Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Oh noes, caverns so soon! I'll just flood them.  (Read 1306 times)

Haytrid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Oh noes, caverns so soon! I'll just flood them.
« on: March 19, 2012, 09:01:27 pm »

I did a new embark and was just digging down to find my first rock layer still in the first year when I found, on about 6 z-levels down from embark, a massive cavern complex.  Not really feeling like dealing with them I just diverted a river into them.  The river just kept on flowing for about 45 minutes, the cavern never filled up.  The question is, is this a viable way to drown nasty cavern beasties?  Unfortunately I never got the chance to explore later and find out because by the third year a necromancer infiltrated my fortress and raised some kind of flesh beast which annihilated my entire fortress in no time, this was after two years of fending off flying fire and ice skulls, bad embark point I suppose.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Oh noes, caverns so soon! I'll just flood them.
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 09:09:57 pm »

No. If there is any contact at all with the map edges, water will flow off faster than you can fill it.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 09:16:04 pm »

Which is exactly why you wall it up first.

At which point you won't get any new cavern beasties, either, so filling it with water is redundant.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

evilDagmar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 09:57:10 pm »

...nor are you likely to ever be going into that cavern yourself unless you first a) create controllable floodgates at the entry and exit points, b) risk creating a massive cave in which exposes some new open map edges, or c) somehow manage to breed dwarves with gills.

Good luck with that last one.

Haytrid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 11:09:04 pm »

We'll, dwarves already love mist so maybe gills are the next logical stage of evolution!  Sounds like an opportunity for some Darwinist **SCIENCE**.

...nor are you likely to ever be going into that cavern yourself unless you first a) create controllable floodgates at the entry and exit points, b) risk creating a massive cave in which exposes some new open map edges, or c) somehow manage to breed dwarves with gills.

Good luck with that last one.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 04:05:46 pm »

Dwarf Jabberers.

No.

Just hell naw.

There are only so many crimes against nature one can handle.