Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 158

Author Topic: Tech News. Automation, Engineering, Environment Etc  (Read 248271 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tech News. Automation, Engineering, Environment Etc
« Reply #420 on: January 29, 2017, 08:34:45 am »

EDITED FOR CLARITY: Yeah, it's growing from next to nothing, which explains that the sector has 20 times the jobs growth of the economy. 20 times 0.1% is still virtually nothing right? If it was really small, that logic would work.

But the fact is, right now twice as many people are employed in solar vs oil+coal+gas, and it's growing 20 times faster than the national average, while oil+coal+gas employment is falling.

It would be funny if it was just the workers given how solar is typically depicted as being a very Worker light power source (which I doubt is true, but I have nothing that says otherwise)

In otherwords these statistics are front loaded silliness :P It hasn't stabilized yet and I don't think we can take it as the go to number.

Then again 20 times the average... when most energy sectors are also decreasing (and often for good reason). Goodness it kind of says a lot less on the virtue of Solar and so much that we are shifting energy priorities.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 08:37:39 am by Neonivek »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: January 29, 2017, 08:44:54 am »

dang it accidentally deleted my post...

Anyhow I accidentally found Reelya's source and it states that there are twice as many "Solar Workers" (as in people who do ANY job involved in Solar Energy, however temporary) then there are "Coal Miners"... As in people who only dig up coal.

Quite a bit different.

http://fortune.com/2015/01/16/solar-jobs-report-2014/

Makes sense given how many workers a typical solar farm needs (Solar Farms don't typically explode). I fully expect once the foundation/Infrastructure for solar is laid down... It will see quick and rapid shrinkage as they lose their excess employees.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 08:47:52 am by Neonivek »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: January 29, 2017, 09:23:19 am »

Hybrids were a bad move...
Now, hang on, efficiency oriented hybrids are a bit of a silly stopgap measure, yes.

That is far from the only thing they are used for though.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: January 29, 2017, 09:58:46 am »

The slashdot article specifically said "electrical generation" jobs.  It's figure 12 in the PDF from the department of energy:
https://www.energy.gov/sites/prod/files/2017/01/f34/2017%20US%20Energy%20and%20Jobs%20Report_0.pdf

"Fossil" employed 151000 people in 2016 compared to "Solar" with 373807 employees. Basically the article is about how in electric generation, all the growth is in solar and the traditional stuff is basically flatlined in employment. And this does in fact include people who work in coal power plants, it's all electrical generation jobs in the sector, not just mining.

Also in the report they note that many people in the "fuels" industry are over 55 (28% of the fossil fuel workers are over 55, only 12% of the electrical generation ones are). Basically the fuels industry for all their talk of job growth just aren't hiring young talent. They clearly know it's doomed if that's the case, and doomed within 20 years if they're not hiring right now.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 10:11:32 am by Reelya »

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: January 29, 2017, 03:03:42 pm »

Basically the fuels industry for all their talk of job growth just aren't hiring young talent. They clearly know it's doomed if that's the case, and doomed within 20 years if they're not hiring right now.

When the military has inexpensive access to renewables, the fuels industry will have its' death knell. Also there will be enough energy for WWIII probably so be prepared for some even more despicable shit done with more advanced tools.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: January 30, 2017, 12:41:24 am »

For ride-on mowers, there's probably a Top Gear about it which one's the fastest. j/k I don't watch the show.

EDIT: ah yes, they did do that apparently. I just learned a lesson not to joke about long-lasting pointless shows not having covered a specific thing. They have a lot of minutes to fill up.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: January 30, 2017, 02:32:17 am »

Dutch team of TU Delft won tonight's contest in Los Angeles to build the fastest, most reliable hyperloop capsule, leaving the team from M.I.T. and the German Warr Hyperloop to second and third place in the finals. Hah! Take that, M.I.T.!
While the Germans had a capsule that could go 94km/h, the SpaceX jury found that the Delft team, despite going 1 km/h slower, had the best overall score on cost, safety and efficiency.

The team from Delft plans to found a commercial company to exploit the new technology.

