Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Exponential  (Read 11293 times)

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
Re: Exponential
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2015, 02:56:47 am »

Maybe we can use one of our arms as biomass to do something?  We only really need one claw arm.  Maybe we csn make the other one better.
I support shapeshifting.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2015, 03:44:36 am »

((Mutation system explaination, there are four types of biomass, split into two classes. Mutation Biomass is one class. It is general data in the body that can be rewritten to something else. It is required to unlock new strains and mutations. The second type is Genetic Data. Which is much rarer and generally cobsiderably more valuable. It's what you get from succeeding in assinilating other species, or people with abnormal genomes. The second class is Generic Biomass. In a dead unit, any accumulated Mutation Biomass will decay at a 5 per turn rate, the average human has 30. Generic Biomass is made up of Requisite Biomass and Surplus Biomass. Requisite Biomass is the amount of biomass a unit needs to say functional, Surplus is any overflow over Requisite. You lose one Surplus in each unit per turn in normal circumstances, Requisite in normal circumstances will not decay. However, critical hits have a high chance of destroying biomass. Should biomass drop below the Requsite amount, the unit is dead and cannot be reanimated without certain mutations, generally it's best to consume the dead unit for biomass due to Requisite being interchangeable with Surplus. Generic biomass is used to fuel Mutations and prototype Strains and Mutations. Once a strain has a mutation unlocked, any unit created by that strain afterwards will have the ability to Mutate that mutation. Currently you have two mainline strains unlocked, two secondary strains awaiting prototyping, and one trianary strain awaiting prototyping. Secondary Strains produce their Mainline strain and mutate from their Mainline. Trianary mutate from secondary. Currently you don't have enough Generic Biomass in your active unit to prototype either secondary, although you do have enough Mutation for one, If you had another 8 biomass, you would have enough to prototype a Hosting Hunger. Although I advise getting 18 more biomass so you can make a Hosting Larva first so your hivemind doesn't fall apart due to lack of control. Hosting Hunger are offensive versions of Larva. They can leap across rooms from hosts headcrab style, burrow into a target, turn them in two turns, and leap to the next target. Last Self was subtley prompting you to nibble a bit more on Notprey since 18 biomass isn't enough to bring him below the Requisite Biomass. Humans on average have 100 Generic and 30 Mutation. You've nommed 4 from Notprey and decayed 2, putting you at 102. (I need to fix the numbers) Requisite for a Standard is 70.))

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2015, 04:36:01 am »

Oh then we can eat not-prey's arm.  Or hand.  Whichever will keep not-prey turning.  All part of the same body anyway.

Seeing us feed and not go after them should make the prey behind the glass calmer.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2015, 05:08:03 am »

((Last hint since I don't think you noticed the subtle pointing out a few turns ago: Outside of very specific organs and muscles, all cells do everything. Skin absorbs air just as much as the lungs do, you need lungs to make noise, but they aren't necessary. Blood is redundant but beneficial to have for Standards. As is pretty much anything that isn't muscle or bone. You could eat some of notprey's belly and he'd be fine. Juuuust to avoid crippling a unit you'll need soon~))
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 05:12:31 am by Kevak »

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2015, 02:42:33 am »

((Spent day trying to fix computer issues on windows partition.))

((Clarification on what you peeps intend to do? Pretty sure you open on a mutation, but what kind?))

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2015, 02:58:07 am »

Grow organic vuvuzela. For tooting. Tooting at things.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2015, 03:13:16 am »

((That's waaaaaay outside of your MP range and available GB. Not to mention it would be completely useless and you need to mutate to progress here~))

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2015, 03:20:51 am »

then grow mini-vuzela (aka protrusion from mouth to channel sound). Hilarity is all te progress we need.

Also, how can one know how much biomass a particular mutation needs?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2015, 03:42:19 am »

Cease agressive displays. Wait and observe. Imitate their noises. Perhaps you will remember how to make words.
Actually, this is better.
+1
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2015, 03:44:03 am »

((You'll find out when you propose a mutation.

Currently you have a budget of 30 MP and 32 GB with an expected income of 20 GB from nomming on Notprey.

Any sort of advanced sound organ is considered an Advanced Mutation and is waaaaaay outside your current planning range. The max MP you can plan for is 50 MP per mutation, if you want to increase that, you'll need to make a unit strain at some point that increases the limit (or let one evolve on its own among the feral units you're bound to make when you inevitably infect more then you have control to handle). You'll also need to find a convenient way to transfer MP between units so you can get past the 30 MP per infected human limit and make better strains then Larva Strains and slight alterations to the Standard Form.

Current strains and mutations within your projected income that are unlocked are:

Hosting Hunger (T2 Larva Strain. 20 MP 20 Biomass to prototype.) Combat Larva, specifics were previoisly stated. They're nasty and they were great roomclearers in the pregame combat tests I did.

