Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 53

Author Topic: Fortress Overseer 0.70.1 - !Open Source! 3D Visualizer - 31.25-34.11 Support  (Read 366383 times)

Akomis

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress Overseer v0.51 - 3D Visualizer - 31.25 Support (see 1st post)
« Reply #540 on: February 26, 2012, 04:18:29 pm »

Wow, these screenshots are wonderful. I`m longing to see it in action, with DF 0.34. Is new version coming soon? :)

thewonderidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: February 26, 2012, 05:16:48 pm »

Wow, these screenshots are wonderful. I`m longing to see it in action, with DF 0.34. Is new version coming soon? :)
Yep, I'm scrambling to finish this as things are going to get extremely busy at work starting around Thursday, so I won't have as much time to put into this. So Wednesday night is my deadline for a release, but it could be a bit sooner.

First trees showing up, now need to add a config file with tree type->model mapping (along with some default bushes, deciduous trees, and shrooms):

Water texture in that shot is still my GIMP bucket-fill placeholder while SexyMustard works on finishing a nicer one. There's not much left to do!  :D

EDIT: So, in working in this I came to recall the reason why the last release only had the pine tree -- it's the only good low-poly tree model I have. The rest look pretty terrible. If anybody has any nice-looking tree/bush/shroom models they'd like to share, let me know! Otherwise I might just distribute only the pine (and maybe mushrooms -- I have some models of those that aren't too bad) but have the ability to add more.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 10:48:51 pm by thewonderidiot »

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: February 27, 2012, 12:08:24 am »

how many Z-levels is that drop? this visualizer has come a long way.

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: February 27, 2012, 12:23:18 am »

Looks like 9z to me, the banks are clearly banded.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: February 27, 2012, 12:28:52 am »

ah i see, i was sitting back, and whenever you look up at a LCD monitor everything is darker.

thewonderidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: February 29, 2012, 02:17:24 pm »

Minor update: might not hit my deadline of tonight for a release. I finally found a source of low-poly plant models, so I'll be working on the full plant system starting tonight. Hoping for lots of variation in vegetation (all sorts of flowers, shrubs, weeds, trees, etc). Probably boulders too.

Once that's all done, all that's left is the config file. There's going to be a lot more in it this time, with a lot of parameters for tweaking the paging stuff. I'm going to avoid going any further into anything else for this release, as it will simply add to the stack of things I need to reconsider for future work. After this release, with what time I have left, I'm going to work on getting buildings and items to show up properly, and start working on dual contouring so we don't have to use PolyVox's slightly janky mesh extractor.

aantn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: March 01, 2012, 02:36:00 pm »

Hi, is there an up-to-date branch of the code on GitHub?

I looked, but all I could find was a repository with commits from one year ago.

thewonderidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: March 01, 2012, 03:20:14 pm »

Nope, the stuff on GitHub is all from the very old OSG version of Overseer. We've moved over to Google Code for now. It's completely up to date, and I try to push to it every day. I've been kind of considering moving it back to GitHub now that I'm a bit more involved with DFHack, but I haven't decided yet.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: March 02, 2012, 07:03:40 pm »

Yep... I'm blown away. That looks incredible. With lots of different plants, it'll look insanely amazing - you'll be able to tell what kind of biome you're in by looking at the plants, correct?

I've done some 3d modeling work, but I doubt any of it would be of any use to you... What are the models made in, out of curiosity? Maybe I can help make what you're missing.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

thewonderidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: March 02, 2012, 09:25:31 pm »

Yep... I'm blown away. That looks incredible. With lots of different plants, it'll look insanely amazing - you'll be able to tell what kind of biome you're in by looking at the plants, correct?

Thanks!  :D Hopefully, yeah, you'll be able to tell biome based on vegetation.

I've done some 3d modeling work, but I doubt any of it would be of any use to you... What are the models made in, out of curiosity? Maybe I can help make what you're missing.

Any help would be much appreciated!  :D These are the trees/plant models I found. Each model is in a bunch of formats, so you should have something that should be able to open them. They're more...region-specific, rather than species-specific. My plan was to just roughly assign the models to what real life tree they more or less look like. So, I'm not quite sure what the gaps are yet. Any fantasy, non-real-world tree or plant isn't going to have a model yet, obviously. It's insanely difficult to find decent low-poly tree models. Reading through the Visual Fortress thread, I discovered that Baboonanza had the same trouble as me, and never did find free tree models that he was happy with.  ::) I'd absolutely love to have a different model specifically for each species of tree, and have it be distinguishable, but for now hopefully these will work.