The original idea for the hyperloop comes from Elon Musk, who envisions it as a good way of fast transport between cities, and to speed development, wrote out a contest.
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/blog_attachments/hyperloop_alpha3.pdf

http://www.volkskrant.nl/wetenschap/delftse-studenten-winnen-hyperloopwedstrijd~a4455390/
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 02:36:04 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: February 02, 2017, 01:15:02 am »

The first plans have been released by University of Sussex researchers for a large-scale quantum computer, based on a modular approach. But basically, the design calls for something the size of "a large building" at present, although it would have truly monstrous computing power.
https://science.slashdot.org/story/17/02/02/002236/researchers-unveil-first-ever-blueprint-to-construct-a-large-scale-quantum-computer

Kinda sounds like something out of retro sci-fi: a skyscraper sized quantum superbrain that can compute anything. So yeah, sounds like a beast of a machine, but that's physicists for you, they're not computer designers, and I imagine actual computer scientists will take the physics ideas and turn that "large building" with a dedicated quantum superbrain into something more manageable.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: February 02, 2017, 04:36:05 am »

Large buidling is perfectly manageable; that's the scale of any cloud computing datacenter like AWS or any online services. More comes down to whether you have applications to justify the expense.

Sorta related, a Siggraph talk from last year about quantum computing for multisampling such as done by ganes or other CG: https://vimeo.com/180284417

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: February 02, 2017, 05:39:53 am »

Kinda sounds like something out of retro sci-fi: a skyscraper sized quantum superbrain that can compute anything. So yeah, sounds like a beast of a machine, but that's physicists for you, they're not computer designers, and I imagine actual computer scientists will take the physics ideas and turn that "large building" with a dedicated quantum superbrain into something more manageable.
Multivac->Microvac->etc...  ;)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: February 02, 2017, 05:54:17 am »

It's definitely fun to see some of the sci-fi predictions that seemed out there, and realize how the computers we have now are actually more amazing in many ways than what Asimov was describing there:

It was a nice feeling to have a Microvac of your own and Jerrodd was glad he was part of his generation and no other. In his father's youth, the only computers had been tremendous machines taking up a hundred square miles of land. There was only one to a planet. Planetary ACs they were called. They had been growing in size steadily for a thousand years and then, all at once, came refinement. In place of transistors had come molecular valves so that even the largest Planetary AC could be put into a space only half the volume of a spaceship.

... and here I usually go off to college with a computer in my pocket (phone), another computer on my keychain (a storage one), and a couple of computers in my backpack (tablet and laptop), also I could cart along my mobile wifi hub, Nintendo DS, and if I really wanted to could get a digital watch and blutooth headphones, and I still probably wouldn't have as a many computing devices on me as some other people.

Now the population doubles every ten years --"

VJ-23X interrupted. "We can thank immortality for that."
To be honest, only a man would write that. I need to work out the maths for this, but it seems excessive. e.g. if each woman had two kids, around age 20, then became immortal, then each 20 years, you're creating another breeding pair for each previous breeding pair. But the total number of "current breeders" only goes up linearly. So you'd have to assume an average number of children > 2 per woman. Perhaps the average family size is 4, with a median mother's age of 20. Then you'd get on average a doubling of the breeding population every 20 years (1 couple turned into two couples). But this is still only half the doubling rate Asimov suggests. Therefore either the mother's average age of birth is 10 years (all the nopes) or each mother is giving birth to 8 kids on average, at a median age of 20. Assuming 18 months as the minimum between kids for healthy babies, the mother needs to pop out 8 kids over 12 years centered on age 20, for Asimov's numbers to work out, so they start'em young in Asimov world.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 06:18:22 am by Reelya »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
._.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: February 02, 2017, 08:15:50 am »

dang, that looks good
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: February 02, 2017, 08:23:16 am »

It's weird how it clearly still has the front legs of a quadruped, but I guess those are so it can push itself back up if it falls over.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: February 02, 2017, 08:26:15 am »

Replace with very rugged manipulator claws (something with rubber knuckles?), and attach some automated weaponry, and you have a very nasty terminator prototype.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 158