 pm »

*bumbles in, ignoring current discussion topic*

https://m.gulfnews.com/news/asia/india/justiceforgoat-trends-as-pregnant-goat-gang-raped-by-8-men-1.2258452

This. This is WTF material, right here.
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136142 on: July 30, 2018, 05:11:11 pm »

Florida Man was probably part of that gang.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #136143 on: July 30, 2018, 05:35:24 pm »

You'd be amazed at how many Florida Men live in India.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136144 on: July 30, 2018, 05:41:27 pm »

I for one would be unsurprising to find that it was only Florida Man, who has ascended to a new form of absurdity and is simply committing so many acts of insanity per minute that he appears to be 8 men at once.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #136145 on: July 30, 2018, 05:46:41 pm »

I for one would be unsurprising to find that it was only Florida Man, who has ascended to a new form of absurdity and is simply committing so many acts of insanity per minute that he appears to be 8 men at once.

The only headline I really remember from the newspapers in India was "Girl (15) hangs self after father forbids her from watching TV in room". There is a ridiculous amount of societal and cultural pressure going on, and a fuckload of people all going through the grinder, and that's just not a very good case for supporting an individual's right to act like a sane person.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #136146 on: July 30, 2018, 07:12:28 pm »

Made a random connection today at work.

The Robert Heinlein story Beyond This Horizion features, as a plot element, a character whose job is managing the money supply in the economy. Among other things, he designs new gambling machines in order to remove money from the economy, preventing inflation.

What I realized out of nowhere today is that this job actually exists, minus the part where it is the actual economy being affected. Adding money sinks to MMO economies is the prime way administrators prevent the in-game economy from going insane.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #136147 on: July 30, 2018, 09:27:23 pm »

Yeah it's actually a really interesting theory called faucet-and-sink. Faucets are phat lewt and sinks are awesome NPC merchants or housing stuff. It's entirely too complicated for me to wrap my head around in a single sitting but probably something I need to learn if I'm going to hop into the MMO game someday.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136148 on: July 30, 2018, 09:29:26 pm »

minus the part where it is the actual economy being affected

... You have heard of the Federal Reserve, right?
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #136149 on: July 30, 2018, 09:48:47 pm »

minus the part where it is the actual economy being affected

... You have heard of the Federal Reserve, right?

The Federal Reserve doesn't manage the money supply to that extent. They adjust interest rates, but they don't run programs to make 15% (or whatever) of the country's money supply magically disappear.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136150 on: July 30, 2018, 10:03:53 pm »

they don't run programs to make 15% (or whatever) of the country's money supply magically disappear.
Well, you'd be surprised. Ben Bernanke, former chairman of the Federal Reserve, relatively recently stated that the Fed contributed significantly to the Great Depression. I'd argue further that this was not in an "unfortunate mistake" sort of way, but instead in a "deliberate malicious attempt at personal gain" sort of way, but that would most likely turn this discussion into a political derail so I'm gonna pass.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #136151 on: July 30, 2018, 10:04:14 pm »

I play ROTMG, and yes, the economy is entirely player-generated. The primary currency is potions that are used for increasing stats. The sink for them is, well, drinking them to increase your stats.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #136152 on: July 30, 2018, 10:10:48 pm »

Florida Man america's greatest superhero
Apparently this is because Florida has transparency laws that allow reporters access to detailed police reports. So where anywhere else you'd get "Man shoots wife" you instead get "Florida Man shoots wife because she wouldn't pass the salt".
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #136153 on: July 30, 2018, 10:16:14 pm »

they don't run programs to make 15% (or whatever) of the country's money supply magically disappear.
Well, you'd be surprised. Ben Bernanke, former chairman of the Federal Reserve, relatively recently stated that the Fed contributed significantly to the Great Depression. I'd argue further that this was not in an "unfortunate mistake" sort of way, but instead in a "deliberate malicious attempt at personal gain" sort of way, but that would most likely turn this discussion into a political derail so I'm gonna pass.

"Not issuing enough money" and "not bailing out the banks when they ran out of money" ≠ "We have too much money, so we're basically erasing some from existance"

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136154 on: July 30, 2018, 10:53:33 pm »

I play ROTMG, and yes, the economy is entirely player-generated. The primary currency is potions that are used for increasing stats. The sink for them is, well, drinking them to increase your stats.

As a game designer tip, if you have a high-level consumable used as a barter good, and you want to create trade demand for a secondary currency, then stick a vendor in the world who, for example gives you one of those potions for 10000 gems. Now, gems become the more easily traded commodity, replacing the potions themselves.

Yeah it's actually a really interesting theory called faucet-and-sink. Faucets are phat lewt and sinks are awesome NPC merchants or housing stuff. It's entirely too complicated for me to wrap my head around in a single sitting but probably something I need to learn if I'm going to hop into the MMO game someday.

Another thing to keep in mind is what some people are calling the "landfill" tactic. Balancing a player-driven economy is hard and not actually worth the effort vs the reward you get as a designer. (in Ultima Online, nobody actually knew about all the intricate systems they designed because players broke the natural in game systems within hours of launch).

"landfill" is where you make one tier of premium gear, that say needs "gold + diamonds" ("gold" being the free to play currency), then you release another tier of gear, which is effectively recolors of the last level but +1 on everything. And that tier has a new currency, "rubies". This effectively "soft resets" the economy, since nobody has any rubies. So you have a "gold rush" a "diamond rush" and a "ruby rush" and so on, and you only need to do short-term balancing in any case.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 11:05:11 pm by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 9075 9076 [9077] 9078 9079 ... 10988