Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 158

Author Topic: Tech News. Automation, Engineering, Environment Etc  (Read 248275 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: Tech News. Automation, Engineering, Environment Etc
« Reply #195 on: October 13, 2016, 07:20:54 pm »

I thought they were supposed to run out eventually.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: October 13, 2016, 09:02:04 pm »

though they offered a nod to the correct pronunciation of .gif (like the peanut butter), they immediately reverted to the incorrect one.

ive never understood this

hard g gif is just as valid as soft g gif

its not like we call scuba "skubbah" just because the word "underwater" has a short vowel sound

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: October 13, 2016, 09:06:05 pm »

The guy who claims to have invented .gif gets offended by how no one says the extension right, or something.

Gifguy, if you're the only one pronouncing it like that, you have lost the pronouncing war.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: October 13, 2016, 09:47:51 pm »

though they offered a nod to the correct pronunciation of .gif (like the peanut butter), they immediately reverted to the incorrect one.

ive never understood this

hard g gif is just as valid as soft g gif

its not like we call scuba "skubbah" just because the word "underwater" has a short vowel sound
I do like to say "scuhba" and "jayfeg" but I say "ping" and "jif" because the creators said that is how .png and .gif are pronounced, just like imgur is "imijer" because that is how they said it is pronounced. Make a new format people use and say it should be pronounced a certain way, I'm on your side, you named it.

Fun fact, I sign my name Max™ and the ™ is pronounced "Thyme", usually a trademark symbol wouldn't be pronounced or you'd say "tee em" but that isn't a trademark symbol when I'm using it like that, it would be amusing if it meant I owned the rights to use the name Max, but it's just my name, Max Thyme, Max™ is almost always a valid name when signing up on a site and is never taken so, yoink.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 09:57:14 pm by Max™ »

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #199 on: October 14, 2016, 12:13:42 am »

I think it's weird to make an acronym and expect it to be pronounced as a word a certain way. It's an acronym, I'm going to gif it whatever pronunciation I want if I incorrectly shorten it to a syllable. </surly>
Since it's at ground-state it doesn't actually produce any energy, so probably not much.  They oscillate between two states at a constant rate forever, even past heat death.  There's probably not many applications outside of timey-wimey experimental shit, but I can't post memes about that.
I was more getting at the idea of using it for a computer. It doesn't produce energy, but that's good because it also doesn't waste it - it's an oscillator, but if you had the right type of crystal in the right arrangement, maybe you could make it act like transistors and a register? Ignoring quantum computation entirely, just the idea of a blob of computer enables things like Matrioshka brains without suns inside of them that will die out at some point. Of course, you have to expend energy to feed it data, and you'd probably wreck it getting it out, but once it's inside...

I mean the conditions used to make it are probably pretty nuts-cold and isolated from the real world, like with any research like this. I didn't look too closely. But nanowrimo is coming up, let me have my spoopy computronium =P
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: October 14, 2016, 12:41:38 am »

I thought they were supposed to run out eventually.

The mining reward drops to zero around the year 2140. There's actually an optional transaction fee, and miners can prioritize transactions which offer the highest fee, so there's an auction-system in terms of which transactions get processed in each block. Miners are actually offering their processor time to validating and recording transactions in the network. The existing mining fee is designed to seed the pool, and incentive transaction processing up until the point that transactions become the main income.

So everything fundamentally has market forces built into it. The amount of processing dedicated to bitcoin mining is dependent on the costs of creation, vs the rewards. And for transaction fees, a sub-market could even build up around that. Future miners after 2140 might reject transactions which have no fee attached, although some other miners might be more efficient, and accept lower fees on transactions, which allows them to process the block more quickly than the competition.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 12:56:12 am by Reelya »

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: October 14, 2016, 01:14:06 am »

just like imgur is "imijer" because that is how they said it is pronounced.

:o

...I think I managed to completely miss the correct pronunciation of "imgur" until now.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: October 14, 2016, 01:31:46 am »

Gif
Scooba
Imjer
lawl

Also I can't pronounce R after a TH sound without conscious effort.  If I'm not thinking about it it comes out "thow"
Shoes...

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: October 14, 2016, 01:38:13 am »

Hmmm, I think people are mistaking what a time crystal implies.

Making an oscillating system is easy, the default state of these ions when the initial spin-flip effect is applied is to begin oscillating. This is actually interesting because it is a case where the system would be expected to oscillate and have the interaction effects turned on in an opposite order and get the opposite oscillation pattern.

So the original state has the ions exhibiting regular magnetic field direction/strength flips:
1~~~~ 1~~~
~ 0 ~ 0~ 0 ~  etc, etc, etc
~~-1~~~~-1

The time crystal state:
1 0.9 0.8 0.75 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~ 0.7 0.65 0.6 ~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 0.5 0.4 0.35

So yeah, it's called a discrete time crystal because it's not exhibiting the expected temporal symmetry, while a regular crystal doesn't display a spatial symmetry, where the structure exhibits patterns in some directions but not all.
just like imgur is "imijer" because that is how they said it is pronounced.

:o

...I think I managed to completely miss the correct pronunciation of "imgur" until now.
Well it's a joke on "imager" and I went through the .gif argument on there before, came to a conclusion: you can pronounce them how you like, but you must use the same g for both, IMGRRR!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 02:10:27 am by Max™ »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: October 14, 2016, 05:31:49 am »

"image you're" for me.  (Just realised that's a hair's-breadth from "immature"...)
Hard-G "Giff" ("Giffy Girls" wouldn't sound right without it, or rather "Jraffix" Interchange Format).
"Loll"
"Jay-Peg", when not "(dot) Jay Pee Jee" for the (extension/)TLA version. (Or "Jay-Fiff", but not sure if above "jayfeg" was a typo, a compromise on "photo" or a standard I have overlooked).

Would one verbally abbreviate the Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology and Neuroscience as "Eye Oh Pee Pee Enn" or "Ih' O' Ss Ss Ne'"? Probably not the latter, as an initialism, not a phonititialism, which is a good argument that I already hear you formulating, but for those who say "Eye-Open" should they say "Eye-Ossen", instead?

(OTOH, I've been involved in something called the B.B.A.R., and though people do say "the Bar", not even "the B'bar", I do know that it has always been officially the full initialism, or "the Bee Bee Aye Arr". ('Aye' like "Hay", not "Hi", but ICBB to drag out the phonetic characters right now.) That there are subset and inspired-by Bee Aye Arrs, etc, it does actually need spelling out, though, to avoid confusion between different iterations of it.)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 05:35:56 am by Starver »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: October 14, 2016, 05:45:48 am »

Teasing about the photo so the p is a f sound, jayfeg.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: October 14, 2016, 06:18:53 am »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: October 14, 2016, 10:30:59 am »

Clearly with need 16 standards, not 15. 16 is more even after all. :P
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: October 14, 2016, 03:14:09 pm »

Ok, global meta-standard needed: "All sets of standards shall have an even number of standards within them".

(Is that the first and only meta-standard (uh oh!), or is it now one of 2n meta-standards or not?)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: October 14, 2016, 03:24:31 pm »

I would officially like to introduce the barber standard: the set of standards which apply to all standards which don't apply to themselves.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 158