Basic Claws (Optional Claw mutation for T1 Standard Strain, new Standards would be able to mutate Basic Claws for 20 Generic Biomass on their own as needed, they would not start with them. Prototyping is 20 MP and 20 Generic Biomass. Notprey would not have this optional mutation as he was infected prior to prototyping should you decide to prototype it.

Basic Controller Strain. (T2 Standard Form Controller Strain. Provides 20 Control, may have other traits, other traits are unknown until prototyping.) 40 MP, 40 GB. Not available until you find a way to get more MP in a single unit. Needs prototyping.

Previously stated T3 Organizer Strain. Same issue as the T2 Controller. Needs prototyping.

Production of additional Standard Larva. 10 GB per larva. It's prototyped. You could technically make 3 larva right now. Although personally I advise making one Hosted Larva and a Hosted Hunger out of it. Claws would work though as well. Standard Larva produce 2 control each when they're hosted. Hungers require 0.2 control at all times but provide a really nasty ranged attack for their host. Larva take 0.1 control when not hosted but are great for ambushes and exploring tight spaces.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 03:48:13 am by Kevak »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2015, 03:51:29 am »

The only things the mini-vuzela would need is some cartilage and some skin over it. That's it. We can groan already, so no extra lung capacity is needed.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 03:55:51 am by Radio Controlled »

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2015, 04:13:12 am »

((You have literally no idea how organs work right now. You lack a large sample and you lack tests. A mini vuzela is out of the question till you've infected at least a few hundred units. It would be a T5 branch of some advanced sound organ due to the massive difference from normal sounds the vocal cords make. You would be better off finding a vuzela and using it rather then mutating one. Not only would it be a waste, but it would be completely useless. This game is not running on Rule of Cool/silly. There are set mechanics due to a special thing this game will be doing at the end of the prologue and silly will not change the mechanics. Although at the end of the prologue, I will give an option for some supernatural elements to be thrown in for science and fun, the mechanics are not debatable. Said supernatural stuff has mechanics in place/can be altered from mechanics in my other games. Said supernatural things will not be immediately accessable, nor will they change the mutation system. However they will give you special options not normally available should they be voted for. However they will also give you some obstacles and difficulties that wouldn't be normally there.))

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2015, 04:14:34 am »

JESUS BUSKIN HECK THAT WAS WHAT I CAME INTO THE THREAD TO SUBMIT
GET OUT OF MY HEAD :P
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2015, 04:56:22 am »

I find it puzzling how we apparently aren't smart enough to figure out a small boney proteusion to amplify sound with, yet we can grow full separate organisms with all the horrific complexity that entails. Hell, just creating a moving limb is very complex from a biochemical/physiological standpoint, compared to a simple organ to amplify sound. Some proof: we aren't close to artificially growing new functining limbs, but something like an ear (also something made from cartilage and skin) we can do:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The long term goal is to become a one-man band (cimbal hands, guitar belly,...) and make our international breakthrough. Of course we can then still infect people, after all, we will need backup dancers. Ooh, and expand our musical repertoire (proposed band name: The Things). A bioconstruct that's a living synthesizer? Flying harpies that are literal harps? The possibilities are endless! 

Oh, and
((Last hint since I don't think you noticed the subtle pointing out a few turns ago: Outside of very specific organs and muscles, all cells do everything
This game is not running on Rule of Cool/silly.
these two statements are rather incompatible, all things considered.

JESUS BUSKIN HECK THAT WAS WHAT I CAME INTO THE THREAD TO SUBMIT
GET OUT OF MY HEAD :P
I like the way you think.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 05:02:29 am by Radio Controlled »

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2015, 05:28:37 am »

((1. Do not argue with the GM.

((2. I could type up another long post explaining just how the cell thing works, but I'm tired. It's two in the morning. That isn't rule of cool, nor is it silly. It theoretically works. Just means the resulting creature is slower then one that specializes cells. Which is accounted for mechanic wise. I will ignore any further suicidal silly posts until a time where you aren't facing imminent death by metal pellet through prefrontal lobe. If you insist on the sillies, save them for when you aren't at risk of death. Developing an advanced sound organ will take time and a number of experiments. Unlike basic things, anything above a T3 strain has a chance of failure when prototyping. So I don't advise trying it for a while. Just find a real instrument in the mean time. I'll spawn a vuvuzela somewhere in the facility for you to find if it'll get you off the suicidal sillies idea train. Remember though, you aren't properly sapient yet. You also lack a concept of music.

((You're trying to get a very specific sound, never having heard it before and without any knowledge of how sound organs work, they aren't needed in a hivemind, why would you have data on them? Nor do you have an instinctual biomap of what would produce that sound. Compared to larva, which aren't intended to survive outside a host for long and you have an instinctual biomap of them. (Also something possible sciencewise).

((That ear was printed in a lab and grafted onto the rat. That's different from growing it out of the rat.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6