The resulting 3D model has to be in Ogre's own .mesh format. Honestly, getting it there is half of the challenge. I finally found a method to convert the Loopix trees last night. If you're interested, here's the process:
  • Open up the .ms3d version of the model in a trial version of Milkshape 3D
  • Export everything about it (including material, tangents, etc.) to a file. Exporting animation and skeleton data is required, even though the trees have none.
  • Use OgreXMLConverter to decompile the exported .mesh file
  • Open up the new XML file in an editor, rename the material to something more appropriate, and delete all lines related to skeletons or animations
  • Use OgreXMLConverter to recompile the XML file into a new .mesh
  • Edit the exported material file to match the name you gave it in the model XML file, add the line "alpha_rejection greater_equal 128" to the pass, and add "alpha" to the end of the texture line.

Yeah. Don't ask me how long it took to figure that one out.  ::) I'll be spending most of my night tonight doing that to each loopix plant model, so hopefully by tomorrow we'll be able to post some screenshots of all sorts of vegetation in Overseer.

Anyways, that's for the Loopix trees. I've been making my own models in Blender, and have found that it works quite nicely. Whatever works, really, there's an Ogre exporter for almost every major modelling program -- it's just that the process of importing and then exporting tends to screw things up.

So that's really not much of an answer to your actual question, but I should know that better by tomorrow.  :D

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: March 02, 2012, 10:31:07 pm »

I'm an absolutely terrible 3-d modeler, but yeah, I've tried. I could probably make a couple really simple things, but nothing fancy... If i do try to make something, I'll share though ^^
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: March 02, 2012, 11:53:34 pm »

Ahhhh, okay. I'm used to working with Deled 3d, simply because it's what I found first and it's free, but I've worked with Milkshape before. It has a .mesh exporter too.

I'm more used to making high-poly models, but, I'll experiment a bit and see what I can do. :) If you're already making your own models, though, I don't really know where I should start... I guess I'll just pick something and go with it - I'm guessing trees are more important - and maybe post a screenshot when I'm done, or send you a link, to see what you think.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

thewonderidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: March 03, 2012, 01:12:52 am »

I'm an absolutely terrible 3-d modeler, but yeah, I've tried. I could probably make a couple really simple things, but nothing fancy... If i do try to make something, I'll share though ^^

Ahhhh, okay. I'm used to working with Deled 3d, simply because it's what I found first and it's free, but I've worked with Milkshape before. It has a .mesh exporter too.

I'm more used to making high-poly models, but, I'll experiment a bit and see what I can do. :) If you're already making your own models, though, I don't really know where I should start... I guess I'll just pick something and go with it - I'm guessing trees are more important - and maybe post a screenshot when I'm done, or send you a link, to see what you think.

Don't worry, I'm sure you guys are better than me. I'm by no means an artist.  ;) And don't move to Milkshape because of what I said above, because I've got 28 days of trial left on it and am only using it for converting the tree models I found.

The only things I have modeled at all for Overseer are stairs, pretty much. Oh, and a boulder. They even need a bit of a redo... <_<. So really, anything and everything needs modeled. Trees and shrubs (and shrooms and such) will be able to be incorporated immediately. Buildings (doors, workshops, beds, etc.) will hopefully be implemented pretty soon. Items are probably a way off. So that's more or less general priority.

Thanks a ton for offering to help out, you guys are awesome!  :D

yamamushi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #553 on: March 03, 2012, 01:20:29 am »

Trees and shrubs (and shrooms and such) will be able to be incorporated immediately. Buildings (doors, workshops, beds, etc.) will hopefully be implemented pretty soon. Items are probably a way off. So that's more or less general priority.

Jeez, all this talk about the things you're putting in make me really excited about the upcoming new release :D

If only overseer could model dwarves/entities too (or adventure mode) but I know that's a long ways away haha.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper GOLD - 475+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: March 03, 2012, 04:48:22 am »

Um... it does adventure mode just fine. most of the text views are from there.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 53